What do you think must have headphones in a collection are?
Aug 22, 2022 at 12:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

chef8489

Headphoneus Supremus
Well it has been several years since I have been in the game, but as of this week I have a Schiit Lyr 3 with a multibit dac arriving again and a pair of Dan Clark Aeon open X and a pair of Audeze Lcd-2c. I know its not much, but my living condition currently money is not great and I gave my portable setups away to my mom and step dad for Christmas( se200 and se100) and I really miss decent music. So what do you guys think are a must for a small collection of headphones?? I keep looking at Focal Elex, but not sure, kinda miss my hd6xx and k7xx of the past. Not so sure about Hifiman.

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2022 at 12:52 AM Post #2 of 30
You say ‘I know it’s not much’ - but you are off to a great second beginning with the gear listed! You should rekindle the HD6XX flame. It will be great with Lyr 3 (I use this pairing: 🎵).

Aug 22, 2022 at 12:59 AM Post #3 of 30
You say ‘I know it’s not much’ - but you are off to a great second beginning with the gear listed! You should rekindle the HD6XX flame. It will be great with Lyr 3 (I use this pairing: 🎵).
I loved the Lyr 3 when I had it before. I had to purchase it while I could as it is now discontinued and I have limited space and needed the dac/amp combo. Im sure the lyr+ is a good amp, but it doesn't have the option for the dac. Hopefully the Lyr 3 and the Aeons will be here tomorrow if fed-ex doesn't mess up and the LCD-2c will be here Wednesday. I remembering ditching the hd6xx last time because I felt the lcd-2c blew them out of the water and I kept the k7xx and lcd-2c. sold off all my other cans like the purple hearts, emu teaks and so on.

Aug 22, 2022 at 1:09 AM Post #4 of 30
If you scroll through the 650 / 6XX threads / posts in the ‘Headphones - full size’ forum, you can find out about an inexpensive Custom Cans UK modification that takes 6XX (+ the other sixes) to another level entirely.

Aug 22, 2022 at 6:53 AM Post #5 of 30
LCD-2C is a great all around headphone with no obvious problems. And it is a good complement when you buy an HD 600 in the future. Notice I said HD 600 and not 650, 6XX, etc. Those are for girls :wink:

Aug 23, 2022 at 10:45 PM Post #6 of 30
If you liked the K7XX you'd probably enjoy the Q701 quite a bit an you can find the made in Austria models of them for very modest prices. I have owned both and the Q701 has a similar flavor and tends to be available cheap because its not as well known as the K700 series AKGs.

The other thing I see is that you went with two open back options. Nice picks by the way, I am a big fan of DCA headphones and liked the 2Cs while I had them as well. Back to the point though, adding a closed back seems like a good way to go. The Aeon X Closed is on sale on Drop for $429 brand new right now and, IMO, they're worth every bit of that. Those EMU Teaks you sold before are a great "fun" option to have around. AKG's K553 MKIIs are on sale on Amazon for $139 brand new because AKG is closing out their mid level headphones from what I understand so if you're looking for a neutral/reference closed back addition they punch well above their weight especially for that price. I also just saw a Denon D5200 closed back sale somewhere a day or two ago that was a good deal as well.

If you want that AKG open back dynamic sound and you're willing to spend a bit more than the K700 series you can find the K812 Pros going for pretty reasonable prices on the used market right now. I LOVE my K812s. They're definitely an underrated pair IMO. Their bass reaches deep, they retrieve tons of detail, and give you that classic AKG house sound and soundstage taken to the next level, IMO. Since you like the K7XX, I think you'd love the K812 or even the K872 (which I also love) if you want that kind of tuning in cosed version.

If you have some more hints for specific use cases you might be looking to fill that your Aeon X Open and LCD-2C don't fill I could probably give you some more siggestions. Either way, you're off to a hell of a restart! I hope you find what you're looking for and that your second rodeo is a long and happy one!

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2022 at 11:35 PM Post #7 of 30
If you liked the K7XX you'd probably enjoy the Q701 quite a bit an you can find the made in Austria models of them for very modest prices. I have owned both and the Q701 has a similar flavor and tends to be available cheap because its not as well known as the K700 series AKGs.

The other thing I see is that you went with two open back options. Nice picks by the way, I am a big fan of DCA headphones and liked the 2Cs while I had them as well. Back to the point though, adding a closed back seems like a good way to go. The Aeon X Closed is on sale on Drop for $429 brand new right now and, IMO, they're worth every bit of that. Those EMU Teaks you sold before are a great "fun" option to have around. AKG's K553 MKIIs are on sale on Amazon for $139 brand new because AKG is closing out their mid level headphones from what I understand so if you're looking for a neutral/reference closed back addition they punch well above their weight especially for that price. I also just saw a Denon D5200 closed back sale somewhere a day or two ago that was a good deal as well.

