What are three Good 'Schiit-Grade' First IEMs (with Soundstage!) to try?
Sep 30, 2021 at 12:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

tlite

Head-Fier
Title pretty much says it all. I'm new to everything, wanting to try IEM's to see if I like 'em.

I tend to go for the entry to mid-grade stuff that punches above it's weight class initially while I get a feel for stuff.

Then if I upgrade to something else or try something else I have a benchmark. Think products of comparable value/quality to Schiit, Dragonfly, Topping, etc.

Budget- whatever gets me to that point where stuff starts to be decent, but thinking < $250?

Trying to narrow the field to at most three to try that might be good representations of IEM's?

FWIW I prioritize soundstage over other factors. I also tend toward neutral to warm sounding stuff. I also don't mind a little bit of bass emphasis but not looking to rattle my brain.

I have a Schiit Magni 3+, or may just listen through a Dragonfly Red with a PC or phone.

I listen to Americana, Rock, and the Hippety-Hop mostly.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2021 at 2:33 PM Post #2 of 19
Are you opposed to buying used? If not, the LZ A7 (tons of tuning options) should probably be on your short list, and they come up in the classifieds somewhat regularly right around the top of your budget.

The Audiosense AQ7 can be found around $250 used occasionally as well, and is one of my favorites at that price point. Crinacle hates it, which helps keep prices down. :wink:

An alternate to the AQ7 would be the Moondrop Blessing 2 / Blessing 2 Dusk. Should be in budget used, very well regarded all-rounder.

Finally, with two hybrids you should probably pick up a single DD set. I'd recommend the Tanchjim Oxygen, but there are many other options around that price point.

You might also consider getting something "unusual" like the Etymotic ER4XR; it uses a single full range BA driver. I don't recommend the SE unless you want /ruler/ flat response. The XR bass boost is minimal.

Soundstage /exists/ with IEMs, but I've yet to hear anything that can compete with open back over ear headphones there.

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2021 at 2:48 PM Post #3 of 19
Are you opposed to buying used?
To the contrary- I prefer buying used! And thank you for the suggestions! I'll go down the rabbithole on those IEMs shortly.

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2021 at 10:07 PM Post #4 of 19
To the contrary- I prefer buying used! And thank you for the suggestions! I'll go down the rabbithole on those IEMs shortly.
No problem.

Depending what comes with the sets you end up with you may want to budget for a few sets of aftermarket ear tips as well - Spinfit and Final are very popular options, as well as various foam tips. Tip fit makes a /huge/ difference with IEMs, much more so than swapping pads with headphones in my experience.

Sep 30, 2021 at 10:23 PM Post #5 of 19
No problem.

Depending what comes with the sets you end up with you may want to budget for a few sets of aftermarket ear tips as well - Spinfit and Final are very popular options, as well as various foam tips. Tip fit makes a /huge/ difference with IEMs, much more so than swapping pads with headphones in my experience.
Good advice. Earbuds always fall out of my ears but I like the sound while they’re in. I’ll look into the tips you recommended as well.

Oct 1, 2021 at 3:25 AM Post #6 of 19
Title pretty much says it all. I'm new to everything, wanting to try IEM's to see if I like 'em.

I tend to go for the entry to mid-grade stuff that punches above it's weight class initially while I get a feel for stuff.

Then if I upgrade to something else or try something else I have a benchmark. Think products of comparable value/quality to Schiit, Dragonfly, Topping, etc.

Budget- whatever gets me to that point where stuff starts to be decent, but thinking < $250?

Trying to narrow the field to at most three to try that might be good representations of IEM's?

FWIW I prioritize soundstage over other factors. I also tend toward neutral to warm sounding stuff. I also don't mind a little bit of bass emphasis but not looking to rattle my brain.

I have a Schiit Magni 3+, or may just listen through a Dragonfly Red with a PC or phone.

I listen to Americana, Rock, and the Hippety-Hop mostly.

Thanks!
Have to say, I've found the Unique Melody 3DT to be excellent value-for-money, and at $310 new you should be able to find them closer to $200 second-hand in the Classifieds.

As an all-DD design, they have a very natural-sounding timbre, strong but not overwhelming bass, and good soundstage for the price. They appreciate a bit of power, your Magni 3+ would drive them well.

They are a bit larger, but are lightweight, so fit is typically not a problem, but selecting the right tips is always key. I tried heaps of tips before finally using the ones that came in the box, and realised they are actually perfect for me.

Oct 1, 2021 at 4:10 PM Post #7 of 19
Another one to think about - the 7hz Timeless is a single driver planar IEM that can be had for $210-230 via AliExpress. Largely positive reviews. I'm a fan of planar drivers in headphones but single driver planar IEMs tend to be a little "wonky" in their frequency response. See the Audize iSine series, which most seem to agree basically need the Cypher amp/DAC cable - which does a ton of EQ. The Timeless is supposed to have much better out-of-the-box frequency response.

Edit: on second thought, the general consensus seems to be that soundstage isn't great with these ('compressed') so they may not be for you.

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2021 at 5:39 PM Post #8 of 19
Might want to look at the Final Audio A4000. A lot of people say its soundstage is comparable to the Senn HD800. Which, y'know, when a $150 IEM can compete with headphones that cost nearly 10x the price, pretty exceptional.

Oct 1, 2021 at 11:36 PM Post #9 of 19
Really appreciate the suggestions. I’m watching the classifieds…

Oct 2, 2021 at 1:07 PM Post #10 of 19
Think the Moondrop Aria 2 would make any sense?

Oct 2, 2021 at 1:10 PM Post #11 of 19
Not bad for an inexpensive single DD to give you an idea if you like them, no.

Oct 3, 2021 at 6:38 AM Post #12 of 19
Try the Moondrop Quarks for $20. They have a pretty big soundstage especially for their shell size

For 1 BA driver, try the Shure AONIC3, to get a taste of how a good single BA sounds like. Mid-centric, and very clear. Not so warm and bassy though

But if you prefer a warmer sound, then the Shure AONIC4 or 425 might fit the bill with their fuller lows

FiiO FD3 also sounded nice for around $100. A single DD, with semi-open shell design. They're a bit on the warmer side, which may suit your preference more

Oct 3, 2021 at 1:09 PM Post #13 of 19
Try the Moondrop Quarks for $20. They have a pretty big soundstage especially for their shell size

For 1 BA driver, try the Shure AONIC3, to get a taste of how a good single BA sounds like. Mid-centric, and very clear. Not so warm and bassy though

But if you prefer a warmer sound, then the Shure AONIC4 or 425 might fit the bill with their fuller lows

FiiO FD3 also sounded nice for around $100. A single DD, with semi-open shell design. They're a bit on the warmer side, which may suit your preference more
Man, those Quarks are $13. Crazy cheap. Will keep an eye out for the others as well.

Oct 3, 2021 at 2:52 PM Post #14 of 19
Yes Aria makes lots of sense, it’s a very nice IEM that won’t break the bank.

It’ll give you a good yardstick to compare with others to work out where else you may go, and it’s a nice neutral smooth listen in its own right. I use mine mostly for watching Netflix with my iPad, and sometimes when I can’t be bothered taking something “better” with me outside.

Oct 3, 2021 at 8:18 PM Post #15 of 19
Well, I went totally rogue and bought some Tanchjim Tanya's. Not the craziest thing ever but whilst looking into the Quarks, the Tanya's seemed to compare favorably? And while nearly twice the price, they're still under $25. Going to keep watching the classifieds but hopefully these will give me a benchmark.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back