What's the deal with MDR-V900HD's?!?
May 12, 2011 at 10:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

derycksan

100+ Head-Fier
Revisiting the V900HD questions, seems this place is flooded with the evils of Chinese knockoffs but what about the real deals?  I have a pair and they sound like a decent studio monitor.  Kind of bland if you like heavy bass and sparkly highs but their mids sound pretty damn good and they do what they're supposed to.

I've spent some time (not alot, but some) comparing them to some Shure 840's and the Shure's definately have the edge in the low-end, I actually like the Sony's for mids.  Highs are a toss up to preference, Shure's are slightly more pronounced but the Sony's are smoother IMO (like comparing silk domes to titanium tweeters).

So why do these cans seem to be ignored on this forum?  It seems the "Pro" version MDR-7509 seems to get some love, are these two models that much different?

May 13, 2011 at 2:44 PM Post #2 of 3
I've wanted to give the V900HD for awhile now, maybe one of these days.  I think one factor in their lack of popularity is the fact that they're so heavily counterfeited, to the point that one has worry even when buying from reputable vendors.

May 13, 2011 at 7:25 PM Post #3 of 3
I owned the MDR V900HDs and loved them.  Then I went to the Chicago CanJam and tried out the Denon AH -D7000s, LCD-2s, Senn H800, Beyer T1s and others.  I knew the Denons were for me after a good listen.  The kicker was I had them measured and they measured aweful for frequency response and other measures.  The bass does not exist compared to the higher end phones.  It was quite an adjustment to hear real bass with the D7000s.  But until my Denons, they were the best headphones I'd ever owned and will always respect them as my gateway step to the higher end.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back