what is the best full sized headphone than can be run with a portable cd player?
Feb 11, 2002 at 11:08 AM Post #16 of 30
That page is in chinese (can't read nor understand it), I don't think I could order from them. Are there any domestic stores that import these?

The DT831 is actually the only headphones of the ones I tried from Beyerdynamic that I liked. However, I don't quite see them for portable use...

Feb 11, 2002 at 11:19 AM Post #17 of 30
To me, DT 831 is not a can for portable use. I have a 2x20 mW PCDP and even this cannot drive them properly. On top of that they're too bulky and the cord is quite heavy. They make quite good home closed cans though.

Feb 12, 2002 at 7:43 AM Post #18 of 30
Quote:

Originally posted by Audio&Me
That page is in chinese (can't read nor understand it), I don't think I could order from them. Are there any domestic stores that import these?

The DT831 is actually the only headphones of the ones I tried from Beyerdynamic that I liked. However, I don't quite see them for portable use...

Maybe you can get those headphones you like when you got chance to visit Peking, AD7 no more than 150$, HD600 265$,W100 350$.STAX 4040 1150$,and lots of Headphone amps are
under 300$.

To blr
You are right DT831 is not suitable for most protable equipment,GRADO or A.T is better.I do not konw if Sennnheiser HD250 is OK,I have no chance to connect it with my Discman.

Feb 12, 2002 at 2:26 PM Post #19 of 30
APRILRAIN, the Sennheiser HD250-II is even tougher than the Beyerdyanmic DT831 to drive out of a portable; the HD250-II's impedance is 300 ohms, with a modest 94dB sensitivity (at 1 volt, not 1 milliwatt).

Feb 12, 2002 at 6:08 PM Post #20 of 30
just picked up a pair of senn 202's at virgin megastore for $43.
(thnx for the review, delenda est Sony)

haven't had long enough to give a detailed description yet, but I am immediately pleased about the sound I'm getting for $43 without an amp. (i tried the $139 ety's, and i prefer the senn's so far for the commute) to give you a rough idea, the 202 don't seem as good as the 535's (which may need amp, don't know) but they are CLOSED cans which are key to me becasue of my nyc subway commute. again, not a audiophile set probably, but they are driven without amp and sound nice.

only saw 1 pair left at the 14th st VMS location. i can't find them on the web either. what's the deal?

good luck JJJ

Feb 12, 2002 at 6:29 PM Post #21 of 30
Hey jj-

$43? What happened? I got em at the same store for $30 plus tax. Are those bastids jacking up the price? The 202s did go quickly though--when I got mine, they had about another 8-10 sets. Now they're down to one. Maybe at Virgin, decent sales=justification to raise the price over list!
mad.gif

www.southtronic.com seems to be the only online vendor for the 202s. (listed at $28.)

Feb 12, 2002 at 9:56 PM Post #22 of 30
delenda,

don't know what happened with the price, there. it was the union square location. but truthfully, since i even found a pair i was happy. i mean, what can i do? maybe you got lucky on the price being mismarked at an earlier date?

who knows. i am just so happy i asked all of your opinions and was referred to this site by a friend before i stupidly would have blown $300 on a creaky bose set.

and with the money i saved, maybe i should now grab a pair of senn 600 for home use
wink.gif

JJJ

Feb 13, 2002 at 1:51 AM Post #23 of 30
JJ-

still a fine value at $43, but Virgin is just so annoying! One of the only decent retail stores in NYC to find rare headphones at and they have to price gouge.
frown.gif
Not unexpected though; their CDs are on the average $5-6 more than J and R Music, so inflation in other areas is not a surprise!

Enjoy the phones, and thank Jehovah that you avoided plunking $300 down on Bose phones! And if you do spring for the 600s don't forget an amp!!
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 13, 2002 at 3:51 PM Post #24 of 30
Koss Porta Pro, well under USD 100
Sennheiser HD25, rugged and closed, still under USD 200

Current PCDPs with their whimpy amps may have problems to drive the HD25 well.

If you are willing to carry an extra little box (portable headphone amp), you would have a wider choice of suitable headphones. But in my opinion current, cheap PCDPs do not really sound good enough to justify this.

HP

Feb 14, 2002 at 8:04 AM Post #25 of 30
My Panasonic SL-S320 drives the Beyerdynamic DT831 beautifully and without clipping, though it cannot achieve deafening volumes. (It does get plenty loud enough for listening, though.)

I suspect no modern portable could drive the DT831 at all. Also, the Sennheiser HD600 clips somewhat with the SL-S320 so the DT831 is probably about the player's limit.

The SL-S320 is a 1997 pcdp and was at the top of Headroom's recommended list back then. My friend has an older Panasonic portable cd player that clips badly with the DT831 so if you're that close, don't stray to far from the model number. I imagine the 340 would do jsut as well, but that's probably about it.

If you need real portability and don't want in the ear speakers, the Panasonic SL-S320 with the Sony V6/7506 is the combination I used back in 1997/98 and it's still pretty admirable today and probably about as small as you can get and maintain quality.

Feb 14, 2002 at 10:51 PM Post #27 of 30
Eh-hem, did anyone mention the 497's($66)?
and what about the Alessandro MS-1($95+ship), if that can be driven by a portable... i thought they were as good as the 125's at 50 dollars less?
that was just my 2 cents...

Feb 14, 2002 at 11:46 PM Post #28 of 30
After *much* study, reviews, and penny scraping (I sold my home stereo system also) I went with the beyerdynamic DT250-80 headphones. With 80ohms, they are wayyy easier to drive then the DT-831. I want to get a total airhead amp, but the cash is not there, yet. However, they get nice and loud without the amp, and the bass kicks. I can actually get enough bass out of my *computer* sound card (SB live) to be annoying after awhile. If you want to see what I mean, just search through the posts for DT250-80. It's the best $175+shipping headphone investment I ever made. Got them from headroom.

Feb 15, 2002 at 1:37 AM Post #29 of 30
Quote:

Originally posted by Gluegun
831's cant be driven by a portable.... not well.... not so it's remotely worth what you pay for them. They need an amp.

I'm not sure Gluegun is speaking from experience with the DT831 on the Panasonic SL-S320, but I am. In modern CD players, he's completely right. The SL-S320 was a bit before his time but you can still find them use if you look.

Feb 15, 2002 at 1:40 AM Post #30 of 30
Maybe.... I use the SL-CT470, and some semi-old 15 mW sony's..

The 831's sound good through them....

...for the first few seconds. Then you realize how wrong it sounds. heheheh....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back