What's the best DAP for driving 600 ohm headphones?
Jun 12, 2018 at 2:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

JD8456

Head-Fier
So as the title says I'm trying to find the best high end dap able to drive 600 ohm headphones, such as the beyerdynamic t1's. I'm currently using an ibasso dx200 via the balanced output.

However I'm concerned I'm not getting the most out of the headphones, and wanted to see if I could find any other DAP'S with a higher power output. Or a way to increase the power output of my dx200. Which I've heard is possible with certain wiring and cables.

Jun 12, 2018 at 3:51 PM Post #2 of 8
My suggestion is not to use 600-Ohm headphones with portable audio.

But for 600-Ohm headphones, for a portable headphone amplifier, at least get a FiiO A5.

Jun 12, 2018 at 4:37 PM Post #5 of 8
You have a good one, if you're using amp card 1, you should probably swap it out for amp 3 or 5. That'd be the first place to start depending on your cabling. I'm not exactly sure which one is most powerful, but I know it is not the standard amp card 1.

Jun 12, 2018 at 4:53 PM Post #6 of 8
You have a good one, if you're using amp card 1, you should probably swap it out for amp 3 or 5. That'd be the first place to start depending on your cabling. I'm not exactly sure which one is most powerful, but I know it is not the standard amp card 1.

Out of interest how can I tell specification wise which one is most powerful. What do I need to be looking for exactly? Because at the moment I'm going purely by how high the vrms output is.

Jun 12, 2018 at 5:10 PM Post #7 of 8
Having a hard time understanding that myself on these as they are using a vrms measurement rather than mw @xx ohms.

People in the dedicated thread for that DAP could surely tell you for sure but I believe I owe you an apology

Based on what I'm seeing, amp cards 3 and 1 may be the most powerful and best suited. You already have a pretty powerful setup for a DAP if you're using balanced out on the 1....

Without spending a ton of money, you're going to be hard pressed to do it better without a desktop amp.

Jun 12, 2018 at 10:53 PM Post #8 of 8
Personal experience here:
There are several DAP manufacturers claim that their DAP can drive a 600 ohms can. Yes they can - with a comfortable audible volume but I find that the final outcome is not the fullest. The potential of the headphones are restricted by the DAP. This is my finding. I still feel a dedicated amp is the best solution.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back