What planar headphones would be an upgrade over DT1990?
Aug 31, 2020 at 3:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

MCCare

New Head-Fier
Hello guys, for a while now i am wanting to buy a nice set of planar headphones - something that is an obvious upgrade over my DT1990's. They will be used mainly for music and gaming (All sorts of music, from blues, rap/hiphop, rock/metal, trance etc..). What would you guys suggest? I prefer open back but i might take in considerations for closed.

Willing to spend $1500 (anything lower would be very nice)

Aug 31, 2020 at 11:44 AM Post #3 of 17
What would you like to improve with new headphones, over the DT1990 sound?

Aug 31, 2020 at 11:50 AM Post #4 of 17
What would you like to improve with new headphones, over the DT1990 sound?
I'm looking for something that can do what the DT1990 does but better. I want only one planar headphone for my collection so i want it to be good. I want it to be excellent at separating instruments, vocals, to have great resolution, sound-stage, and to be extremely detailed and bright and fast. Something i can use for a variety of genres.

Aug 31, 2020 at 12:15 PM Post #5 of 17
What you're looking for feels like an open dynamic rather than a planar.

Aug 31, 2020 at 12:20 PM Post #6 of 17
What you're looking for feels like an open dynamic rather than a planar.
Well here's my issue, I've tried comparing many other dynamic headphones but they all seem to be litrelly on par with the DT1990 even when asking other people. I feel like at this rate, the only thing i have that can beat the 1990 outright is the HD800S outside of those 3-5 thousand dollar dynamic headphones. I feel stuck.

Aug 31, 2020 at 12:44 PM Post #7 of 17
Well here's my issue, I've tried comparing many other dynamic headphones but they all seem to be litrelly on par with the DT1990 even when asking other people. I feel like at this rate, the only thing i have that can beat the 1990 outright is the HD800S outside of those 3-5 thousand dollar dynamic headphones. I feel stuck.
The 800S may indeed be the upgrade path for you, it's difficult to know. I'm hopeful other people can name other candidates for your criteria.

What amplifiers do you have? Even the Sennheiser HD 600 can scale to amazing heights with a great amp. It is not bright though and does not feel fast.

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2020 at 12:46 PM Post #8 of 17
If you are in love with DT1990 its bit hard to upgrade cause of characteristic and aggressive nature it has, HD800s might or might not be upgrade cause it plays sound bit different style.

Best guess from planar side would be He6se if you can power/test it.

Aug 31, 2020 at 1:08 PM Post #9 of 17
Last edited:
Aug 31, 2020 at 2:39 PM Post #10 of 17
The 800S may indeed be the upgrade path for you, it's difficult to know. I'm hopeful other people can name other candidates for your criteria.

What amplifiers do you have? Even the Sennheiser HD 600 can scale to amazing heights with a great amp. It is not bright though and does not feel fast.
Only a NFB 11.28. I also have a HD 600 and it sounds really good with the NFB. I'll keep my eyes out for the HD 800S.

If you are in love with DT1990 its bit hard to upgrade cause of characteristic and aggressive nature it has, HD800s might or might not be upgrade cause it plays sound bit different style.

Best guess from planar side would be He6se if you can power/test it.
Damn, if not for buying the 1990 i would of had at least minimum the T1's and just forget it all by now. Looks like i will have to sound test the 800s first and not blind buy online. I will also check out the HE6. Thanks.

Aug 31, 2020 at 2:43 PM Post #12 of 17
Only a NFB 11.28. I also have a HD 600 and it sounds really good with the NFB. I'll keep my eyes out for the HD 800S.

Damn, if not for buying the 1990 i would of had at least minimum the T1's and just forget it all by now. Looks like i will have to sound test the 800s first and not blind buy online. I will also check out the HE6. Thanks.

You can also wait to see if the new T1 3rd gen is worth it. If so, done. If not, maybe get a T1 2nd gen cheaply :)

There might be some HD 800s (not S) leftover. In January I bought a new in box pair of 800s for 1200 euros. There were three left in CR. You could ask Sennheiser.de if they can direct you to some shops which might have remaining stock. The non S model has a bit of hot treble but it might be what you want. And the 800 is supposed to be better overall than the S although the S is considered more broadly listenable.

Aug 31, 2020 at 2:55 PM Post #14 of 17
Hello guys, for a while now i am wanting to buy a nice set of planar headphones - something that is an obvious upgrade over my DT1990's. They will be used mainly for music and gaming (All sorts of music, from blues, rap/hiphop, rock/metal, trance etc..). What would you guys suggest? I prefer open back but i might take in considerations for closed.

Willing to spend $1500 (anything lower would be very nice)
Which pads do you prefer with the 1990’s?

edit* did you try the original version of the T1? Sounds like you might like that

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2020 at 5:06 PM Post #15 of 17
im 99perc sure that Fostex TH909 will work for you. Upgrade in every way with attack that only dynamics and few planars can provide.
Would buy it myself, but i wont buy fostex cans unless they change headband design.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back