When can we expect the next iPod?
Aug 21, 2006 at 8:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Bosk

1000+ Head-Fier
I'm planning on buying a new flash player and have been considering the 4GB Nano but with rumours of a 6GB Nano floating around I might hold off instead.

Any ideas when the next iPod (most likely a Nano) will arrive?

Aug 21, 2006 at 8:58 AM Post #2 of 11
I've heard rumors about September. Maybe. But absolutely in time for the holidays. Part for the holidays and part to fight Zune, which I think is coming out around then, as well.

Rumor is the Nano will get a bump in memory, and that the full-sized iPods are going to 60GB and 120GB. Seagate is coming out with new drives in those capacities. That's amazing... I think I might eBay my 30GB in a month or two and hold out for a 120GB. With that kind of storage, I can stop using AAC and transfer my ALAC collection directly onto the iPod. That'll be awesome.

Aug 21, 2006 at 4:12 PM Post #3 of 11
Pretty soon, because Apple is giving away Nanos with new laptops for college students. This always means that a new iPod is going to come out.

Watch www.thinksecret.com for news
lambda.gif

Aug 22, 2006 at 12:51 AM Post #5 of 11
For a new full sized ipod unit as well? I knew they had new nano's coming. I just purchased a 5g...that'd really bum me out ;(

-edit- just took a look at the think secret link...from that site I get the impression that 6g ipods will be out early 2007 with perhaps updated 40gb and 80gb 5g ipods for the holidays. 6g sounds like it will focus even more on video playing, which is of no concern to me. one can't say for sure, but often when a company crams more features in a product things suffer, and i'd almost expect the sound quality to suffer when video becomes the focus.

Aug 22, 2006 at 1:43 AM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by fierce_freak
For a new full sized ipod unit as well? I knew they had new nano's coming. I just purchased a 5g...that'd really bum me out ;(

-edit- just took a look at the think secret link...from that site I get the impression that 6g ipods will be out early 2007 with perhaps updated 40gb and 80gb 5g ipods for the holidays. 6g sounds like it will focus even more on video playing, which is of no concern to me. one can't say for sure, but often when a company crams more features in a product things suffer, and i'd almost expect the sound quality to suffer when video becomes the focus.

Be very careful with any new full sized iPods. Rockbox works well with the 5g and the 6g (or whatever it will be called0 may be completely hardware incompatible with Rockbox and you'll have to wait the developement time for Rockbox to be written for it. Also, it's entirely possible Apple could pull a Linksys and totally ruin any new iPods. What Linksys did was decrease the amount of flash memory in the new versions (5 and up) of the WRT54G and the good 3rd party firmware cannot be used as there isn't enough memory. The 5g at 60gig works well with Rockbox. It work well NOW. So don't worry that you just got yourself a 5g. For all you know, the 6g may not ever be Rockbox savvy. It's any unknown at this point. You have something that works well. So be happy and enjoy.

Aug 22, 2006 at 1:55 AM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by fierce_freak

I'm going to go out on a limb here: I believe Apple will add a 1st Generation iPod Video and upgrade the 5G iPod with the larger HDDs. More Models means more choices and more revenue for Apple.

Aug 22, 2006 at 8:19 PM Post #8 of 11
Yeah, I kind of got that impression from what I read, stevesurf, though you've raised the thought for me that they may further split their product line with an ipod more suited for video and an ipod more suited for audio (smaller due to screen size).

Thanks for the good thoughts, JWolf. I think you've the right of it.

Aug 22, 2006 at 11:25 PM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bosk
I'm planning on buying a new flash player and have been considering the 4GB Nano but with rumours of a 6GB Nano floating around I might hold off instead.

Any ideas when the next iPod (most likely a Nano) will arrive?

Who cares? Get the new 8gb Sandisk Sansa e200 (available in 6gb and 4gb as well)

Aug 23, 2006 at 1:37 AM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by drizek
Who cares? Get the new 8gb Sandisk Sansa e200 (available in 6gb and 4gb as well)

Not every1 likes sandisk, and I find that looking for something is abit more difficult than an ipod (not shuffle, of course).

I'd probably end up buying a 6g ipod since im a video-holic... But if the quality of sound suffers since it would be focusing on size and video-playback, I'd rather get an iRiver G10 (some call it V10, which is a completely different thing alltogether), which is codenamed "wind". It has much less memory, but it's flash.
smily_headphones1.gif
And supports more codecs too (for video)... not too sure about audio, if it supports lossless or not, but I'm not a major audiophile, and IMHO, it takes up too much space... especially for something with only 8gb of space (G10). I wouldn't mind if it had terrible sound quality though, because unlike the 6g ipod, it can play games who's graphics are on-par or better than that of the PSP's.

If it were up to me though, I'd get the G10. I like games.
smily_headphones1.gif
Also because it can do everything and more than a 6g ipod.... other than..... things related to a touch screen :p

Aug 23, 2006 at 8:43 AM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by JWolf
Be very careful with any new full sized iPods. Rockbox works well with the 5g and the 6g (or whatever it will be called0 may be completely hardware incompatible with Rockbox and you'll have to wait the developement time for Rockbox to be written for it.

rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back