What is the most fatigue-free high end-headphones?
Aug 2, 2011 at 1:34 AM Post #31 of 57
I know this is a full size thread but...if you want complete lack of fatigue, go IEMs.  I can and do listen to my JH13's for between 8-10 hours a day with little to no fatigue.  The LCD-2's and T1 are good for 2-3 hours, but I can't listen for hours afterward.

Edit- meant to say my T1's are more fatiguing.  I find that what really fatigues me is piercing treble, which the T1's had in spades.  The LCD's last longer.

Nov 18, 2011 at 8:49 AM Post #33 of 57
hearing fatigue comes from lack of dynamics and piercing emphasized treble energy with little to no speed to have the treble decay properly. i would look into something with little treble roll-off and open design. open headphones do help a lot as well. it doesn't matter if the headphone is dynamic,planer magnetic,or electrostatic,ect.

Nov 18, 2011 at 1:51 PM Post #34 of 57
I still stand with my recommendation for the Stax 007. Speed of the drivers is just has important as sound sig and nothing is really as quick as an electrostat than another electrostat. I also disagree about lack of dynamics causing fatigue. The lack of dynamics in the 007 is an attribute that makes it so fatigue-free. 

Generally, I'm an earbud, Sennheiser MX980, user and the only full-sized headphone i've heard that comes as close to being fatgue-free is a 007.

Nov 18, 2011 at 2:25 PM Post #35 of 57
Quote:
Trying to revive this thread I can add that using a set of propberly amped Yuin Pk1 buds are really enjoyable and very unfatiguing :)

Still wondering about the HE-500, though (anyone???)

The HE-500's I'm borrowing from a friend are not fatiguing to me and I'm pretty sensitive to bright speakers and the like, but I haven't tried to sit and listen to them for hours on end either.

Nov 18, 2011 at 3:27 PM Post #37 of 57
Grado - Very shrill for long sessions. My Heavy Metal Cans.
Denon - AHD2000/5000. These are my pick for long sessions, however lots of people dont agree with me.
Sennheiser - For very long sessions my 555's are great. Very mellow and smooth. 650's are a little more fatiquing to me, but not by much.

Nov 18, 2011 at 3:33 PM Post #38 of 57
Q701..but not that it's a high end headphone. With a slightly warm amp or DAC, it's totally fatigue free for me. If you have some REALLY crappy recordings that are extremely harsh and treble happy, they'll still bother you. For those I just turn down the volume. The HD-598 is more forgiving of those.

IMO this Q701 is about as smooth sounding as my HD-598. No joke and I'm not crazy. Could be a combination of my amp/DAC.

The Q701 for me is so fatigue free I almost fell asleep last night while listening to them.

All this coming from someone who sold the K702/K701 many many times. It's treble always drove my ears bonkers.

Is it just me or does the Q701 now sound nearly as warm as the HD-598? Not the usual AKG sound I'm used to. Reminds me more of a mix between the K702 and a HD-598. Just weird..

Nov 18, 2011 at 3:33 PM Post #39 of 57

Quote:
is it just me or do your ears "get in shape" as it were?
like when i first got my Beyerdynamics i found them fatiguing but after a week of good listening no longer would i get that tired sharp kinda annoying pain deep in my ear

Not once have I gotten used to a pair of headphones.  If it bothers me from the get go, it's only going to get worse as I get to know the phones better.  But rarely does my opinion change much from my first 5 minute impression unless my tastes evolve over the years (they haven't that much) or I use different equipment.  I don't get how someone can "unhear" glaring issues with the upper midrange or treble.  That doesn't sound healthy to me. 

As for unfatiguing, from cheapest to most expensive

AKG K240 Sextett, HD650, LCD-2, Stax 007

Haven't heard the HE500 except for a few minutes at a meet and it was noisy so I won't say but it didn't seem as fatiguing as most.  If you like the PK1 I bet you'll like the HE500. 

Nov 18, 2011 at 4:12 PM Post #40 of 57
Out of my equipment I'd actually say that the Stax 3030 combo is quite nice in terms of fatigue. Now this probably isn't THE most fatigue free set there is, but it is the most fatigue free set I have ever heard.

Given the right music and its comfortable fit I have spent hours on end with these going on my head without much noticeable discomfort. Now those are just my two cents, thought I'd mention as there were mentions of Lambda model Staxes.

Nov 18, 2011 at 8:48 PM Post #41 of 57

Quote:
I find the HD800 fatiguing in treble, and the LCD-2 (rev. 1) fatiguing in bass (although keep in mind I do listen to a lot of electronic music and generally listen at relatively high volumes). 

I find the HD800 fatiguing in the lower treble, I find the GS1000 fatiguing in the upper mids, I find the DT800 600 ohm fatiguing in the mid treble, I find the Pro2500 fatiguing in the bass and treble, I find the HD598 fatiguing in the treble, I find the DT1350 fatiguing in the midrange, I find the K701 fatiguing in the lower midrange upper bass, I find the HE300  a bit fatiguing in the midrange, I find the Audeze LCD-2Rev2 totally non-fatiguing but I fall asleep.

Everyone fatigued yet?

Nov 18, 2011 at 11:49 PM Post #44 of 57

Quote:
I find the HD800 fatiguing in the lower treble, I find the GS1000 fatiguing in the upper mids, I find the DT800 600 ohm fatiguing in the mid treble, I find the Pro2500 fatiguing in the bass and treble, I find the HD598 fatiguing in the treble, I find the DT1350 fatiguing in the midrange, I find the K701 fatiguing in the lower midrange upper bass, I find the HE300  a bit fatiguing in the midrange, I find the Audeze LCD-2Rev2 totally non-fatiguing but I fall asleep.

Everyone fatigued yet?

So the pain keeps you awake? 
bigsmile_face.gif
  Maybe you need to listen to angrier music

Nov 19, 2011 at 1:21 AM Post #45 of 57
 From what I understand, the LCD-2s have a better bass and tamer treble response compared to other flagships.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back