What does you partner think about audiophilia?
Jul 16, 2011 at 4:45 AM Post #17 of 43
Quote:
My most significant partner is a cat.

She's OK with headphones as long as I hold her while I listen.
smily_headphones1.gif

My Conure holds much the same opinion...

Jul 16, 2011 at 5:34 AM Post #19 of 43

Quote:
My most significant partner is a cat.

She's OK with headphones as long as I hold her while I listen.
smily_headphones1.gif

Me too, kinda. I see my male cat as my alter ego, more like  witch's familiar; and the female as the favorite god-daughter or something since she gets more cuddles while the male roams all over the place. I'm pretty sure he tortures me by disappearing for days to get even - last time I attended an academic conference, after the sitter left neighbors said he was peeking out the window looking so sorry for himself, and stared at the driveway for hours. So I made like a pimp and got him the female, who hates him because he bites (all male cats do.) I don't thin kthey have anything against my audio gear, unless they figure out why they're never allowed in the library/audio room.

Jul 16, 2011 at 6:07 AM Post #20 of 43
I asked my girlfriend for a quote as she sits next to me watching T.V.

"Do you know how many Tiffany's I could buy?"

I've just ordered a LCD-2, caused some very interesting expressions when I informed her of the price.

Jul 16, 2011 at 12:02 PM Post #21 of 43
Guy buys toys, it's "immature," "boys and their toys (rolls eyes)." Girls buy handbags and shoes for about the same price as some boys' toys, it's personal fulfillment; if the boy buys here these things, it's "because he loves me." See how gender bias works either way? In this example it's for the females; most of the time it's for the boys.

Being in a relationship with a severe gender bias is like being the one to bear the cross of all the other misogynist bastards in history but the women allow the mto get away with it anyway. In other words, if you like Jesus, keep your girlfriend: he carried a cross for what stupid and greedy people do and got nailed to it, too. For those who aren't feeling up to being a martyr and have your male version of that Destiny's Child song about surviving BS relationships, ditch the lady. (There's another example: look up the lyrics to that song, and put them in the mouth of a guy. I'll bet my rear chicks will say, "that guy's an a-hole.")

Jul 16, 2011 at 12:08 PM Post #22 of 43
My ex is an audiophile in the making. She still attends meets and has a good ear for gear. She has a bunch of my older gear that I gave to her like my Turbines and my PX200-ii. She's pretty good at distinguishing the sound signatures of the gear she hears, but isn't very good at putting it to audiophile terms because she isn't familiar with the lingo. The nice thing is that she makes judgements on gear without putting price into the equation, as she doesn't obsessively read up about gear like normal HeadFiers do. So her impressions are generally free from price bias. 

Jul 16, 2011 at 3:35 PM Post #23 of 43
Jul 16, 2011 at 4:25 PM Post #24 of 43
I'm not an audiophile. But having experts like the people on this forum are a tremendous help. I enjoy seeing people that are so dedicated. 

A good significant other will show interest in the things you do.

Jul 16, 2011 at 7:31 PM Post #25 of 43
My husband is, for the most part, vaguely amused, a bit puzzled, but fairly tolerant (he teases me, but not in a mean-spirited way). However, he insists he still can't hear differences between sets of headphones and different qualities of audio files. *sigh* One day. Maybe.

Jul 17, 2011 at 4:26 AM Post #26 of 43
Gorgeous bird! I had several budgies growing up and love birds. I'd get another, but they're not terribly cat-compatible. Mai Tai (the cat) moved in and became Head of Household before I knew what happened. Literally a few hours between not being a pet owner and being owned by a pet. It's OK because she's snuggly and terribly well-behaved. I haven't had a better cat. She goes to bed when I do, never wakes me up, and gets up when I do. She likes bellyrubs, too.

I don't have much choice about the required attention. Mai Tai stands on keyboards and sitting down is simply an invitation to get on my lap. I don't have much say.

Jul 17, 2011 at 7:49 AM Post #27 of 43
My wife of 22 yrs. appreciates good sound, but does not comment very often on it.
As far as cost is concerned, we have a rule...
She don't ask about stereo
I don't ask about the shoes
wink.gif

Jul 17, 2011 at 8:41 AM Post #28 of 43
My wife can't tell the difference between PRO 900 and iBuds. So naturally we always end up fighting if I want to spend more money on headphones. However, I usually win.
rolleyes.gif

This other girl I hang with really got into headphones because of me. She highly appreciates good sound. I gave her my Zino and HJE900 as a gift already.

My female colleague always steals my headphones at work, but gives them back most of the time, haha. She prefers looks/style over sound quality, though.

Jul 17, 2011 at 10:01 AM Post #29 of 43
what do women know about listening 

Jul 17, 2011 at 10:22 AM Post #30 of 43
My wife doesn't get it at all. She can't hear any difference among high-end stuff and even when she does hear a difference she doesn't rate it as important. She doesn't buy lots of shoes either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back