What are the symptoms of being underpowered?
Oct 17, 2009 at 3:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

RatFarm

100+ Head-Fier
Hi Head-Fi'rs,

I have a pair (why do we call headphones a pair when it's only 1?) of AKG K701 headphones and a brand new Pioneer SC-25 Elite reciever. My source is a Slimdevices Squeezebox connected via glass toslink. The K701s have over 300 hours of use on them so I would think they are breken in by now. Using any of the listening modes (pure direct sounds best) the sound quality is very detailed and open with a nice midrange fullness. I can crank the volume to uncomfortable levels and there is no distortion whatsoever. However, from mid-low bass on down it is lacking big time. Upright acoustic bass, kick drums, pipe organ (I don't expect much here), etc.. lack volume and detail. They are basically MIA. Is this a sign of being underpowered or impedance issues? Let me reiterate that there is no distortion when played loudly so I guess I'm a bit confused. The K701's played thru my Auzentech Prelude X-FI soundcard in my PC sound more full bodied but don't even come close to the midrange pureness of the Pioneer. How do I get the bass?

Oct 17, 2009 at 4:31 PM Post #2 of 7
Basss detail you should get but not much quantity in term of bass. K701 is bass light for most people so a safer bet would be trying other headphones I suppose if you really need more bass. Could also use more unorthodox solutions get a transducer for your chair. Mine mated very well with the K701 and if you use your receiver for watching movies it´s a really good investment.

Oct 17, 2009 at 4:59 PM Post #3 of 7
Underpowered would in most cases mean an opaque and thin sound and a definite hardening of the sound at already slightly higher volume levels and this isn't the case with your set-up.

I have to agree with oqvist, maybe the 701's aren't for you.

Oct 17, 2009 at 5:34 PM Post #4 of 7
Same reason it's a pair of glasses I guess
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 17, 2009 at 5:41 PM Post #5 of 7
I owned a pair of K701's a while back. They lack bass fullness and are a little bright for my taste. The guy I sold them to loves them. Go figure...

Oct 17, 2009 at 6:16 PM Post #6 of 7
Bass requires more power than the mids and highs - you need the power to move the cone for large bass excursions.

So if there isn't enough power, you'll most notice it in the low end. The bass can be sloppy, fat and imprecise and/or the amp will clip.

And the K-701/2 might not be your headphone.... I've never cared for them.

Oct 17, 2009 at 7:28 PM Post #7 of 7
It's a shame that the K701s are known to be bass lean. They really do have a wonderful openess about them that the Senn HD600s (my previous cans) never had. I guess I could spring for some HD800s this xmas but I'm worried about opening a can of worms in the sense of escalating costs vs benefit. I have not tried adjusting EQ on the Pioneer to compensate (and I'm not sure it's possible when it senses headphone output). So close to nirvana yet so far...
confused_face_2.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back