What Over Ear To Get?
Dec 20, 2012 at 10:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

M Coupe

500+ Head-Fier
Hi All,

First Post. I am a long time audio nut.  I have had the likes of Levinson, Classe, JM Lab and etc... for my 2 channel needs.  A few years ago, I settled in on my Revel Salon, Jeff Rowland, Transparent set-up and love it.  In that time, I found that having a wide/deep/accurate sound stage matter a ton to me.  Also, I hate overly analytical/bright set-ups (I am sensitive to forward sounding systems).  I would say my current system is somewhat tube like as I do like liquid like mid-range.  That may not be reference, but it is what my ears like.   Hopefully that gives you a take on my priorities.

That being said, I stumbled on this site because I needed a good set of in-ear phones for my weekly plane travels.  I ended up with a set of Shure 535SE Limiteds with Baldur MKII cables and think they sound decent.  I am still getting used to the location of the soundstage but I guess that goes with in-ear headhpones. 

I am now thinking I might want a set of Over the ear headphones for my home use when I don't want to turn my stereo up in the evening and wake my family.

What might you recommend?  I am not in a hurry but intrigued as to what you might think would get me close to what I am listening to with my 2 channel setup.

Thanks.

Dec 20, 2012 at 11:10 PM Post #2 of 7
Heya,

Depending on how you define "overly" bright, here's some suggestions:

Open back:

Hifiman HE-400
Beyer DT880
Sennheiser HD600 or HD650
Ultrasone HFI 2400
AKG Q701
Sony MA900
AudioTechnica AD900

Closed back:

Mr Speakers Mad Dog
Beyer DT770 or Custom One Pro
AKG K550
AKG K167
Sony MDR1R
AudioTechnica A700X or A900X
Denon D600
Brainwavz HM5
Sennheiser Momentum

Very best,

Dec 20, 2012 at 11:26 PM Post #4 of 7
If I could post in every thread recommending the Sennheiser HD 518's I would. They are especially fit home use because of their open-back design, which tends to leak a little sound in favor of better soundstage (not enough to wake anyone up unless you're maybe sitting right next to them ! ) Soundstage is an interesting sound effect where it feels as though the vocals of the artist stick out right in front of you. Also they are amazingly comfortable and I can wear them for hours without my ears feeling mucky. The padding is flush and won't wear down easily like with some cheaper headphones. They have a wonderful dark sound with pronounced bass that hits hard at all the right times without cutting too much into anything else. Please at least consider taking a look at them and I would also recommend the Fiio E6 amp to go with them and the L9 shaped line out dock to connect your ipod/iphone if you have one, as the built in amp of most apple products are pretty substandard for what higher end headphones have to offer.

Really the only weakness of the HD 518's are their lack of versatility. They are not on-the go headphones. 

Dec 20, 2012 at 11:46 PM Post #5 of 7
Thanks all. In response to the questions-
1. Reference neutral is fine with me but Attenuation of treble drives me crazy in a bad way. For example, my Rowland mono blocks sound tube-ish and I love them. Even the venerable old levinson no. 27 had a dark sound I enjoyed when on a budget. But Bryston/lexicon drive me out of a room. Make sense?

2. Budget... Less than 3k I guess

Again, I really appreciate the help!

Dec 20, 2012 at 11:58 PM Post #6 of 7
Quote:
Thanks all. In response to the questions-
1. Reference neutral is fine with me but Attenuation of treble drives me crazy in a bad way. For example, my Rowland mono blocks sound tube-ish and I love them. Even the venerable old levinson no. 27 had a dark sound I enjoyed when on a budget. But Bryston/lexicon drive me out of a room. Make sense?
2. Budget... Less than 3k I guess
Again, I really appreciate the help!

In that case:

Sennheiser HD650
Audeze LCD2

If you get an adapter or cable made for the LCD2, you can use it right out your current speaker amp(s).

Very best,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back