If you want that AKG open back dynamic sound and you're willing to spend a bit more than the K700 series you can find the K812 Pros going for pretty reasonable prices on the used market right now. I LOVE my K812s. Their definitely an underrated pair IMO. Their bass reaches deep, they retrieve tons of detail, and give you that classic AKG house sound and soundstage taken to the next level, IMO. Since you like the K7XX, I think you'd love the K812 or even the K872 (which I also love) if you want that kind of tuning in cosed version.

If you have some more hints for specific use cases you might be looking to fill that your Aeon X Open and LCD-2C don't fill I could probably give you some more siggestions. Either way, you're off to a hell of a restart! I hope you find what you're looking for and that your second rodeo is a long and happy one!
I'm not really big on neutral sounding headphones and I'm fairly sensitive to highs and sibilance. Some closed backs I have been looking at are the dt1770 and the elegia. I have also been looking at the elex for open backs and might like a pair of akg again as I loved the fit of them.

Aug 23, 2022 at 11:41 PM Post #8 of 30
I'm not really big on neutral sounding headphones and I'm fairly sensitive to highs and sibilance. Some closed backs I have been looking at are the dt1770 and the elegia. I have also been looking at the elex for open backs and might like a pair of akg again as I loved the fit of them.

I will think on some options, but for me the treble on the DT1770s is a ringy, annoying mess and I'm not very treble sensitive at all so I would try before you buy on those or purchase from Amazon or somewhere else with similarly lax return policy. I'll let you know if I come up with anything else, but the AKG Q701, K812 Pro, and K872 all sound like possibilities. Two more questions: Are you just looking to buy new or are you willing to look used? And do you have a budget in mind?

Aug 23, 2022 at 11:49 PM Post #9 of 30
I will think on some options, but for me the treble on the DT1770s is a ringy, annoying mess and I'm not very treble sensitive at all so I would try before you buy on those or purchase from Amazon or somewhere else with similarly lax return policy. I'll let you know if I come up with anything else, but the AKG Q701, K812 Pro, and K872 all sound like possibilities. Two more questions: Are you just looking to buy new or are you willing to look used? And do you have a budget in mind?
Used is a possible solution depending on condition. I don't want to have to replace pads or headbands. Budget right now I am unsure of. Just spent around 2k getting back in the game on the 3 items I just bought.

Aug 24, 2022 at 12:39 AM Post #10 of 30
Used is a possible solution depending on condition. I don't want to have to replace pads or headbands. Budget right now I am unsure of. Just spent around 2k getting back in the game on the 3 items I just bought.

A cheaper closed back option that I got yo listen to and liked quite a bit as a fun headphonr with some kick is the Drop+Hifiman HE-R7DX. I actually liked it quite a bit more than the HE-R9. If you're looking for a basshead set the Meze 99 Classics or Noires are popular. I replaced my Classics with the Teaks because I like the tighter bass and better technicalities, but I know more than a few bass lovers who dig the Meze 99 sets.

You could get the Aeon X Closed if you want a twin closed planar to match your open Aeon Xs. Two other closed planar options that I hear good things about are the Monoprice/Monolith 1070C and 1570C. They're like $330 and $530 reapectively.

The Sony MDR-Z7M2 closed backs have are well loved by those who like Sony's typically laid back tuning profile. They're like $600 new I think, but I see them around used in excellent condition in the $350 to $450 range and sometimes less if seller is looking for a quick flip. I have never been the biggest fan of Sony's headphones, but I heard them and actually thought they sounded pretty good though tubes might bring a little too much warmth to the table for an already laid back pair.

I also got to listen to thr HarmonicDyne Zeus and Poseidon for a week and was pleasantly surprised by both of them. The have a nice warm musicality to them and they look great in person too. They're relatively affordable. If I hadn't just spent $4k on my Stealths and HD800Ss I might have bought a pair just to have around. Though my collection is a bit much at this point so I'll probably thin the heard before making any new purchases.

This might sound funny, but I have been loving the premium earbud game lately. Maybe a nice highish end bud would suit you. Just throwin' out options haha!

I'm sure some more options might pop into my head...

Aug 24, 2022 at 1:03 AM Post #11 of 30
A cheaper closed back option that I got yo listen to and liked quite a bit as a fun headphonr with some kick is the Drop+Hifiman HE-R7DX. I actually liked it quite a bit more than the HE-R9. If you're looking for a basshead set the Meze 99 Classics or Noires are popular. I replaced my Classics with the Teaks because I like the tighter bass and better technicalities, but I know more than a few bass lovers who dig the Meze 99 sets.

You could get the Aeon X Closed if you want a twin closed planar to match your open Aeon Xs. Two other closed planar options that I hear good things about are the Monoprice/Monolith 1070C and 1570C. They're like $330 and $530 reapectively.

The Sony MDR-Z7M2 closed backs have are well loved by those who like Sony's typically laid back tuning profile. They're like $600 new I think, but I see them around used in excellent condition in the $350 to $450 range and sometimes less if seller is looking for a quick flip. I have never been the biggest fan of Sony's headphones, but I heard them and actually thought they sounded pretty good though tubes might bring a little too much warmth to the table for an already laid back pair.

