What is your most emotionally involving headphones/rig?
Jan 8, 2010 at 12:21 AM Post #16 of 63
You're right Ray Charles by Joe Tex
wink.gif

Jan 8, 2010 at 12:55 AM Post #17 of 63
Plugging the HD-800 into the Moth Si2A3 is pretty wonderful. There's an ease to the music, yet the detail remains and the mids turn magical. The K-1000 pulls nearly the same trick when run off the Si2A3's speaker taps.

Jan 8, 2010 at 1:18 AM Post #19 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by EYEdROP /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Out of all the setups you have heard/owned, which one let you forget about the gear and simply enjoy the music? Which headphones bring back memories of the past? Which ones gave you the most eargasms per song?

1. Which one let you forget about the gear and simply enjoy the music? Onboard sound>Zero DAC>Qinpu A-3>ALO-780

2. Which headphones bring back memories of the past? Onboard audio>Zero DAC>Qinpu A-3>Grado SR-225

3. Which ones gave you the most eargasms per song? Onboard sound>Zero DAC>Qinpu A-3>ALO-780

You can see I love my newly acquired ALO-780
biggrin.gif
Enjoying my Westone UM3X now though, closer to ALO-780 then SR-225 was but less bassy of course.

Jan 8, 2010 at 2:42 AM Post #20 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by scompton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've had eargasms with the lowly PX100...

Nothing lowly about the PX100 ... Senn's gift to the world.

iMod with uncompressed tracks ripped via EAC from redbook layer + iQube + PX100 = 90% of the SACD played via Wadia 781i into Orpheus.

But oh the last 10%!

Jan 8, 2010 at 2:53 AM Post #21 of 63
HD800 driven by DNA Sonett...pure, yet sweet and musical.

Jan 8, 2010 at 2:54 AM Post #22 of 63
Definitely the Grado RS-1, plugged into, well, almost anything. I want to sing out loud and grab an instrument..

None of my "high-end" headphones do this to me at all (except for the HE-5). Instead of singing and dancing, they make me want to read reviews of themselves.

Jan 8, 2010 at 2:57 AM Post #23 of 63
MHDT Labs Havana DAC -> RSA Raptor -> GS1000's ...

(IMHO one of the best DAC/AMP combos for Grado Headphones of all stripes, the Havana tube DAC and Raptor amp really synch well with all headphones I've tried but *especially* well with Grados)

beerchug.gif

Jan 8, 2010 at 3:08 AM Post #24 of 63
Emotions? From a machine?
Sorry, every emotion from my listening setup comes from the people involved; the artists and myself. If the emotion wasnt there to begin with and it is what you are looking for get a new artist, not a new headphone.

If you want to talk about headphones that hype such a thing by blurring mids, we can talk, of course.

My favourite rig? Dacmagic -> HR2 -> ER4P.

Oh well.

Jan 8, 2010 at 3:33 AM Post #25 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrGreen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry, every emotion from my listening setup comes from the people involved; the artists and myself.

Duh.

He's asking which equipment best brings out the emotion contained within the performance on a particular recording.

Jan 8, 2010 at 3:37 AM Post #26 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrGreen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry, every emotion from my listening setup comes from the people involved; the artists and myself. If the emotion wasnt there to begin with and it is what you are looking for get a new artist, not a new headphone.

I agree to a point, but some equipment can get in the way. For me, Grados are so uncomfortable, the music sinks into the background. Bloated, distorted bass hides the music too. Also really high end equipment can suck all the fun out of poorly recorded music that may be euphoric on lower end equipment.

Jan 8, 2010 at 4:19 AM Post #27 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by Meliboeus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
HD650, i love their warm non fatiguing sound signature, i'd say it's really "involving" for my tastes, even if many would disagree, preferring other kind of phones for the genres i usually listen to.

I thought my HD650 were pretty good untill I heard other top the line headphones. Now they are the weakest link in my rig.

ED8 were easily most emotional cans I heard.
biggrin.gif

Jan 8, 2010 at 4:40 AM Post #28 of 63
It's a toss up between the HE90 with either the HEV90 or ES1, and the R10 with my Angstrom Research two-box amp or the SDS-XLR. In both cases, the headphones I'm sure of (most emotional for electrostatic and dynamic) but I'm still not sure about which amp for either set up brings out the best of the cans.

Jan 8, 2010 at 4:51 AM Post #29 of 63
I love the huge soundstage, instrument detail and separation of the HD800 with the woo audio 6 but for emotional involvement, I got to go with the Grado RS1 and woo audio 6. It's just more emotionally engaging.

Jan 8, 2010 at 7:33 AM Post #30 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by sling5s /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I love the huge soundstage, instrument detail and separation of the HD800 with the woo audio 6 but for emotional involvement, I got to go with the Grado RS1 and woo audio 6. It's just more emotionally engaging.

yeh, imo grados always sound fun

Users who are viewing this thread

Back