What is the portable version of the MDR-CD3000?
Jul 4, 2004 at 3:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

beowulf

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm here listening to Domingo & Freni's Tosca on Deutsche Grammophone and thinking that I definltely wasn't completely insane when I parted with a considerable pile of cash to get the 3K. These are definitely very close to my concept of perfect headphones. Ahhh...

However, I can't use these at work, for several reasons (would look too silly, not practical, wouldn't feel comfortable about leaving them there, etc)... so I have to stick to smaller headphones...

I have the Sennheiser MX500 and the Sony 888 for daily use, but they definitely don't fully satisfy me, despite being reference models on the portable,cheapo rank.

Recently, I tried some headphones that are included with recent MPIO MP3 players... and whoa... I was blown away. Well not completely, but so much brighter and with a wider soundstage... if feels as if you're surrounded by the sound, with more detail. In reality, I notice no additional detail, but the extra bightness, better ergonomics and perhaps easier impedance make them very tempting.

The MX500 are definitely no match for those those MPIO. The 888 also can't match them. Perhaps many of you would find them too bright, lacking some bass power... but that wide soundstage... it sounded like a cheap, considerably crappier, yet much cheaper & portable version of the CD3000...

So my question is simple.. which headphones would you recommend for daily, portable usage? I like my sound on the bright side, with a wide soundstage. (Still think the HD600 and 650 are evil). Bright and detailed...

What is the portable version of the Sony MDR-CD3000?

Any suggestions? I have a budget limit, so Etys and Shures are a bit less accessible than cheaper models...

Thanks...
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back