What's cheaper and as detailed and almost as neutral as the Beyerdynamic DT880 250ohm?
Apr 28, 2012 at 4:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

hyogen

500+ Head-Fier
I got my DT880 for about $215 new.  As much as I absolutely love them and are perfectly satisfied with them--I think my dad would really use them a lot more than me--being that they're so comfy and semi-open and he's into strictly classical music.

I went from Galaxy S + Voodoo source to iPod 5.5g source, then back to galaxy s + voodoo because I enjoy the more warmness for my music especially for vocals (plus I really missed touch interface/search).  I also have the Fiio E17 which I love--really does a splendid job of JUST boosting bass and keeps the mids pretty untouched as other people have observed as well.  I never thought of myself as a basshead--thus I fell in love with the TF10 and DT880 250ohm, but with this amp--I quite enjoy the bass boost.  The 5db amplification that comes with Voodoo is quite splendid--and I eagerly await my Cowon J3 to arrive in the mail in a few days. 

So,  as much as I'm satisfied with my setup now--what could I get that is cheaper for myself and as fast/detailed like the DT880 250ohm?  I guess I don't absolutely need a perfectly neutral headphone--as long as the mids aren't recessed. 

Would a Sony MDR-V6 fit the bill?  I remember auditioning the V6 once and thought they were quite nice.  I didn't do a side-by-side comparison, however.  AT M50?  If I end up giving my DT880 to my dad, I really don't want to spend more than $125ish. 

I thought I would lug my DT880s everywhere including the library at school (in the non-quiet floors), but I haven't been so much because it rains quite a bit here in Portland and I also feel the DT880s are a little delicate to be carrying around everywhere with me.  I mostly use my TF10, but have recently noticed that they lack some detail in the highs compared to the DT880.

I have a feeling that less than $215 that I paid for my DT880 will leave me wanting more...  I feel they are worth much more than their retail price of $310.

EDIT:  I guess what would be most ideal is a closed equivalent of the DT880.  I understand it won't have the same soundstage.  

Apr 29, 2012 at 6:04 PM Post #8 of 11
ah ok, i forgot those were closed.  thanks :)  

is the DT880 at all comparable to the Sennheiser HD25-1 ii I've seen a lot of on the boards lately?  

EDIT:   looking at the freq. response chart on headroom's site--doesn't look like it 

Apr 29, 2012 at 6:29 PM Post #9 of 11
So you want something as good as the DT880s, but at a cheaper price.
A closed can is going to have less sound stage.
Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 250-Ohm.
KRK KNS 8400, cheaper, but I'm guessing not quite as good as the DT880s.

Apr 29, 2012 at 6:55 PM Post #10 of 11
Actually, yes. The DT250 uses the same drivers as the DT700 series, but tuned differently. The DT250 is uniformly flat across the frequency spectrum, whereas the DT770 has a V-curve that is not as neutral. The mids of the DT770 are considerably worse than the DT250s. 

The DT770 has more soundstage than the DT250 but not hugely so. You're not going to get DT880-style soundstage with a closed can anyway.
Quote:
thank you.    so what is the closed can equivalent of the DT880, then?  DT250?  :O    

Apr 29, 2012 at 8:03 PM Post #11 of 11
I think you may want to give Audio Technica ATH-ES7 a look.

It doesn't have the bass quality or soundstage of the DT880, but I think it sounds closer to being a portable DT880 than all of my other headphones.

The M50 is also a good contender, assuming you can find one that has more prominent midrange (less bass bloat conversely). The bass-centric M50 doesn't sound anywhere close to a DT880.

I wouldn't look at DT770 if closeness to DT880 was considered. I honestly think the DT770 is closer to a closed DT990 than to a closed DT880. The midrange is nowhere near that of DT880.

But that's just from my perspective with a 600 Ohm DT880. Maybe the DT770 is closer to 250 Ohm DT880.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back