What to do in Sydney and Melbourne, Australia?
Jul 30, 2008 at 4:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

milkpowder

Headphoneus Supremus
I'll be visiting Sydney for three days, taking a sleeper XPT train to Melbourne and then spend three days there. I'm travelling with my parents; It was at least five or even ten (?) years ago that I last went to Australia so I can't remember what I've seen
tongue.gif
What should I see? I don't mind doing really touristy stuff
darthsmile.gif
wink_face.gif
Also, are there restaurants which are particularly famous?

Jul 30, 2008 at 5:43 AM Post #2 of 23
Can't comment about Melbourne, but for Sydney you can try: Bridge climb, Sydney Aquarium, and obviously, a visit to the Sydney Opera House. Bondi Beach will be another good place to visit but unfortunately the season isn't right.

[EDIT] Don't know much about Sydney's restaurants, but my friends used to love to visit the pancake house in the city called 'Pancakes on The Rocks'. It located near the Circular Quay, which is another good place to visit.

Jul 30, 2008 at 7:13 AM Post #3 of 23
Well, Melbourne is much more relaxed than sydney =P Lots of good food and cafe around, if thats your sort of thing.

Docklands is worth a visit, many good restaurants around there. Definitely go by Parliament, and there's a coffee store on Spring street which I high recommend. Its called Pellegrini's, and its been open since the early 50's. I go there everytime I'm in the city.

pellegrini's: Please wait...

Have a walk around the city. Unlike sydney, Melbourne city is arranged as a grid, so its much easier to find your way around.

How long are you in Melbourne for? You can consider stuff like winery tours. You can also do day trips to the 12 apostles, ballart (which used to be a gold mine town), and if you're hiring a car than I highly recommend driving along the great ocean road. Absolutely awesome drive, plenty of good scenery and lots of spots for you to relax should you feel the need to.

Whilst down in Melbourne, you could to a short trip down to Geelong, which is less than an hour by train and very cheap to get down to. Its very beautiful down there along the sea, and there are some interesting places to visit as well. If you don't mind a longer train journey down, Warrnambool is also very beautiful, especially this time of the year as there are whales.

I'll add to this when I can think of more stuff.

Jul 30, 2008 at 7:31 AM Post #5 of 23
Don't forget the winter clothing. It's chilly in the evenings. Sydney opera house is a must see. No need to worry about Blue Ring Octopus or Box Jellies this time of year. :wink:

Jul 30, 2008 at 8:01 AM Post #6 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What to do in Sydney and Melbourne, Australia?

As many Sheila's as possible?
evil_smiley.gif

Jul 30, 2008 at 9:04 AM Post #7 of 23
When are you visiting?

Taronga Park Zoo in Sydney is a bit ordinary these days, but the aquarium is pretty good. See if you can visit a wildlife park - we have heaps of cool animals.

Sydney Harbour bridge climb is a favourite, as is the Opera House.

Melbourne is a cool place to hang out, but I never really 'visit' anything when I'm there.

Check out The Official Site for Australian Travel and Tourism Australia

The cities are OK, but IMHO the best parts of Australia are out of the cities. The down side is that everything is so far apart
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 30, 2008 at 11:20 AM Post #10 of 23
Sydney...
Bondi Junction, Bondi Beach, Pancake At The Rocks, Sydney Opera House, Darling Harbour...... Can't think of much atm.

Melbourne..
Lygon Street for Italian Food.
St. Kilda's Beach
The State Library opposite Melbourne Central.
Chinatown.
Il Doche Freddo (Or something similar in spelling) on Lygon Street as well for the BEST ICE CREAM I've eaten in my entire life.

Jul 30, 2008 at 12:06 PM Post #12 of 23
Thanks for the help guys! I'll be staying next to Circular Quay on George Street which is bang in the middle of town. As for Melbourne, I'm staying somewhat further away from city centre on Whitehorse Road. Hope the weather holds up
tongue.gif
Having spent 7 years in the UK (two in Scotland), I'm not too worried about cold
wink.gif
Can't wait!!
bigsmile_face.gif

Jul 30, 2008 at 12:56 PM Post #13 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by gpalmer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As many Sheila's as possible?
evil_smiley.gif

deadhorse.gif

An just an odd coincidince, I live very close to whithorse road. Small world eh.

Jul 30, 2008 at 1:48 PM Post #15 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Audio-Omega /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There is Tetsuya's Restaurant in Sydney. It's one of the top 10 restaurants in the world.
biggrin.gif

You paying? Let's go!
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back