What Are You Listening To Right Now?
Jul 10, 2021 at 8:35 AM Post #105,616 of 136,830
IMO brilliant debut by one of the greatest vocalists in popular music. Entire album is excellent with "Troy" being the standout. Well recorded despite times where some mic break-up/distortion creeps in when O'Connor's fury and desperation crescendos.

There was a time when I thought these distortions must be due to a mis-matched audio recording chain with Ms. O'Connor's considerable range and attack.

(Update: So it turns out the distortion on "Troy" is a well-known issue with specific versions of the CD. Found out the version on "Best of...so far" is clean. So just ordered on Amazon. Really odd I didn't look into this sooner 😃)

Her tortured vocals don't ebb and flow, rather they swing dramatically at an instant.

But, unlike the drama of, say, Maria Carey, (IMO) O'Connor's emotive vocals aren't for show, but in service of raw emotion and passion for the storytelling.

However, these distortions seem less apparent on better gear (Empyrean and R28 have no issue), which leads me to believe what I'm hearing maybe due to an amp's inability to properly reproduce the sudden transients and dynamics in the recording. Between the vocals and orchestral arrangement, I think "Troy" presents a pretty difficult load on audio gear. But I'm no expert. Just theorizing.

(Update: So I guess my theory is full of 💩😁😉)

Anyway, The Lion and the Cobra is an excellent record from one of my favorite female vocalists (Kate Bush being the ultimate expression of passion and elegance).

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2021 at 9:59 AM Post #105,617 of 136,830
From a random playlist on the way to work:

JBatRS.jpg
"Big Block"

Followed by:
FoDM.jpg
"Blood of the Earth", I simply love the tone of the vibes in this song. Used almost too sparingly to accent the other music. Up next:

manchild.jpg
"Bubbles". Manchild and Headhunters have been favorite funk/ jazz records of mine for a long time.

Finally,
Blind Faith.jpg
"Can't Find My Way Home".

I had no trouble finding my way home that afternoon. This mix almost made it worthwhile going in to work, though.

Jul 10, 2021 at 10:31 AM Post #105,620 of 136,830
This is beautiful! I love it, and thanks for sharing! I will be playing this song everyday first when I get home from work to relax.

Yes a stunning album, perfect to relax and made for earphones! Enjoy.

Jul 10, 2021 at 6:58 PM Post #105,626 of 136,830
Handel: Organ Concertos Op. 4 & Op. 7
Martin Haselböck
Jeremy Joseph
Orchester Wiener Akademie

A14MiPme4hS._SS500_.jpg

Beautiful new 2-CD set, played on the Rieger organ in the Vienna Musikverein. Listening on my Sennheiser HD 660 S—what a gorgeous sonic experience, marvelously resplendent! And of course, the concerti themselves are masterpieces by the great G. F. Handel.

Jul 10, 2021 at 7:09 PM Post #105,627 of 136,830
Sometimes overlooked. Sometimes underrated. At least IMHO. I really like this particular album. A must in any Jazz collection.

2644CBCB-2C70-47AF-9EAF-A1759503A29B.jpeg

Jul 10, 2021 at 7:45 PM Post #105,628 of 136,830
Some amazing, tasteful chilled electronic from Aes Dana. It's sort of journey from start to finish, so I advise listening to the whole thing.
All their albums are generally good. I was using a TR-X00 with Lambskin TH900 pads and attenuation ring, they are built for electronic music. :gs1000smile:

Artist: Aes Dana
Album: Perimeters.

FLAC Deezer. https://www.deezer.com/en/album/122532442

First Track: Anthrazit

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back