What would you do? (Classifieds Related)
Apr 11, 2012 at 8:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 40

Mr.Sneis

Headphoneus Supremus
Bought some ath-ad2k's from Vegeta55555 about 3 weeks back.  I received them very recently (DHL Int'l shipping is apparently just that slow) and while I can overlook the wear on the pads which I wasn't expecting, right out of the box the headband was completely broken.  I'm fairly certain that this wasn't the case when he shipped them.  DHL has got to be the worst company I know of when it comes to shipping so filing a claim is probably not going to end well or may even not be possible.  I called up AT in the US and they told me they cannot warranty them but can sell me the part for $70+10 shipping.

Frustrated about the purchase I went ahead and bought the headband and during this time was in communication with the seller.  When it got to the point where I asked if he would partially refund to help offset this unexpected cost he basically started giving me the cold shoulder to the point where he now does not respond to my inquiries.  I know he's seen the messages I've sent based on his activity which shows to me when clicking into his profile.  I can also understand the fact that I purchased the headband beforehand out of frustration doesn't really help things, but c'mon what else am I going to do?

What should I do at this point?  I know know Vegeta has relatively good feedback on the forum and I don't really wish to aggrevate him or anything as it's not really in my personality.  Do I just chalk this up to learning?  I suppose it could have been worse but it's a total buzzkill.

Apr 11, 2012 at 10:32 PM Post #3 of 40
Might at well start filing the claim and see what comes out of it. If they don't cover the complete cost of the damaged item, maybe they will cover enough to help recoup the costs of the headband.

Apr 11, 2012 at 10:43 PM Post #4 of 40
It is not his fault that shipping went wrong, I have even traded headphones with him, W5000 and A2000X swap, honest and without hiccups, so I don't think he just sold you a broken headphone.

You HAVE to claim from the shipping company. When you paid the shipping, it will be insured with a value. It is not the seller's fault if the shipping gone wrong, unless he posted without proper packaging or wrong postage service than you requested. DHL might be a terrible company, but they have to deal with broken goods by law.

Apr 12, 2012 at 12:07 AM Post #5 of 40

Quote:
It is not his fault that shipping went wrong, I have even traded headphones with him, W5000 and A2000X swap, honest and without hiccups, so I don't think he just sold you a broken headphone.
You HAVE to claim from the shipping company. When you paid the shipping, it will be insured with a value. It is not the seller's fault if the shipping gone wrong, unless he posted without proper packaging or wrong postage service than you requested. DHL might be a terrible company, but they have to deal with broken goods by law.

Thanks, you do bring up a good point.  Like I said I am sure he did not mean to have this happen and it definitely seems related to the handling during shipping.  I know he is a prominent member on head-fi after all.  I am reaching out to DHL.DE to see if they can file a insurance claim; my fingers are crossed but I don't have high expectations.  I guess what upsets me most is that the seller has simply stopped replying ~ I'm almost certain it's going to have to be the seller that communicates with DHL if they can swing any sort of insurance claim so that's not a good sign.

Apr 12, 2012 at 12:29 AM Post #6 of 40
Was there any obvious damage to the box/outer box?  Seems like if that type damage occurred in shipping, there would have to be some serious indications in the condition of the package.  

If you can recoup the cost of the replacement headband, that would make you whole and is probably the best you can do.  I had a situation where I sold a pair of Apogee Stages and one speaker was damaged by what appeared to be a forklift punching a nice hole straight through the double boxes and styrofoam they were packed in -- ripping through one of the ribbons in the process.  UPS paid for a pair of new ribbons rather than pay out the cost of the speakers, which was fine with the buyer.  This is a realistic expectation in these situations.

Apr 14, 2012 at 9:17 PM Post #8 of 40
It's not the seller's fault if shipping goes wrong.  The seller would have to contact the shipping company and initiate a claim.  It's a very bad situation when the seller stops communication as it's a very important aspect of a transaction.  Take a picture of the box and the internal packaging and send it to the seller.  If he doesn't reply, you should leave a negative feedback just to warn others how he/she had dealt with the situation when a problem arises.

Apr 14, 2012 at 9:22 PM Post #9 of 40

Quote:
Yeah, I'd be absolutely floored if the headband cost could be recouped.  The box is a bit banged up, not any one spot but overall it took a beating.  I probably should get pics of it.

That will help with the claim.  Did the seller happen take pics before/after sealing up the package?  I have always done this with any gear that is worth anything.  

