What USB audiophile sound card for Linux (devuan or debian) ?
Dec 7, 2022 at 2:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Bush

Head-Fier
Hello everyone,
does anybody knows a USB audiophile sound card I could use on Linux (devuan), and which works without any problem ?
I currently own a Creative E-MU 0204 (USB), which works with some Linux PC but not on other ones, though their configurations seem identical (same OS release, same configuration files, ...). I succeeded in making it work on 2 desktop PC, but I can't find a configuration for an old laptop.
I have unsuccessfully spent a few hours trying to find a explanation to the working configurations and to the non working configurations. It seems that the card is correctly recognized after a certain number of uninstallation / re-installation of pulseaudio and a certain number of rmmod / modprobe of the snd_usb_audio module, but I can't find any reproducible logic, so I'm currently unable to produce a stable config.
I think I've spent too much time with this sound card, and I'd like to use a new one which is recognized by Linux (I use devuan, not Ubuntu, Mint, ...), and which works without any problem.
I'd like to have a very good audiophile sound card I could use with Sony CD 3000 (or even better headphones ...).
Anyway, if you know an audiophile sound card which is not a USB card but a PCI one, that works without any problem, I would also be interested in knowing its brand and reference.
Thanks.

Dec 7, 2022 at 3:06 PM Post #2 of 3
I got a Soundblaster X1 and it was working in Linux Mint right off the bat without drivers. It also powered the DT880 600ohm which really surprised me. It automatically ups the voltage based on ohm resistance. It's at 2.4 volts when you plug it into an amplifier, and sounds great. This even saw the different stereo modes in the Linux control panel and I could switch between them. Also I plugged it into a Moto G Power phone and Android works great as well with it. $65-$69, really worth it. Only thing is you may need a USB A to C cable for it.

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2022 at 3:41 PM Post #3 of 3
Hello everyone,
does anybody knows a USB audiophile sound card I could use on Linux (devuan), and which works without any problem ?
I currently own a Creative E-MU 0204 (USB), which works with some Linux PC but not on other ones, though their configurations seem identical (same OS release, same configuration files, ...). I succeeded in making it work on 2 desktop PC, but I can't find a configuration for an old laptop.
I have unsuccessfully spent a few hours trying to find a explanation to the working configurations and to the non working configurations. It seems that the card is correctly recognized after a certain number of uninstallation / re-installation of pulseaudio and a certain number of rmmod / modprobe of the snd_usb_audio module, but I can't find any reproducible logic, so I'm currently unable to produce a stable config.
I think I've spent too much time with this sound card, and I'd like to use a new one which is recognized by Linux (I use devuan, not Ubuntu, Mint, ...), and which works without any problem.
I'd like to have a very good audiophile sound card I could use with Sony CD 3000 (or even better headphones ...).
Anyway, if you know an audiophile sound card which is not a USB card but a PCI one, that works without any problem, I would also be interested in knowing its brand and reference.
Thanks.
I have a Sonar DSX I think, in one of my server boxes, but I don't use it anymore. Anyway, it worked perfectly with Linux. I used pavucontrol and all the various outputs and inputs are controllable.

But really, until you spend a lot of money we're not talking about audiophile PCI cards. You could check RME, maybe Roland. Also check pro audio shops like Thomann. Unfortunately not many brands are going to claim Linux support but Linux supports a lot of stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back