What's the best amp for HD800
Apr 22, 2013 at 9:26 PM Post #16 of 680
No love for the Liquid Glass, you hurt me deep Peter. 
frown.gif

Have u heard of the liquid glass? How does it sound? It's an interesting amp

Apr 22, 2013 at 9:44 PM Post #17 of 680
Quote:
Have u heard of the liquid glass? How does it sound? It's an interesting amp

I own a Liquid Glass amplifier, and to my ears it is the best amp for the HD800. I know that my opinion is bias, but the versatility of the amp via tube rolling is really something to marvel at. Mind you, I have only auditioned some of the other contenders so please take what I say with a grain a salt, and obviously YMMV. But that aside, the major selling point of the amp is the ability to change the sound via tubes, which can alter what the amp sounds like. It is like having many amps in one. 

Now with that said, I'm not putting down any of the other amps. I actually loved the DNA Stratus, WA5, and LF. I haven't heard many of the others such as the GS-X, Super 7, etc. So maybe someone more experienced can speak for those comparisons.  

Apr 24, 2013 at 8:45 AM Post #18 of 680
Super 7 is supposedly a chameleon combo with the HD800. I really like the Phonitor pairing with the HD800 much more so than my own b22 or any of the other b22 (2,3 and balanced channel) I've heard.

Interestingly, I asked user radio_head about what  ss amp's he liked best with the HD800, as follows:

1) GS-X
2) DSHA-1
3) BHA-1
4) LAu
5) Headroom Max Reference

Apr 25, 2013 at 1:37 AM Post #20 of 680
I own a Liquid Glass amplifier, and to my ears it is the best amp for the HD800. I know that my opinion is bias, but the versatility of the amp via tube rolling is really something to marvel at. Mind you, I have only auditioned some of the other contenders so please take what I say with a grain a salt, and obviously YMMV. But that aside, the major selling point of the amp is the ability to change the sound via tubes, which can alter what the amp sounds like. It is like having many amps in one. 

Now with that said, I'm not putting down any of the other amps. I actually loved the DNA Stratus, WA5, and LF. I haven't heard many of the others such as the GS-X, Super 7, etc. So maybe someone more experienced can speak for those comparisons.  

Decision was made yesterday. Ordered a LG. Thank you for the information!

Apr 26, 2013 at 6:08 AM Post #25 of 680
I can understand the logic behind aftermarket analog cables, because it is theoretically better.
Although I do believe that the human ear isn't good enough for a difference.

Digital cables and power cables on the other hand... are just unbelievable.
Most quality amps/dacs have some sort of powering-filtering thingy anyway.
Only if you have a special, power-filtering super-pure-ultra-mega-platinum-hybrid-DNA-flex-power™ UPS I could understand a power cable.

The wiring that runs in your house and through the ground before it reaches your house is really ****ty compared to these cables.
I just can't help but facepalm when people say it made it difference plugged directly into their wall because a cable can't "fix" bad power, it can only prevent it from getting worse.

This is getting off-topic though, and these kind of discussions usually end up in "topic locked" even if we're being civil.

Apr 26, 2013 at 3:27 PM Post #29 of 680
DAC2 is a hi-end DAC, but the amp part is not that good for hd800 when compared with other hi-end amps. It offers a big sound stage,but the image is too thin for me. But it drives Grado RS1 very well.

Hm, I found my DAC2 to be pretty decent for use with the HD800, which surprised me as I expected the Mjolnir/Taurus/HDVD800 to be better til I tried them...

Apr 26, 2013 at 3:28 PM Post #30 of 680
Quote:
HDVD800 nothing else cant be as good as this amp is for HD800 =)

thats like saying Beyerdynamic A1 is the best amp for T1,  
confused_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back