Where are Sennheisers Made ??
Jan 17, 2008 at 12:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 36

fld777

100+ Head-Fier
Just wondering, where are sennheisers made especially the higher end models 580/600/650 ?

I recently purchased some Ultimate Ears , assumed they were made in USA, only to find out they are made in China. Which didnt really matter because the built quality is very good & sounds good.

Thanks for input.

Ferds

Jan 17, 2008 at 12:46 PM Post #7 of 36
Most of the high end one are from Ireland (Senn. in house). Many of the low end one are from China, as they are OEM'ed by Foxter's manufacturing plant in China.

Jan 17, 2008 at 1:01 PM Post #8 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by ClieOS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Most of the high end one are from Ireland (Senn. in house). Many of the low end one are from China, as they are OEM'ed by Foxter's manufacturing plant in China.

You mean Foster (aka Fostex), in Japan. Not china.

Jan 17, 2008 at 1:05 PM Post #9 of 36
The plant in Ireland does all of the high end products. It is located in Tullamore and was established in 1990. They call their headphone busines Sennheiser Consumer Electronics and they opened a second "Centre of Excellence" in Singapore last year to focus on the design and development and sourcing of the higher volume products

Jan 17, 2008 at 2:26 PM Post #11 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by ericj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You mean Foster (aka Fostex), in Japan. Not china.

You are right, I mean 'Foster', but not in Japan. I actually do mean that they have a (and only one to my knowledge) manufacturing plant in China doing 100% exporting business. It is in 广州市番禺, or Guangzhou Shi(city) Pan Yu Qu(area). Linky. -> this is a well kept secret, and I found it (a report of headphone OEM business in China) when digging around the web. Beside the plant, Foster also have at least 2 other companies in China under the Foster trademark.

That plant basically used for OEM'ing most of the Sony, Panasonic, Sharp, Sennheiser, Aiwa, and Audio Technica earbuds/clip-on/big cans, and surprise, surprise, B&O A8 too. Ever wonder why the later stock ibud sounds better than its predecessor? Well, it is because it is OEM'ed in this plant using the same series of dynamic transducer used in Sennheiser MX400/500 series (and tweaked for Apple). BTW, want to know where those Made-in-China Sony E888 came from? Yes, it is from that plant.

Although I am not sure which (/all the) brands/models are manufactured in this plant, it is said that the majority of them do get shipped back to Japan for final packaging and the stamp of 'Made in Japan' - that includes some very high end of Audio Technica and Sony (and who-know-which-brand/model).

Jan 17, 2008 at 2:29 PM Post #12 of 36
How about my vintage HD420's? Any Senn historians or fellow/former owners of these cans go back in time 25 years to when they were made to find out, as mine were picked up second hand.

Jan 17, 2008 at 3:42 PM Post #14 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by BIGHMW /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How about my vintage HD420's? Any Senn historians or fellow/former owners of these cans go back in time 25 years to when they were made to find out, as mine were picked up second hand.

I have a pair of HD480's which are the successors of HD420s and they are marked as being "Made in Germany" so yours are probably made in Germany as well. Mine say Made in Germany on the headband behind the ear cup, very hard to see. Yours might as well.

Jan 17, 2008 at 4:36 PM Post #15 of 36
Ireland, China, and probably other countries as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back