What's a step up from K501 for acoustic music?
Apr 9, 2012 at 2:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

tmcevoy213

New Head-Fier
I've been listening to jazz and other acoustic music through my AKG K501s for a few years now, and I love them. But as good as they are, I'm beginning to wonder how the next step would sound. I'll do my research on here of course, but before I fling myself into hours of sifting, patient and generous head-fiers, which headphones would you recommend I consider? The first to come to mind are the K701, but that's not very imaginative I suppose. All responses are appreciated!

Apr 9, 2012 at 3:21 PM Post #2 of 7

Quote:
I've been listening to jazz and other acoustic music through my AKG K501s for a few years now, and I love them. But as good as they are, I'm beginning to wonder how the next step would sound. I'll do my research on here of course, but before I fling myself into hours of sifting, patient and generous head-fiers, which headphones would you recommend I consider? The first to come to mind are the K701, but that's not very imaginative I suppose. All responses are appreciated!

But it is logical.  The K 701/2 & Q 701should be the first stops for your consideration train.  The fact that AKG/Harmon have the K 701 on sale at just under $200 shipped may help things along.

Apr 9, 2012 at 3:39 PM Post #3 of 7
Are you moreso looking to purchase a new set of headphones that have a similar sound signature to the K501s or a set of headphones with an alternative sound signature to the K501s? (e.g., specifically I have in mind the Denon D5000s, shouldn't cost you more than $400, which have a more forward bass response than the AKGs and which are also closed-back...)

I'm liking this new set of Q701s I have on my head right now, though. These headphones were definitely made for jazz/acoustic music. The bass response is, admittedly, a bit underwhelming. I am EQ'ing the bass end of the spectrum a few dB higher right now, and I will continue to play around with amp settings when my E17 arrives tomorrow...

Apr 9, 2012 at 4:06 PM Post #4 of 7
I'm looking for something in the same ballpark, just a notch or two up in quality. I'm happy with the K501's bass; if anything I'd like a more detailed/revealing midrange and maybe a gentler treble. I'm starting to think I should consider a dac though, as I am currently flying dacless...

Apr 9, 2012 at 4:29 PM Post #5 of 7
What are you using now in the way of a music player and
associated electronics?

Depending on what you have, an upgrade in that area can 
make a huge difference in the way your headphones sound.

Apr 9, 2012 at 4:32 PM Post #6 of 7

Quote:
I'm looking for something in the same ballpark, just a notch or two up in quality. I'm happy with the K501's bass; if anything I'd like a more detailed/revealing midrange and maybe a gentler treble. I'm starting to think I should consider a dac though, as I am currently flying dacless...

I find the MSII into my AD900s gives me the traits you describe, and I have owned the K501/K601 previously. I absolutely adore the way the 900s render treble, particularly after spending so long with various Grado models. Sole complaint I can think of is that some consider the soundstage to be artificially large - personallly, I love it - and others claim vocals have a nasal qualiity. All I know is that these are a significant step up from the AD700 - ignore the usual bleating about 'no bass'. 

Apr 9, 2012 at 5:58 PM Post #7 of 7
@zazex: Right now my setup is: Lossless files on macbook -> Marantz 2238B receiver -> K501s. There's not much I can do about the computer source, but I realized I could add a DAC, which would probably give me the best bang-for-the-buck improvement, right?

@estreeter: Thanks, that's exactly the kind of feedback I was looking for! I'll look further into both those pieces.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back