What is the best hip-hop oriented headphones?
Apr 28, 2013 at 11:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

shivi

New Head-Fier
I want a good pair of headphones that will last me through college. I know the beats by dre are a good option but i feel as if they are overrated, over-priced and to "mainstream." (they also feel cheaply made). I think people wear them for the design rather than sound quality. When i visit forums made for audiophiles, they say the same for the beats by dre headphones. However, i am confused as to which headphones i should buy because there are a lot of differing opinions on those forums and MANY different options. I looked at the Audio Technica ATH-M50 headphones. Many say that these headphones are some of the best but I have seen a few reviews saying they are not meant for bass and hip-hop. I don't know what to buy. The brands i am looking at are Klipsche, Audio Technica, Sennheiser etc that are geared towards the hip-hop genre with a decent amount of bass (like the Beats by Dre) but without a ridiculous price tag. Thanks!

Apr 29, 2013 at 12:24 AM Post #2 of 6
Quote:
I want a good pair of headphones that will last me through college. I know the beats by dre are a good option but i feel as if they are overrated, over-priced and to "mainstream." (they also feel cheaply made). I think people wear them for the design rather than sound quality. When i visit forums made for audiophiles, they say the same for the beats by dre headphones. However, i am confused as to which headphones i should buy because there are a lot of differing opinions on those forums and MANY different options. I looked at the Audio Technica ATH-M50 headphones. Many say that these headphones are some of the best but I have seen a few reviews saying they are not meant for bass and hip-hop. I don't know what to buy. The brands i am looking at are Klipsche, Audio Technica, Sennheiser etc that are geared towards the hip-hop genre with a decent amount of bass (like the Beats by Dre) but without a ridiculous price tag. Thanks!

Well, what is your budget?

Assuming you listen to modern hip-hop and bass biased, M50s will be fine. I would also recommend the Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro.

note:There is no gear dedicated to hip-hop. It is a musically balanced genre not bass heavy.

Apr 29, 2013 at 12:36 AM Post #3 of 6
my budget is under $200. i can probably stretch it if there are decent pair of headphones. i've heard the m50s don't deliver the same bass as the beats... is this true?

Apr 29, 2013 at 12:45 AM Post #4 of 6
Well the beats is all bass and that's pretty much it. M50 is a balanced headphone is a good entry level headphone overall.

What headphones are you coming from before you buy one of these headphones? . Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro has cool feature to adjust the amount of bass you want or need.

Apr 29, 2013 at 1:18 AM Post #5 of 6
The bass on the M50 is weak and is no where near beats in regards to the quantity you're looking for, this is why it's not on the basshead club's list of basshead headphones. 

If you want bass like beats by dre, than look into the,
-Audio Technica PRO700 MK2 ($150)
-V-Moda Crossfade LP2 ($150)
-Sony XB500 ($60)
-M Audio Q40 ($100)
-Pioneer HDJ1500 ($150)

With money to spare just grab an amp like the FiiO E11 ($60) and boost the bass to your desire level.

One other thing you have to understand is audiophile have a very different view on bass. They hate mainstream bass (beats by dre bass) they like their bass clean punchy and low, but it's not very loud like the M50. Bass on the M50 is lacking to most basshead but audiophiles will call them bass heavy. This is one of the reason why you get a lot of different opinions on the M50.
The M50 is a good all arounder for non-basshead, but if you want lots of bass and plan to use them for rap/hiphop they will disappoint. 

Since you want bass like beats by dre I'm assuming you're a basshead so check out the basshead thread and its list of basshead headphones.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/573826/the-basshead-club

Apr 29, 2013 at 1:27 AM Post #6 of 6
I would suggest the Beyerdynamic custom one pros. They really have that deep, punchy bass and crispy, decently extended highs for hip hop. I actually prefer it to the aging flagship M50s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back