What has ER4 highs and mids but better bass for a similar price?
Jul 22, 2014 at 9:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

AndroidVageta

500+ Head-Fier
So I got a pair of ER4S a little while back that had some issues and unfortunately needed to be returned. While I loved the sound and knew I would just get another pair I couldn't help but think of the bass response. At home they were fine because I could EQ them but going out and about wouldn't leave me with that luxury.

So...as the title states...is there anything out there with similar highs and mids as the ER4 line that has better and easier achievable bass at a similar price point? I keep seeing a rise in "hybrid" units and think that the armatures on the highs and mids and dynamic on the bass can really do some good.

I guess what I'm asking is...what headphone has NATURAL great sparkling highs, smooth forwards mids, and no low rumble bass without a need for EQ'ing that doesn't cost a butt ton of money?

Jul 23, 2014 at 9:56 AM Post #2 of 2
I have no experience with the ER4S, but a lot of people seem to think that the Zero Audio Carbo Tenore is similar to the ER4S with a bass lift and an actual soundstage. Their FR is very similar down to 100hz so it's not an unreasonable claim. The Tenore is a microdynamic implementation though, so decay is longer which affects instrument separation among other things.

There is also a serious issue with unit variance in bass response. Generally, the Tenore has a lift from 100hz and bellow that is ~4db over neutral, probably to compensate for the missing 6db effect with iems. So while not warm, it already has more bass over neutral. The thing is that not all Tenores have the same bass lift, the variations in loudness can be pretty big. If you score yourself a bass light Tenore, i believe you will like it, but unfortunately it's a lottery.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back