Apr 14, 2012 at 9:27 PM Post #10 of 40
Was the package insured? It's reasons like this why I typically insure anything I sell that has a decent value. Also it doesn't help that the seller is not in good communication anymore but while it may not be the seller's fault you did not receive what you thought you would get. I would ask the seller (assuming only sellers can file) to file a claim with the shipping company and go from there. If that doesn't work then maybe something like half the cost would be fair.

It is my stance both as a buyer and seller than the headphone or whatever is being sold is the seller until I have the item in my hand unless of course it is agreed by both parties differently which has happened a few case.

Apr 15, 2012 at 3:17 AM Post #11 of 40
Good luck with DHL. I'd say at least be glad they didn't lose the package (I've heard this story too many times with DHL - with UPS it may arrived in ten pieces, with USPS you may get the postmaster bag, and with FedEx it may come delayed by your signature, but at least they all ARRIVE). 

I would not at all blame the seller for this. If he/she was willing to give you some cash towards the headband, I'd consider it a gift, and be happy about it. Otherwise, no harm, no foul.

Again, good luck with DHL.

Apr 15, 2012 at 3:41 AM Post #12 of 40
I think you guys are being too nice on the seller's part. Stop giving him the benefit of the doubt.
If he truly was unaware of the condition of the cans [Which is strange considering even the pads are damaged], then he should at least maintain communication and try to assist you throughout the process.
I don't care if he has ample feedback, it doesn't stop him from overlooking a fault or making a mistake.
I've even had 1000+ feedback members sell me counterfeits by negligence.

This comes down to this. As I'm sure vegeta has seen this thread.
First, what was the arrangement for shipping? Did you and the seller knowingly agree to the carrier? Or did he decide to take the least expensive shipping option internationally without insurance/tracking?

The rules are simple. Tracking and insurance on international deals. If vegeta didn't ask you about it/ inform you via pm, he's at fault.

Good luck, I suggest you contact the admins if he is still un-cooperative.

Apr 15, 2012 at 3:43 AM Post #13 of 40
Was the package insured? It's reasons like this why I typically insure anything I sell that has a decent value. Also it doesn't help that the seller is not in good communication anymore but while it may not be the seller's fault you did not receive what you thought you would get. I would ask the seller (assuming only sellers can file) to file a claim with the shipping company and go from there. If that doesn't work then maybe something like half the cost would be fair.

It is my stance both as a buyer and seller than the headphone or whatever is being sold is the seller until I have the item in my hand unless of course it is agreed by both parties differently which has happened a few case.

+1
Get in contact with the admins, seller, and DHL.

Apr 15, 2012 at 9:56 PM Post #14 of 40
I have left negative feedback for the seller. Also have contacted dhl. Both the seller and dhl have yet to reply. I am pretty sure seller is still active so he is just choosing to ignore me.

Apr 15, 2012 at 10:12 PM Post #15 of 40
It may not be the fault of the seller, but it is the sellers responsibility to get the product, as described, safely into the hands of the buyer, whatever that takes.  Insurance is also always an option, and if it was packed well, and insured appropriately the seller should be able to recoup damages - though indeed it may be a royal PITA.  Still, it IS the sellers responsibility - that's part of selling online/by mail.  If I sold something and it arrived damaged, I'd put in a claim right away and work with the buyer to get it resolved and the buyer reimbursed.  If it was expensive or left the buyer empty handed I would reimburse them immediately and work on getting my insurance paid.  I pack for Judgment Day, so if I packed it, and it got damaged, there is no way the shipper would be able to point at my packing.  I think this is a very common mistake - to underpack or not take into consideration what a typical package goes through to get from one place to another.  Regardless, it is the sellers responsibility. This is the way it is prescribed on Audiogon an on eBay, as well as the way any e-tailer worth their salt and staying in business, conduct themselves.  It is as it should be.  The seller is ultimately responsible for delivering on their promise - their end of the deal - to deliver the item as described to the buyer at an agreed upon price.  I don't care how prominent they are or how many positive feedbacks they have, if your seller is turning his/her back on this and being entirely unresponsive, given just your side of the story, I think your negative feedback is just and deserved.  We haven't heard the seller's story though, so I'm just responding to what you've presented here.  I'm surprised at so many seemingly taking sides with the seller in this case.  I doubt they would be doing so if they were on the receiving end of the transaction. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back