What Are You Listening To Right Now?
Dec 22, 2014 at 11:53 PM Post #57,197 of 137,340

Sad day... 
frown.gif

Dec 23, 2014 at 9:29 AM Post #57,202 of 137,340
I've finally caved in to the season, and am currently cleaning the house for Christmas while listening to a couple of my all-time favourite Christmas albums:

This album is pure bliss. Norwegian pianist, jazz musician, composer and electronica enthusiast Bugge Wesseltoft leaves jazz and electronica alone for forty-five minutes or so, giving us some low-key, stripped down and beautiful versions of both Christmas classics and his own compositions.

The opposite extreme would be this, I guess - too much of everything can be a good thing every now and then.

(Once Bugge is done doing his thing, this album is next - and later tonight, I'll dig out a couple of Springsteen and Grateful Dead Christmas gigs - while The Crystals do a wonderful 'Santa Claus is coming to town', Bruce's live versions with a full E Street Band backing him are just other-worldly...)

Dec 23, 2014 at 10:48 AM Post #57,203 of 137,340

Dec 23, 2014 at 5:01 PM Post #57,208 of 137,340
  I've finally caved in to the season, and am currently cleaning the house for Christmas while listening to a couple of my all-time favourite Christmas albums:

This album is pure bliss. Norwegian pianist, jazz musician, composer and electronica enthusiast Bugge Wesseltoft leaves jazz and electronica alone for forty-five minutes or so, giving us some low-key, stripped down and beautiful versions of both Christmas classics and his own compositions.

Wow, really enjoyed that one on Spotify. Might have to search for the CD, any recommendation for a first to listen to on his regular albums?

Dec 23, 2014 at 5:20 PM Post #57,209 of 137,340
Wow, really enjoyed that one on Spotify. Might have to search for the CD, any recommendation for a first to listen to on his regular albums?

-He's been doing all sorts of stuff with all sorts of people, a lot of which is genre-defying, so the answer probably is a resounding 'it depends'...

Seeing as I am a big Jan Garbarek fan, I think I'd suggest one of their collaborations - 'I took up the runes' or 'Rites'. The former contains one of Garbarek's arguably most accessible works, the Molde Canticle.  Both are excellent, though.

Bugge first made his mark with his 'New conceptions of jazz...' series - a fusion of jazz and electronica which for the most part isn't quite my cup of tea. He's a terrific live artist though; if you like the New conceptions... Live album, chances are you'll want to dip into that part of his catalogue, too. His solo albums, 'I'm' and 'Playing' did for the most part get favourable reviews, too - but I haven't really listened to either of them, I'm afraid.

Dec 23, 2014 at 6:27 PM Post #57,210 of 137,340

Users who are viewing this thread

Back