What headphone is best for me?
Jan 2, 2013 at 1:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

JeffJeffery

New Head-Fier
Sorry if this is long but I want to give a clear picture of what I am looking for.  First off I'm using a $10 pair of ear buds currently.  I want to get a better pair of headphones because I like listening to music in my car.  I don't have anything special in my car I just like the clear surround sound and love the bass that I don't get from my cheap ear buds.  I know I want closed headphones that don't leak a lot of sound because I'm usually up later than my roommate.  I'm in college.  So I don't want something that is ugly or huge if possible because I want to be able to take them to the library and around campus so they cant be no mobile.  I listen to mostly hip hop, rap, pop, christian contemporary.  Mostly mainstream stuff.  I like bass, not just loud same tone bass because it will give me a headache but I do like bass and plenty of it.  Also I don't want a 50 foot cord I am just going to be using it with my computer and iPod.  I listened to a pair of beats studios in the store for like 5 min and thought they were pretty good.  I know everyone says they are way overpriced and I cant afford them.  I would like to spend less than $130 if possible.  I would go to $150 if they are good, and would consider up to $200 if it bumped it up a ton in quality and you think it is really worth it.  Also I don't want to have to use an amp if possible or if I need one the price of both will have to fit my budget.  I'm looking at the Audio-Technica ATH-M50.  I have a hard time understanding many of the reviews because people are comparing them to headphones I have never heard so when they say they have some bass but not as much as blank.  I don't know what that means.  The bass is the only thing that concerns me.  Is there a place where I could go listen to them before buying?
Another big concern about these headphones is would I be using them way below their potential.  I just listen to music on spotify, pandora, and youtube.  I know you need better quality music files if you want to use headphones to their full potential so am I way overshooting myself with the M50.  I don't want to waste money on a good pair of headphones that audiophiles like when I could get a $50 pair that would match my music if that makes sense.  Same goes with not using an AMP.
And one last thing, how much battery do these suck.  My iPod touch is really old and my battery is shot.  I can only watch about an hour of youtube on the dimmest brightness.  So would these suck so much energy that I couldn't use them with my iPod for any period of time.  I can get several hours of music it when I use my ear buds with my screen off.

Thank you so much for any answers and or tips/suggestions.  I really really really appreciate the time.

Jan 2, 2013 at 1:20 AM Post #2 of 5
oh yeah another thing, I don't really care about noise isolation like the beats studio.  I DON'T want to have to use batteries, I don't have the income to keep buying batteries.  It has to be closed where sound doesn't leak though.  Don't want to bug the roommate.

Jan 2, 2013 at 1:54 AM Post #3 of 5
I hear you when you say you don't want to buy batteries, who does? However, when I first tried a good pair of noise canceling headphones, I could not believe the improvement in sound. Very little sound leakage in from other activities in the house such as the TV, the kids, etc. I ended up buying the Audio-Technica ATH-ANC7 cans and they use one AAA battery that last at least 30-35 hours.

I also really loved that I didn't need to have the volume nearly as high as I would with my regular cans. My solution to the battery issue was to get some high quality rechargeable AAA batteries and I went with the Sanyo/Panasonic Eneloops. Excellent batteries, no memory issues, they retain their charge when sitting on a shelf and they can be recharged something crazy like 1,000 times if I recall correctly; possibly more. A few years ago, I too was dead set against trying noise canceling headphones, I'm glad I listed to a friend and checked them out. Just my $0.02. Good luck in whatever you decide.

Jan 2, 2013 at 5:02 PM Post #5 of 5
Quote:
Sorry if this is long but I want to give a clear picture of what I am looking for.  First off I'm using a $10 pair of ear buds currently.  I want to get a better pair of headphones because I like listening to music in my car.  I don't have anything special in my car I just like the clear surround sound and love the bass that I don't get from my cheap ear buds.  I know I want closed headphones that don't leak a lot of sound because I'm usually up later than my roommate.  I'm in college.  So I don't want something that is ugly or huge if possible because I want to be able to take them to the library and around campus so they cant be no mobile.  I listen to mostly hip hop, rap, pop, christian contemporary.  Mostly mainstream stuff.  I like bass, not just loud same tone bass because it will give me a headache but I do like bass and plenty of it.  Also I don't want a 50 foot cord I am just going to be using it with my computer and iPod.  I listened to a pair of beats studios in the store for like 5 min and thought they were pretty good.  I know everyone says they are way overpriced and I cant afford them.  I would like to spend less than $130 if possible.  I would go to $150 if they are good, and would consider up to $200 if it bumped it up a ton in quality and you think it is really worth it.  Also I don't want to have to use an amp if possible or if I need one the price of both will have to fit my budget.  I'm looking at the Audio-Technica ATH-M50.  I have a hard time understanding many of the reviews because people are comparing them to headphones I have never heard so when they say they have some bass but not as much as blank.  I don't know what that means.  The bass is the only thing that concerns me.  Is there a place where I could go listen to them before buying?
Another big concern about these headphones is would I be using them way below their potential.  I just listen to music on spotify, pandora, and youtube.  I know you need better quality music files if you want to use headphones to their full potential so am I way overshooting myself with the M50.  I don't want to waste money on a good pair of headphones that audiophiles like when I could get a $50 pair that would match my music if that makes sense.  Same goes with not using an AMP.
And one last thing, how much battery do these suck.  My iPod touch is really old and my battery is shot.  I can only watch about an hour of youtube on the dimmest brightness.  So would these suck so much energy that I couldn't use them with my iPod for any period of time.  I can get several hours of music it when I use my ear buds with my screen off.

Thank you so much for any answers and or tips/suggestions.  I really really really appreciate the time.

Heya,

Beyer Custom One Pro
Ultrasone HFI 580

Very best,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back