What Streamer is best for me?
Dec 12, 2011 at 3:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 39

tohenk2

100+ Head-Fier
I use Foobar for FLAC and other lossless formats and iTunes for MP3's. So do my kids and my wife. And since a while it all is on a QNAP TS412 NAS (4x2Tb). All the iTunes instalations can handle it perfectly. The Qnap has an embedded Twonky audio streaming service. It works, as long as I don't put to much on it, and as long as I transcode to MP3. It plays to my iPhone and to something like a Naim NDX (no transcoding needed for the Naim). But it also has an option to aggregate, that is to play not only my music, but also the music from my wife and kids - and there my problems start and my question arises.

Problem: All songs together are more than 100.000 files (song, tag, albumart...) and Twonky reads the first 100.000 files in 2 hours, and then slows down to 3000 files in 24 hours while becoming comatose. After 24 hours it comes to a total standstill. And I don't see a parameter to assign it more resources or something like that. CPU-usage is realy low. I also have a server running Windows 2008 so I installed Windows Media Services - but that can't see external media (like my Qnap). Twonky on that Windows 2008 server has the same limitations as on the QNAP.

Question: Does anyone know (UPnP) streaming server software that can handle more than 100.000 files that are stored on a NAS?

Dec 12, 2011 at 5:08 PM Post #5 of 39

Quote:
To download it I think you need to do so from their forums.
Not sure if it's downloadable straight from the commercial website.

eLyric Music Manager is free and downloadable from the commecial website, at least for now. http://www.psaudio.com/learn/elyric There is something about a premium version that will be available soon with an built in high-end player and USB-audio.
I downloaded it, installed it and I will let it sort through my FLAC music library for now - I going to sleep. BTW, the preference for the network port was 56565, odd because the UPnP standard is TCP 2869 and UDP 1900. So for now I set it on 2869. But at least you can set it.
The iPhone app is not free, and I'm guessing that will use port 56565 first and then the normal UPnP ports. I did not download the iPhone app just yet - at the moment I am curious how well the server part can work with my media collection.

Dec 13, 2011 at 3:28 PM Post #9 of 39

Quote:
Tohenk2,

Are your ATH amps 220V by any chance? Or do you use a transformer?

I use a transformer for my ATH amps and for the Yamamoto. I like the sound I'm getting so I don't see the need to fiddle around just yet :)
The Stax was another story altogether. That one was rebuild by a Stax dealer to 220V. 

Dec 13, 2011 at 3:48 PM Post #11 of 39

Quote:
You might try Asset UPnP by the makers of dbPoweramp: http://www.dbpoweramp.com/asset-upnp-dlna.htm

Thanks for the suggestion. I have downloaded the program, but have not installed it for now. At the moment eLyrics manager is still making progress with the inventory. But it does not yet announce its pressence... (at least it is not visible in the trial version of the MediaConnect iPhone app) When I use TCPView (from SysInternals/Microsoft) on the windows 2008 server I can see eLyrics manager is listening on several ports including port UDP 1900, but not on port TCP 5000 (oldstyle) or 2869 (newer generation UPnP). Port TCP 56565 is in use. And I can't get rid of Windows Media Server by simply un-installing it and stopping the services... so it might be that I need to restart windows 2008 in order to get rid of all the remains of Window Media Server and Twonky.
It is a good sign that there is still progress in the inventory - Twonky was completely unresponsive at this point in the inventory process. I will restart the server after the inventory is complete. And it is nice to have one or more alternatives to try out!

Dec 13, 2011 at 3:56 PM Post #12 of 39
If you want them to run on 220V without transformer I'm pretty sure it can be done. (The Stax dealer that "operated" my SRM600 will do it if you ask him. He likes to do something out of the ordinary. He also fixes old equipment for enthusiasts. Off course that is in the Netherlands, but probably every really good dealer will be able to help you.)

Dec 13, 2011 at 5:48 PM Post #13 of 39

Quote:
The iphone app worked with the Marantz as well.

The Naim dealer reported that the eLyrics iPhone app is useable as a remote control for the Naim NDX and ND5XS as well. And another shopkeeper told me the eLyrics app could be used as a remote for a Linn Sneaky DS.
I so hope that the server-software will work after indexing everything & a reboot.

Dec 13, 2011 at 6:04 PM Post #14 of 39
Yeah, it should work with anything DLNA/UPnP compatible.
eLyrics was made for huge libraries as well. Or at least that's what PSA claims, which isn't always right.
I hope it solves your problem.

Is your dealer AudioXperience in Nuenen? I do come there from time to time.
Some of the Staxes can be easily changed though, just some metal bars you need to change places of. I did one myself.
Not sure if it can be done with the ATH's. Should I buy the W5000ANV I'd have my dealer take a look at it first and see what he says.
He's an electronics engineer so if it can be done he 'll do it. He's also a friend of mine.
He doesn't sell ATH though, I'd have to buy the amp in Japan.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back