I also got to listen to thr HarmonicDyne Zeus and Poseidon for a week and was pleasantly surprised by both of them. The have a nice warm musicality to them and they look great in person too. They're relatively affordable. If I hadn't just spent $4k on my Stealths and HD800Ss I might have bought a pair just to have around. Though my collection is a bit much at this point so I'll probably thin the heard before making any new purchases.

This might sound funny, but I have been loving the premium earbud game lately. Maybe a nice highish end bud would suit you. Just throwin' out options haha!

I'm sure some more options might pop into my head...
I only do custom in ears and only when portable, but I gave my portable daps away to my mom and step-dad for Christmas this past year thus why I am back in the desktop game. Eventually I'd like to kettle an A&k sp200t, but it's not a priority as I just gave away my se100 and se200.

In the past I really liked the oppo pm2 and pm1 and even the pm3. They are what opened my eyes to planars. I have yet to try any hifiman.

Aug 24, 2022 at 1:33 AM Post #12 of 30
I only do custom in ears and only when portable, but I gave my portable daps away to my mom and step-dad for Christmas this past year thus why I am back in the desktop game. Eventually I'd like to kettle an A&k sp200t, but it's not a priority as I just gave away my se100 and se200.

In the past I really liked the oppo pm2 and pm1 and even the pm3. They are what opened my eyes to planars. I have yet to try any hifiman.

Maybe Hifiman Sundaras would be a good choice if you'd like to see what Hifiman is all about. Not my personal favorite, but incredibly popular. I preferred the HE-400i to the Sundara, FWIW. Both are right around $300 new I believe.

If you'd like a cool pair of headphones that you can use stock or mod til your heart's content the Fostex T60RP is a modders wet dream. I don't know if you're into that sorta thing, but they're an interesting option.

The JVC HASW01 from their wood series is a lesser known and relatively affordable option that I have heard good things about. I've been looking to try a pair myself. Another wood closed back that I have heard and liked was the AudioTechnica ATH-WP900. They're a little more expensive (I think $625 at the shop I demoed at), but they have a smooth presentation with a nice organic timbre to them that I found pretty enjoyable.

Since you're already looking at a Beyer closed back I find the T1 gen3 to be a pretty good listen if you're into the Beyer "house sound." For me they don't have the ringing/sibilance that I get from the 770/1770. I also still find a good pair of Beyer DT880s to be nice as well. Between the 770, 880, and 990, I prefer the 880s.

I was mostly joking about the earbuds since you were obviously asking about over ears. I wasn't joking about how much I have grown to like them since rediscovering them a few months back, though.

Hopefully these suggestions are at least giving you some inspiration lol! I'll post any others I think of later unless if you still want more suggestions. Thus far I have been trying to keep the picks relatively affordable so as not to tax your wallet too hard, but if you'd like more of the $1k and up type picks just let me know.

Aug 24, 2022 at 1:58 AM Post #13 of 30
Maybe Hifiman Sundaras would be a good choice if you'd like to see what Hifiman is all about. Not my personal favorite, but incredibly popular. I preferred the HE-400i to the Sundara, FWIW. Both are right around $300 new I believe.

If you'd like a cool pair of headphones that you can use stock or mod til your heart's content the Fostex T60RP is a modders wet dream. I don't know if you're into that sorta thing, but they're an interesting option.

The JVC HASW01 from their wood series is a lesser known and relatively affordable option that I have heard good things about. I've been looking to try a pair myself. Another wood closed back that I have heard and liked was the AudioTechnica ATH-WP900. They're a little more expensive (I think $625 at the shop I demoed at), but they have a smooth presentation with a nice organic timbre to them that I found pretty enjoyable.

Since you're already looking at a Beyer closed back I find the T1 gen3 to be a pretty good listen if you're into the Beyer "house sound." For me they don't have the ringing/sibilance that I get from the 770/1770. I also still find a good pair of Beyer DT880s to be nice as well. Between the 770, 880, and 990, I prefer the 880s.

I was mostly joking about the earbuds since you were obviously asking about over ears. I wasn't joking about how much I have grown to like them since rediscovering them a few months back, though.

Hopefully these suggestions are at least giving you some inspiration lol! I'll post any others I think of later unless if you still want more suggestions. Thus far I have been trying to keep the picks relatively affordable so as not to tax your wallet too hard, but if you'd like more of the $1k and up type picks just let me know.
I have had the beyer t1 and the t5 in the past, but they were gen 1 when they first came out. I don't remember how they sounded. That was about a decade ago.

As for modding, that's not really my thing.

Last edited:
Aug 24, 2022 at 4:03 AM Post #15 of 30
Take a closer look at the Quad ERA-1 headphones. If I had a choice between the Meze Empyrean or the Quad ERA-1, I'd probably keep the Quad ERA-1.

I remember trying those out. I have a fairly big head and at the smallest size setting they were pretty loose which ended up causing a hot spot on the top of my ears. I also remember thinking they sounded pretty good. They were warm for a planar, IIRC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back