What does the HD700 sound like?
Jan 31, 2015 at 11:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Stanfoo

100+ Head-Fier
On the product sales page it says:

"The HD 700s feature drivers that are uniquely positioned to send sound waves to your ears at an angle — simulating the way you would normally listen to a pair of stereo speakers in a room. This slight angle helps create a wide soundstage for a more natural listening experience. So, unlike ordinary headphones that box the music inside your head, the HD 700s present every instrument as if you’re sitting in the audience at a live concert."

Of course, I don't know how much of this is truth and not sales marketing hype. Any of you who used the HD700, can you comment on how it sounds? Does the "unique angle" really make it sound better (how?) as it claims?

Jan 31, 2015 at 11:55 PM Post #5 of 10
It's bright and annoying. Don't do it

Ha! Finally, someone that agrees with me!

"Bright" means it has emphasized treble (highs) that for some people can seem sharp and piercing, but to other people just seem detailed with good sizzle. YMMV...

Feb 1, 2015 at 12:00 AM Post #6 of 10
I was interested in getting a pair of HD700's. When listening to them at a store, I felt like someone stuck a fork in my eye, I felt that the treble was almost searing. I spent a few visits comparing the Sennheisers from the HD600 on to the top of which the HD800 was over my budget. To my eventual surprise, I ended up liking the HD600's the best and bought them.

Feb 1, 2015 at 12:08 AM Post #7 of 10
  On the product sales page it says:

"The HD 700s feature drivers that are uniquely positioned to send sound waves to your ears at an angle — simulating the way you would normally listen to a pair of stereo speakers in a room. This slight angle helps create a wide soundstage for a more natural listening experience. So, unlike ordinary headphones that box the music inside your head, the HD 700s present every instrument as if you’re sitting in the audience at a live concert."

Of course, I don't know how much of this is truth and not sales marketing hype. Any of you who used the HD700, can you comment on how it sounds? Does the "unique angle" really make it sound better (how?) as it claims?

The HD 598s utilize the same driver configuration and they do have an extended soundstage. The soundstage on the HD 650s is a bit closer but I actually prefer them for that reason. YMMV

Oct 14, 2019 at 12:41 AM Post #10 of 10
Yes HD700 is horrible headphone. Avoid at all costs. Now Grado maybe, there's a nice headphone.

I’m not buying it. I have 580, 600 and 650. Would love 800 but can’t afford them. I’m going to get the 700s now that they’re cheap and figure how to tweak that earsplitting treble down. Besides, other than a little Artificial Brain, I stopped listening to death metal like 30 years ago. The 700s should be just fine for Shakti.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back