What do your headphones symbolise to you?
Feb 26, 2021 at 10:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

digitaldestiny

New Head-Fier
Hi All,

If any of you are also into watches, you’ll know that people love their watches to have a story, some sort of romantic, familial or action-based narrative associated with their beloved timepiece. And it sort of occurred to me in the few years I’ve been trawling head-fi that I’ve not seen something similar about headphones. So that’s the question - beyond all the frequency curves and driver specs and soundstage discussions, what do your various headphones symbolise for you?

By way of example, here’s a potted history of my headphones and what they meant to me at that time of life.

Remember when you thought the the cheap little in-ear headphones you got free with the phone were great? Yeah, for whatever reason, one day I woke up and wanted more - just better sounding music. And because I’ve got a bit of a utilitarian thing going on, I went for the V-Moda XS, a lovely little tank for ears. Bought them from the States and had to walk to a remote post office in London to collect them and pay tax - man, it was a hot day. That night I put them on, turned on my favourite tracks and sat there slack-jawed as music I thought I knew revealed itself in astonishing new ways. This V-Moda was my audio gateway, it symbolises the start of the journey to appreciating better sound and the joy it can bring.

The next set of headphones were very special. Unhappy in the job I had at the time, a friend (also a filmmaker) asked if I could do a freelance gig for him as he was unable to make it. To me, this was a massive release and breath of fresh air - a reminder of what I loved in the world - getting out with a camera and documenting the world. I promised myself that when I got paid for this gig, I’d get myself a better set of headphones. For around six weeks I researched and ended up with my beloved OPPO-PM3s. And again, my world was transformed - never had I heard such clean, tight, crystal clear music. Shortly after getting the OPPOs, I resigned and started doing more of what I love - they represent freedom and self-determination.

The last pair of headphones are still in that wonderful space between desire, research and actually owning. Right now, I am besotted with the ATH-WP900. And I can’t deny, it’s a love thing. Saw them and thought, those are literally one of the most beautiful things I’ve seen (much to my wife’s dismay). I’ve read every piece of literature and review I can and I’m pretty certain they will sound amazing. Naturally, you’ve got to get them on your ears but my suspicion is they’ll sound fantastic with my music preferences - pop, acoustic, dance - while being enough of a departure from the OPPOs to feel ‘justified’. Like many, I’ve not travelled - something I did frequently for work and play - for more than a year. I’ve not seen my parents for more than a year, either, while my father’s illness has worsened significantly. These portable, comfortable, fun-loving beauties represent the end of the pandemic, freedom and travel again.

Take care, all 🙌🏻

Users who are viewing this thread

Back