What pads upgrade for my MS-1?
Jan 7, 2009 at 8:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

oldschool

500+ Head-Fier
I want to upgrade the pads of my Alessandro MS-1 and I am currently looking at the possible alternatives:

Sennheiser HD414 - $10 shipped
Grado Bowl pads - $15 + shipping
Grado Flat pads - $35 + shipping
Grado Jumbo pads (GS1000) - $45 + shipping

Can someone comment briefly on the sound characteristics of these and what is the best value/money choice?

Actually I don't feel like paying more than $15 and I am hesitating between the Senn pads and the bowl pads.

Jan 7, 2009 at 1:26 PM Post #2 of 12
I personally think the MS-1 sounds better with its stock comfy pads over the bowl pads. The bowls emphasize the upper midrange and highs (though they do improve the soundstage a bit). Cant comment on the jumbo pad, flat pads, or the HD414 pads though. Ive read the flat pads make them a bit too dark sounding though.

Jan 7, 2009 at 1:34 PM Post #3 of 12
I have both the bowls and the senns, they sound quite similar, probably the most noticeable upgrade from the comfies is that both are hollow, if you quarter mod the 414s, however, the bowls feel much more comfortable to me...

Jan 7, 2009 at 1:47 PM Post #4 of 12
I got two pairs of HD414 pads. One quartermodded and one stock. The sound got a bit more clear or brighter, if you will. I liked my MS-1s better with HD414 pads. Don't get the jumbos as they'll kill the mids.

Jan 7, 2009 at 2:12 PM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Meliboeus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
if you quarter mod the 414s, however, the bowls feel much more comfortable to me...

You mean the bowls are more comfy than a quarter modded 414s? What about a stock 414?

Jan 7, 2009 at 2:16 PM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by apatN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I got two pairs of HD414 pads. One quartermodded and one stock. The sound got a bit more clear or brighter, if you will. I liked my MS-1s better with HD414 pads

Do you prefer them stock or quartermodded?

Jan 7, 2009 at 2:36 PM Post #7 of 12
I'm trying bowls on mine right now and not liking the sound much. Even with bass boost, the treble is too prominent (i.e. more sibilant / brighter and fatiguing for some) and there is the aforementioned mid-freq and bass loss with increased distance from the drivers to your ears. EQ might help things - I only have bass boost on my PCDP.

I find that the "soundstage" from bowl pads is artificial - your actual awareness of instrument placement, etc. doesn't change much and additional reverberations are introduced into the playback - only the perceived distance is a real benefit, in my opinion. Ironically, the bowls seem to be the most comfortable pads, on my ears.

At some point, I'll order some new flat pads from TTVJ. I expect that the HD 414 pads would sound pretty similar to the stock comfy pads. People say that the comfies have some intrusive effect on the sound, but I don't really hear it. Also, there is an additional benefit to comfy pads, other than their low cost - they protect the drivers from wild hairs or Grattle (a hair getting into the driver through the screen).

ph34r.gif

Jan 7, 2009 at 3:06 PM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by oldschool /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You mean the bowls are more comfy than a quarter modded 414s? What about a stock 414?

Yes, because while the 414 are flat and put pressure on the whole ear, the bowls are almost circumaural for me...but you may find them very uncomfortable, it's very subjective...

Jan 7, 2009 at 4:06 PM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by oldschool /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you prefer them stock or quartermodded?

I don't have my MS-1s anymore but I think I preferred the modded pads. I always liked the MS-1s but the lack of resolution made me want to upgrade. When modded though the comfort takes a bit hit so I used the circles I cut out and placed them behind the foam where my ears rest.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 7, 2009 at 7:41 PM Post #10 of 12
Well, I went with ordering 2 pair of 414s. When they came I will mod one pair and I will turn to your guys again about how exactly to cut a hole in the middle
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 7, 2009 at 8:04 PM Post #11 of 12
Most people use a bottle cap and hammer it through the foam. Obviously, this method can be refined with better tools, if you have them. The size of the hole depends on the size of your ears and your listening preferences - the smaller the hole, the less chance that your ear will touch the driver screen, which many people find irritating. On the other hand, a larger hole should allow more sound through. In the end, you'll have to guesstimate...

Jan 7, 2009 at 9:06 PM Post #12 of 12
I used a coin and a sharp hobby knife and it worked wonders. Just make sure you apply enough pressure on the coin and then cut around it with a slightly rounded knife.

Don't make the holes too big or you'll have to live with sore ears. However, like I said before you can also use the cut out circles and place them behind the foam just right where your ear rests.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back