What will blow me away?
Feb 12, 2013 at 1:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Johnstephen95

New Head-Fier
I am looking for a pair of headphones under 200 dollars. Currently, I have a pair of bose ae2's, and I genuinely enjoy them;however, the sound doesnt wow me. I had ATH m50's but they were uncomfortable. So my focus is on comfort and sound.
What do I listen to?
Electronic, rock, folk, indie, classical piano. A big range, so I need good all around sound.
What I will be using with:
My Galaxy note II, PC, thats about it.
So far I've been suggested the beyerdynamic dt770 but they were out of my price range.
Now,if anyone knows of really good on ear head phones, I'm open to anything with good isolation.
Thank you.

Feb 12, 2013 at 1:32 PM Post #2 of 9
You said on-ear but the DT770s are circumaural. Are you okay with full-sized or does it have to be on-ear?

But basically, less than 200, closed, easy to drive.

Nope, nothing will blow you away, certainly not a closed phone in that price range. I would suggest Mad Dogs.

Feb 12, 2013 at 1:46 PM Post #3 of 9
The DT770 is under 200 dollars street price. Look for a seller called cobrasonics on ebay if you want the 80 Ohm version. If you want the 250 Ohm version, you can get that under 200 from a lot of sellers.

Feb 12, 2013 at 1:46 PM Post #4 of 9
While you're asking for suggestions under $200 you might still want to at least try some top of the line ones so you at least know what you're getting into...
Thankfully someone pointed me in the right direction before I spent too much on intermediate gear :)
2 months ago I regarded anyone spending $1000 on headphones insane, - then I listened to HD800...
2 weeks ago I regarded anyone spending $5000 on headphones insane, - then I listened to SR-009...

Anyway, many stores will let you borrow their listening room for a few hours just sampling models, bring some music you know in qood quality and try some stuff out, and don't ask for the prices til after you've made up your mind, - you could be positively surprised :)

And just to get you started: the Sennheiser HD280Pro's are very isolating, leak very little, easy transport as they fold up, and are in my opinion comfortable for closed cans.
I used them at work because I can wear them 3-4 hours without problems, I don't get disturbed by coworkers and noises, and I don't disturb the people around me almost no matter how loud I play... (oh, they are no good if you have to move around a lot)
(avoid the new 380's, they leak a lot more sound and do not isolate as much as 280)

Feb 12, 2013 at 1:57 PM Post #5 of 9
Do yourself a favor and save up for the Yamaha PRO 500. Amazing can and worth every penny. I've owned a number of cans under $300 (they weren't bad but they were all lacking in some way, shape or form) and speaking as a person who doesn't have a lot of money - the PRO 500 is worth it and is now my ultimate headphone, period. It's detailed and has natural timbre accuracy - instruments sound very lifelike. It's balanced across the frequency and just sounds right. Soundstage is great and so is stereo imaging and layering - the best I have heard in a closed can.

My $0.02.

Feb 12, 2013 at 7:23 PM Post #7 of 9
While you're asking for suggestions under $200 you might still want to at least try some top of the line ones so you at least know what you're getting into...
Thankfully someone pointed me in the right direction before I spent too much on intermediate gear :)
2 months ago I regarded anyone spending $1000 on headphones insane, - then I listened to HD800...
2 weeks ago I regarded anyone spending $5000 on headphones insane, - then I listened to SR-009...

Anyway, many stores will let you borrow their listening room for a few hours just sampling models, bring some music you know in qood quality and try some stuff out, and don't ask for the prices til after you've made up your mind, - you could be positively surprised :)

And just to get you started: the Sennheiser HD280Pro's are very isolating, leak very little, easy transport as they fold up, and are in my opinion comfortable for closed cans.
I used them at work because I can wear them 3-4 hours without problems, I don't get disturbed by coworkers and noises, and I don't disturb the people around me almost no matter how loud I play... (oh, they are no good if you have to move around a lot)
(avoid the new 380's, they leak a lot more sound and do not isolate as much as 280)
thank you! Very helpful

Feb 12, 2013 at 7:23 PM Post #8 of 9
Do yourself a favor and save up for the Yamaha PRO 500. Amazing can and worth every penny. I've owned a number of cans under $300 (they weren't bad but they were all lacking in some way, shape or form) and speaking as a person who doesn't have a lot of money - the PRO 500 is worth it and is now my ultimate headphone, period. It's detailed and has natural timbre accuracy - instruments sound very lifelike. It's balanced across the frequency and just sounds right. Soundstage is great and so is stereo imaging and layering - the best I have heard in a closed can.

My $0.02.
ill check them out. Thank you

Users who are viewing this thread

Back