Where can I buy FLAC files ripped from Vinyl?
Dec 10, 2015 at 4:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

KStreetSounds

New Head-Fier
While I don't think vinyl is inherently better than digital recording and CD's (technically it's worse), the reality is that most modern albums are released with a terrible dynamic range on CD, but a mastered with a much more acceptable dynamic range on vinyl. For example, Adele's 25 has an average DR of 5 on the CD, but 11 on the Vinyl (source: http://dr.loudness-war.info/).

So, If I want a digital copy of the album (at 44.1/16 or better) but mastered with the higher dynamic range, I have to rip it myself from vinyl? Is there anyplace that has already done this with premium equipment and will just sell me the FLAC files?

Thanks.

Dec 10, 2015 at 7:33 PM Post #2 of 7
Dec 11, 2015 at 1:33 PM Post #3 of 7
I really honestly suggest getting a turntable, phono stage and AD/DA unit  (or an AD/DA with a phono stage built in) to make your own vinyl rips.

the reason i say this is even if you get flac vinyl rips, they could be done on a POS turntable with a built in usb sound card and awful cartridge... your rips will sound miserable and full of noise & warble.

that said you can get a nice turntable on craigslist for not even $100, spend a bit on the gear to record it yourself, then just buy the vinyls and make the rips. then you can keep the vinyl, or sell it :wink:

Jan 1, 2016 at 12:53 PM Post #4 of 7
The best repositories of vinyl rips are those found on private trackers.

Jan 2, 2016 at 1:54 PM Post #6 of 7

Or pirate trackers :wink:

I was trying to keep it nudge-nudge-wink-wink and not say that word...

But in the case of vinyl rips that never made it to CD or are out of print, or in some cases are in the public domain, it may not actually be piracy.

Jan 8, 2016 at 4:37 PM Post #7 of 7
if you are paying for someone's vinyl rip , you are probably a sucker 
rolleyes.gif

there are many great rippers out there who are doing it for free , for the love of music and ask for nothing in return

ok sometimes they may ask a donation to repair a broken stylus etc , but this is not really 'asking for money'

thank god for all these holy people/scientists

Users who are viewing this thread

Back