What would be a significant upgrade from Beyerdynamic DT 1990 Pro for music?
Aug 26, 2021 at 6:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 35

jordancondi

New Head-Fier
Back in June of 2019 I bought a BD DT1990 Pro with some random audio cables for 450 euros. I am using the headphones with an internal PC sound card, Creative Sound Blaster AE7.

But as of yesterday I've starting having issues with audio cutting out on right channel, maybe faulty cable from a lot of bending but I am not an expert. I've tried plugging/unplugging cables, messing with audio drivers and software.
My experience with DT 1990 has been nice but not a fan of some of the ear piercing treble.

So I am wondering what would be a great headphone to buy. My budget is not too crazy, maybe $1000 max.
Would anybody please be able to help me out?

Aug 26, 2021 at 9:47 AM Post #2 of 35
(Prices retail full price, all listed from review research not on ear auditioning)

Dynamic - Kenerton Vali $1,200 - open, ZMF Atticus $1,099- semi open (both, seek pre-owned or any of those companies headphones pre-owned)

Planar - Dan Clark Aeon 2 Noire $899 , HiFiMan Ananda $699, Arya $1,599 (seek pre-owned), Gold planar gl2000 $639 - all open

Apos Caspian dynamic $499, (just released with Kennerton 50mm driver), only come across one review, it was positive, and concluded it competes in the $500-$1k segment.

Whether these are all significant upgrades? I'd say yes to all but the last since it's too new to say.

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2021 at 4:13 PM Post #3 of 35
Drop Elex (narrower soundstage but far superior overall performance).
Ananda as a planar option (increased instrument separation compared to dynamic drivers but slightly unreal “plasticky” timbre.

Aug 26, 2021 at 6:09 PM Post #5 of 35
With that much you can get 2 great hps. Id go with Sash Tres/Verum one for planars and Apos Caspian for dynamic.
I was going to postpone all headphone purchases until the Caspian was fully vetted, but that's gonna take a minute.

Lo and behold a Verum One MKII appeared in classified here in the states, so no extended waiting or break-in, got-em yesterday, I'm appreciating them.
(had read they punch above Sundara and equal Audeze LCD2 classic.) So I would recommend them, but what 3 month wait time.

Doh! dropped out of me brain pan, Drop Elex $799, Sash Tres $350 & ibasso SR2 $549, double doh!

What's the lead time on the Sash Tres?

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2021 at 8:27 PM Post #7 of 35
I was going to postpone all headphone purchases until the Caspian was fully vetted, but that's gonna take a minute.

Lo and behold a Verum One MKII appeared in classified here in the states, so no extended waiting or break-in, got-em yesterday, I'm appreciating them.
(had read they punch above Sundara and equal Audeze LCD2 classic.) So I would recommend them, but what 3 month wait time.

Doh! dropped out of me brain pan, Drop Elex $799, Sash Tres $350 & ibasso SR2 $549, double doh!

What's the lead time on the Sash Tres?
You are lucky you can buy the Caspian, no chance here in Europe...
About the Verum one, it really punchs above it's price. Good build quality, comfortable and great all rounder with neutralish sound with a pleasing touch of warmth. I had both the LCD2 and the Sundara and I prefer the Verums, but they all are top hps.

My Sash tres took less than 3 weeks to arrive. 1 week to built it and a bit more than a week to arrive, but it's really worth it, specially now that he sells it with a box at a great price.

Aug 27, 2021 at 5:56 AM Post #8 of 35
What changes would you most appreciate vs the 1990 and what sound signature do you enjoy?
Not a big fan with how on occasion the treble on the dt 1990 will be too much and hurts my ears a bit.

I just enjoyed the amount of detail and the soundstage capabilities of the dt 1990 and how i could seemingly hear almost anything though one complaint would be maybe voices didn't appear to be exactly centered depending on the audio track.

Initially i had considered maybe HD 800 from Sennheiser but probably not good as i never / almost never listen to classical or those kinds of music. I mostly listen to i.e. Imagine Dragons, italian pop, The Weeknd, James Bay, Lindsey Stirling, Of Monsters and Men, Sia, Harry Styles and older rock/metal from AFI, The Killers, Tenacious D, Disturbed, Eric Johnson to name a few.

Was thinking to maybe go all out on HifiMan Arya, was comparing it to Focal / Sennheiser / Beyerdynamic but am not 100% convinced on it. If I do purchase it it'll likely be the last pair i buy for the next 20+ years.

Aug 27, 2021 at 7:57 AM Post #9 of 35
Not a big fan with how on occasion the treble on the dt 1990 will be too much and hurts my ears a bit.

I just enjoyed the amount of detail and the soundstage capabilities of the dt 1990 and how i could seemingly hear almost anything though one complaint would be maybe voices didn't appear to be exactly centered depending on the audio track.

Initially i had considered maybe HD 800 from Sennheiser but probably not good as i never / almost never listen to classical or those kinds of music. I mostly listen to i.e. Imagine Dragons, italian pop, The Weeknd, James Bay, Lindsey Stirling, Of Monsters and Men, Sia, Harry Styles and older rock/metal from AFI, The Killers, Tenacious D, Disturbed, Eric Johnson to name a few.

Was thinking to maybe go all out on HifiMan Arya, was comparing it to Focal / Sennheiser / Beyerdynamic but am not 100% convinced on it. If I do purchase it it'll likely be the last pair i buy for the next 20+ years.
I wouldnt recommende you the Aryas or hd800 for Rock/Metal. Focal clear will be better suited for that. Kennerton Vali is the best hp for those genres that I've tried. The Caspian is based on it, so it could be a great alternative.

Aug 27, 2021 at 8:41 AM Post #10 of 35
I wouldnt recommende you the Aryas or hd800 for Rock/Metal. Focal clear will be better suited for that. Kennerton Vali is the best hp for those genres that I've tried. The Caspian is based on it, so it could be a great alternative.
I rarely listen to rock/metal.
Mostly the other ones I'd mentioned

Aug 27, 2021 at 10:32 AM Post #14 of 35
Zmf auteur is worth looking at.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back