What do you recommend for a portable Flac Player/amplifier combination?
Sep 2, 2012 at 10:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

homierocky

New Head-Fier
I don't know if this type of thread has ever been created, but I am interested in buying a high quality portable audio player that plays FLAC audio, as well as a high-end portable amplifier. I am currently using a 4th generation iPod Touch (64GB), paired with a Fiio e5 amplifier and Sony XB-1000 headphones, but it seems as if it only boosts the volume, and my music sounds "hollow", if that makes any sense. What do you recommend I purchase (up to $1,200 total)?

Please also share what portable combination you use as well, thank you very much!!!!

Sep 3, 2012 at 10:18 PM Post #2 of 8
Ibasso DX100 (about $900) or add a CLAS/MK3 ($1200) and convert your FLAC files to ALAC. I have both rigs and they're both phenomenal. The Ibasso can play higher bit rates if you have vinyls, SACD's, DVD-A (the latter two I convert to 24/192 FLAC).

Oct 13, 2012 at 2:42 AM Post #3 of 8
I have the DX100 and have auditioned it with amps, like the ALO RXmk3. The RXmk3 improved on the sound ever so slightly, giving it that fun bassy spirit, but in general I would never use amps with my DX100.
It's meant to be an all-in-one solution and sounds amazing by itself. It's got a great dac and an amp that performs to spec (low output impedance) and I enjoy it a lot on its own. Other players may benefit from an amp or DAC/transport because either factors may be lacking in stock form, however I personally find it a little impractical to add an additional amp or dac to the already great sounding and bulky enough DX100.

Oct 13, 2012 at 7:54 AM Post #4 of 8
You could try the flacplayer app  (it also has a 10 band equalizer and gain for that extra boost) for the ipod touch also.

a free eq app is Denon audio (for alac etc).

Oct 23, 2012 at 5:23 PM Post #6 of 8
Hifiman HM-602 and 602 only. It has plenty of juice to power most IEMs and a lot of full-sized as well.

Oct 23, 2012 at 7:22 PM Post #7 of 8
I've been using an US Galaxy S3 16GB+64GB microSDXC card --> USB audio --> HeadAmp Pico USB DAC/amp (so using the Pico DAC and amp) --> Full sized cans

Unfortunately the Pico doesn't work with the International S3 or my Galaxy Note 2, so I am getting a Leckterton UHA-6S.MKII and RSA Intruder to use instead (figured I will try out both).

For some like me this is a great solution, since I use my phone for music and have the added benefit of being able to use the USB DAC/amp with my laptop also (Samsung are very likely to support USB audio in their high-end phones from here on out too, which means no matter what DAC they include and/or how crappy its implementation, I know I'm covered).

Certainly won't be for everyone, but I like it.

Will be nice when 128GB cards come out, since that will mean I very nearly go all FLAC on my portable.

Oct 24, 2012 at 2:00 PM Post #8 of 8
I've been using an US Galaxy S3 16GB+64GB microSDXC card --> USB audio --> HeadAmp Pico USB DAC/amp (so using the Pico DAC and amp) --> Full sized cans

Unfortunately the Pico doesn't work with the International S3 or my Galaxy Note 2, so I am getting a Leckterton UHA-6S.MKII and RSA Intruder to use instead (figured I will try out both).

For some like me this is a great solution, since I use my phone for music and have the added benefit of being able to use the USB DAC/amp with my laptop also (Samsung are very likely to support USB audio in their high-end phones from here on out too, which means no matter what DAC they include and/or how crappy its implementation, I know I'm covered).

Certainly won't be for everyone, but I like it.

Will be nice when 128GB cards come out, since that will mean I very nearly go all FLAC on my portable.

+1 on gs3 or note2 with usb/dac

Users who are viewing this thread

Back