Where can I find a good vinyl player?
Jul 31, 2009 at 7:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

pevsfreedom

100+ Head-Fier
I know vinyl player is probably a really lame thing to call it, I don't know the real name for them
smily_headphones1.gif

But where can I find them? I have a bunch of vinyl laying around and nothing to play them with! I want something good that I can plug my headphones into if I want, but I'm not rich!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 31, 2009 at 7:50 PM Post #2 of 12
You're looking for a turntable or record player.

How much are you looking to spend? Are you willing to buy used? Do you have a phono preamp?

If you want to browse a variety of used ones, go look through the listings at Audiogon. You'll see all the major brands represented.

Jul 31, 2009 at 8:03 PM Post #4 of 12
Local hifi store maybe?
Some more information may be useful:
* Used or new?
* Budget?
* Where are you located?
* Prepared to buy blind?

Jul 31, 2009 at 8:27 PM Post #5 of 12
Used is fine, budget would preferably be around 50-100, nothing fancy, just something to play my vinyl's with, I'm located in the LA area, and not sure what you mean by "buy blind" but as long as it's something that works I'm fine, I'm new to this if you can't tell!
smily_headphones1.gif

I don't even know what a phono preamp is.

Jul 31, 2009 at 8:34 PM Post #6 of 12
I see. Then I do not think I am of much further help. $50-100 is not a lot, but may be possible to find one..
With "buying blind" I mean buying without auditioning up front.

Craigslist, eBay maybe?

Jul 31, 2009 at 8:35 PM Post #7 of 12
I assume youre willing to get a very good one since you are posting in the high end forum... nowadays you can get good internet deals, but I recommend you find hifi stores in your area and audition them, turntables are very distinct sounding, it takes some time to find the right one...
Turntables, cartridges, preamps, clamps, platters, speed controllers.... Analogue requires patience more than any other component, that is if you want to get it right

Jul 31, 2009 at 8:36 PM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I see. Then I do not think I am of much further help. $50-100 is not a lot, but may be possible to find one..
With "buying blind" I mean buying without auditioning up front.

Craigslist, eBay maybe?

Yeah sorry, like I said, nothing fancy, I'm not entirely sure I'm in the correct forum because my budget isn't that high
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by GuyDebord /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I assume youre willing to get a very good one since you are posting in the high end forum... nowadays you can get good internet deals, but I recommend you find hifi stores in your area and audition them, turntables are very distinct sounding, it takes some time to find the right one...
Turntables, cartridges, preamps, clamps, platters, speed controllers.... Analogue requires patience more than any other component, that is if you want to get it right

Well now i'm sure I'm in the wrong forum.

Jul 31, 2009 at 8:38 PM Post #9 of 12
ohh, just read your budget... go to the vinyl asylum forum:
Vinyl Asylum
they can help you more, even with youre budget, which is super low.....
good luck,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back