What Happened to Head-Fi? (Rant)
Jun 10, 2014 at 11:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 244

livedavid

New Head-Fier
Hello,

While this may be my first post, I assure you I am not new to the world of headphones or this forum.  I started to really get into this hobby around 2000, but had some interest in the late '90's.  At the time Headwize was the authoritative forum.  Then Head-fi appeared and grew.  It was a great place where people formed their own opinions and shared with the community.  I lurked for a few years.  I was getting a lot out of it, but not contributing.  Maybe I was selfish, maybe I thought I had nothing to offer, maybe I thought people were more knowledgeable than myself?  I do not have a good reason for being a member for almost 10 years and making this my first post.

I am not trying to go off on a rant, but I think it is important for people coming to this great hobby to understand that there are many great opinions here, but there is equally a lot of misinformation.  How can someone recommend something - a headphone, a DAP, a DAC, an amp or even a cable without even trying it?  How can they dismiss it?  This forum is filled with people with thousands of posts posturing and declaring an opinion that is not even their own as a fact.  The headphone market has grown over the last two decades (thanks mostly to Apple and Beats) which has brought about pseudo-experts.  For the people who have enjoyed this community for years, they have learned who they can trust, but often a very vocal or prolific user does not have the knowledge or experience to make a thoughtful recommendation.  Music is personal, sound reproduction is personal, our ears are all different.  There is too much regurgitated circle jerking information here.

I don't know if this post will be deleted, but my whole point is that sometimes it is best not to talk, but to listen.  Please don't make a headphone recommendation to someone if you have not owned the headphone in question.  Listening to something in a store or at a meet does not qualify you as experienced with that item.  I have owned or own most TOTL headphones HD800, LCD-2, TH900, T1, ED8 and many others, yet I have not felt the need to pass my opinion off as fact.  Please be considerate of others and don't just copypasta other people's thoughts or give praise to your latest purchase when you have nothing to compare it to.

This rant is over.  I will continue to lurk, but I want to thank all of the experts on here for the great advice and recommendations over the years and let you know how difficult it is to sort through all of the BS to find you...

First Post Date:
6/10/14

Jun 10, 2014 at 11:59 PM Post #4 of 244
Something that the newer members (~2012 and up) don't seem to understand and the mods also don't seem to care to stop them. I believe that is why a ton of the regulars from when I first joined are now gone and my interest is somewhat gone as well.

Jun 11, 2014 at 12:24 AM Post #5 of 244
  Something that the newer members (~2012 and up) don't seem to understand and the mods also don't seem to care to stop them. I believe that is why a ton of the regulars from when I first joined are now gone and my interest is somewhat gone as well.

I actually wrote a rule, in effect, that members shouldn't be recommending products they don't own. It is part of the Posting Guidelines that every new member is given the link to in a message when they join. 

http://head-fi.org/a/posting-guidelines

However, 2000-4000 posts are made daily on the forums and it is impossible for us to check them all (and, not to mention, reading the forums purely for moderation is far from enjoyable). If you do see someone repeatedly recommending products they obviously don't own, please report the posts. 
smile.gif

Jun 11, 2014 at 1:27 AM Post #6 of 244
A respectful and truthful rant which deserves to be stickied.

If you do see someone repeatedly recommending products they obviously don't own, please report the posts. 
smile.gif

Completely new to me that the community is allowed to report posts like that. Is Head-Fi in need of that we're more active at flagging?

Jun 11, 2014 at 1:46 AM Post #9 of 244
  A respectful and truthful rant which deserves to be stickied.

If you do see someone repeatedly recommending products they obviously don't own, please report the posts. 
smile.gif

Completely new to me that the community is allowed to report posts like that. Is Head-Fi in need of that we're more active at flagging?

If someone is doing it repeatedly, please do.

I can't say that, with such a large site, it will ever be possible to have accurate information. The best I think we can do is encourage people to go to meets and try things for themselves.

Beyond that, I've always said that 90% of choosing gear comes down to what music you like and how loud you listen. Getting much more complex than that just gets much more confusing.

Jun 11, 2014 at 2:14 AM Post #10 of 244
I am gob smacked by the amount of people who parrot around opinions and words regarding things they have zero experience with. It isn't limited to headphones however, the internet is like a giant echo chamber. Go to any car forum, and you'll hear people parrot around opinions of million dollar cars just because of something Jeremy Clarkson said on Top Gear in 2003, and literally everyone will agree with them as if they had driven the car themselves.

It is the same in headphone land. Tyll literally made a one liner post commenting about the SRH 1840 having an irregularity in a frequency response or distortion graph, and suddenly the headphones are forever written off by the head fi masses as having unacceptable sound quality. I know my way around headphones and the SRH 1840 is one of my favorite cans ever, I hear absolutely no audible distortion and if there is an irregularity in some random graph, it has absolutely no bearing on my enjoyment of those headphones whatsoever, so why should I care? Why are those things so authoritative and so parroted by people who have no experience with the actual headphones?

I think people should be careful about forming too strong an opinion about headphones they haven't tried, in fact, I think they should just remain silent. Otherwise, the "consensus" and "authoritative" perception that you find on these forums regarding headphones is nothing more than an echo chamber of sheep who haven't even listened to the gear repeating the opinion of a minority select few. 

Jun 11, 2014 at 2:37 AM Post #12 of 244
I've seen a rather helpful and informative poster quit posting on this site after a number of people posted regarding a headphone they had never heard, and the person in question actually had - and only received snide argument back in turn. Kind of sad that someone would leave over that, but maybe it had happened a few times with them.

One of the worst things you will see is someone talking on and dismissing a headphone based on what they read once - without hearing it, even when that could also be an unpopular opinion. Then when asked where they heard or read that, they never reply. 

Jun 11, 2014 at 3:46 AM Post #13 of 244
This isn't something new- many people, myself included, have made similar rant posts in the past. The problem is that even if everyone was giving legitimate advice based on his/her experience, one subjective opinion rarely translates to your own. In fact, I have bought almost every headphone I've owned based on recommendations here and I ended up selling them two months later. The handful of headphones I've truly enjoyed are actually the ones that are ignored by the hype train.

The lesson from all this is simple: learn from your own experience, not forum advice which are inherently unreliable.

Jun 11, 2014 at 6:15 AM Post #15 of 244
The problem isnt Head-Fi.   The audiophile community at large is full of bull-droppings.   This was the case nearly 20 years ago when i got into the high end community, and is the case now.

The subjective nature of the hobby means that all sorts of idiotic BS get passed as facts, or are grossly exaggerated.  Shakti Stones and green pens, anyone?    Hell, people post whatever the hell they want, doesnt even make any sense (What is "warm bass"??) and it gets repeated until it becomes a generally-accepted reality.   Of course, the flip side is that if all the arguments are challenged, then this becomes rec.audio.high-end V2, where every thread degenerates into a flame war about A/B/X testing, so it isnt as if there is a better solution - FWIW, i think the approach Head-Fi takes is reasonably sound.   

Personally, I'd like to see a little more discussion/debate b/c right now, disagreeing with a FOTM product leads to the cyber equivalent of a stoning.    But that is primarily up to the individual posters to be a little more mature, a little less emotionally-vested in their products and a little more open to the idea that it is possible to share different views without establishing a right/wrong answer, and without getting into an endless debate on who's right and who's wrong:  state your position, and maybe comment on why you disagree with the other guy's position and move on.   Sadly, humanity is going to need 5000 years of evolution before THAT is going to happen :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back