What planar magnetics to start with?
Aug 1, 2017 at 11:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

chef8489

Headphoneus Supremus
I am thinking of picking up a pair of planar magnetics for my birthday on October 28th and would love what I should look at. Ideally I would like to get to as close to a sound as my westone es60 can provide. My current headphones are he 650, k7xx, th-x00 purplehearts(inroute), and k553 pro. My iems are in my signature. Will be driving it from my vali 2 with vintage tubes. I listen to all genres of music pretty much. I know there is a massdrop coming up with the he4xx but not really sure about them. So what say you. Dont really have a budget set other than under 1k right now but open to options and thoughts. I have never heard planar magnetics and I dont want anything too flat or neutral.

Aug 2, 2017 at 12:13 AM Post #2 of 4
I am thinking of picking up a pair of planar magnetics for my birthday on October 28th and would love what I should look at. Ideally I would like to get to as close to a sound as my westone es60 can provide. My current headphones are he 650, k7xx, th-x00 purplehearts(inroute), and k553 pro. My iems are in my signature. Will be driving it from my vali 2 with vintage tubes. I listen to all genres of music pretty much. I know there is a massdrop coming up with the he4xx but not really sure about them. So what say you. Dont really have a budget set other than under 1k right now but open to options and thoughts. I have never heard planar magnetics and I dont want anything too flat or neutral.
Easy .. go for the M1060 ,, very enjoyable planer with good imaging, details , bass and reasonable price ..
Happy birthday :)

Aug 2, 2017 at 1:47 AM Post #3 of 4
Easy .. go for the M1060 ,, very enjoyable planer with good imaging, details , bass and reasonable price ..
Happy birthday :)

I agree, for less than $400 ($300 + Audeze pads) you have a planar that nearly has as good bass as the TH-X00 PH... and doesn't sound as boring as most planars do to me (much more a fan of dynamic drivers than most planar.)

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2017 at 7:11 AM Post #4 of 4
Was going to post a similar thread myself. I do most of my listening on my E-MU Teaks, but my HD650's get some work also. Wanted to see how planars stack up. Primarily listen to metal and classical, also do a fair bit of gaming. No preference between open or closed phones. Considering the M1060, but secondhand LCD-2's and ZMF Ori's seem to pop up for a slight bit more, so I'm wondering if I should just save up some extra cash for those.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back