Where do I go from here? I already have a huge collection. Feeling lost.
May 11, 2023 at 8:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

Thenewbie76

100+ Head-Fier
Hello guys,

I don't really know what to look for now. I have the Audeze LCD2F, Hifiman Edition XV2, Hifiman TH900 MK2, Sony MDR Z1R, HD 600, ZMF Aeolus, AKG 7XX, Campfire Audio Cascade. I tend to dislike neutral, analytical or bright headphones. As you can tell from my current line up is very fun, warm, V-Shaped sound signatures.

Should I maybe change my amp? I've been using the Drop THX 789 for years. Maybe get a tube amp? The only tube amp I have is the Bravo Audio V2. I tend to stand away from the Tube amps because most of them tend to be gigantic size and I can't find space on my table.

I'm just sort of lost in where to direct this hobby of mine. Don't get me wrong, I still LOVE listening to music, I still love using these headphones whenever I have the chance. but, I kinda want to try something new that would 'WOW' me.

May 11, 2023 at 9:20 PM Post #2 of 32
Try a different direction like IEMs which the 3.5mm jack on your amp could handle really well on low gain. Just got the Truthear Zero with a Topping e50 on optical and Topping l30ii and the silent noise floor is amazing. The 7hz Timeless is a great planar, but the Zero is Harman curve tuned and more fun and musical.

May 11, 2023 at 9:23 PM Post #3 of 32
What else have you heard that you haven't owned but liked?

May 11, 2023 at 9:43 PM Post #4 of 32
Hello guys,

I don't really know what to look for now. I have the Audeze LCD2F, Hifiman Edition XV2, Hifiman TH900 MK2, Sony MDR Z1R, HD 600, ZMF Aeolus, AKG 7XX, Campfire Audio Cascade. I tend to dislike neutral, analytical or bright headphones. As you can tell from my current line up is very fun, warm, V-Shaped sound signatures.

Should I maybe change my amp? I've been using the Drop THX 789 for years. Maybe get a tube amp? The only tube amp I have is the Bravo Audio V2. I tend to stand away from the Tube amps because most of them tend to be gigantic size and I can't find space on my table.

I'm just sort of lost in where to direct this hobby of mine. Don't get me wrong, I still LOVE listening to music, I still love using these headphones whenever I have the chance. but, I kinda want to try something new that would 'WOW' me.

Tubes amp are a lot of fun with tube rolling ect. I would suggest looking into an inexpensive hybrid tube amp to start. I am considering selling me Xduoo TA 20 with 4.4 mm to xlr cables with a few extra tubes if interested. It a nice small balance tube amp that sounds great.

May 11, 2023 at 9:58 PM Post #5 of 32
Hello guys,

You have a pretty good selection of headphones, but I would look at adding an amp. Something warm or interesting. My favourite amps were both bought used as they were very expensive new.
IFi Pro iCAN (Replaced by the iFi Pro iCAN Signature). Tons of power and you will use bass boost on Everything, except the Cascades. The 3D feature is useful with planars.
Could look at cheaper models and get similar functions.

Violectric V220 is discontinued and was a stripped down V281. The new equivalents would be V202/V222. Not as warm as the old stuff.
Used, you could look at V200/V220 and V280/V281.

Tube wise, I have been staying economical. Right now I have the Schiit Valhalla 2 (great clarity) and the Little Dot MK9 (much tubier).

If you are feeling flush, you could check out the Icon Audio HP8 MKII or maybe a Quicksilver amp?

May 11, 2023 at 10:04 PM Post #6 of 32
My initial thought is sell most of your headphones and consolidate the cash into one nice pair. Maybe a higher end ZMF, Meze Empyreans, or Focal Radiance?

I also like @Shane D recommendation for the Quicksilver HPA. That is on my shortlist currently.

May 11, 2023 at 10:14 PM Post #7 of 32
My initial thought is sell most of your headphones and consolidate the cash into one nice pair. Maybe a higher end ZMF, Meze Empyreans, or Focal Radiance?

I also like @Shane D recommendation for the Quicksilver HPA. That is on my shortlist currently.
I thought about that, but he already has some high end 'phones.

I would LOVE to try the Empyreans!!

I have the Radiance and it is a very nice, balanced closed back. Nice Ying to the Cascades Yang.

I don't think the 789 is doing his collection justice at all. I would spend the most that I could afford on a great amp.

May 11, 2023 at 11:40 PM Post #8 of 32
Try a different direction like IEMs which the 3.5mm jack on your amp could handle really well on low gain. Just got the Truthear Zero with a Topping e50 on optical and Topping l30ii and the silent noise floor is amazing. The 7hz Timeless is a great planar, but the Zero is Harman curve tuned and more fun and musical.
I have 1 IEM, the JH Audio 13v2 customs, but I will look into both of them. Maybe I should get more IEMs. The only other IEMs I've liked were the Campfire Andromeda and something from Ultimate ears if I recall back in 2019.

May 11, 2023 at 11:42 PM Post #9 of 32
Tubes amp are a lot of fun with tube rolling ect. I would suggest looking into an inexpensive hybrid tube amp to start. I am considering selling me Xduoo TA 20 with 4.4 mm to xlr cables with a few extra tubes if interested. It a nice small balance tube amp that sounds great.
Hmm, I've seen about this, it looks huge ish, but I'll keep looking into it. Are there any other tube amps you would recommend? Are the Schiit tube amps good?

May 11, 2023 at 11:54 PM Post #10 of 32
@Shane D @XMarsX Thank you for the suggestions. Honestly, I might start trying to sell my lesser-used headphones and buy a more premium headphone. I have not tried any top-of-the-line headphones from Hifiman, Audeze (like the LCD5), or ZMF. I will try out the Focals, and Meze Empyrean, I have not heard of either of their sound signatures so this will be interesting.

Also @Shane D I'll look into those tube amps. However, for the solid-state amps, are there any other good budget options, maybe around $500? Is the Monolith Monoprice 887 good as well?

Also, is my SMSL SU-8 a good DAC now?

May 12, 2023 at 12:14 AM Post #12 of 32
Honestly, can't remember. It's been like 3 years+ since I dabbled in this hobby. The only thing I've heard and liked but did not buy was the Campfire Andromedas. I have not tried any top of the line headphones though, like I'm talking $4,000 and up.
I've owned or heard most of your headphones. Personally, I'd look into the Emu Teak or Denon D7200.

For tube amps, get a Bottlehead Crack, pair it with the HD600 and be done.

May 12, 2023 at 12:22 AM Post #13 of 32
My humble two cents:

I went through an attempt to slim-down my gear and I greatly reduced my headphone collection, amps, dacs, cables, daps, etc. I tried to adopt a philosophy of "one of each", meaning, 1x SET, 1x solid state, 1x open dynamic, 1x closed dynamic, etc.

Of course with this hobby, it's hard for me to stick to it, but I'm in a much better position, gear-hoarding-wise, than I was a few years ago. Along with your want to explore things like new amps, you might also consider selling off some of your headphone collection. This frees up some funds to explore new stuff, as well as gives you a reason to fill out the rest of your setup with a diverse collection so you're not left wanting.

May 12, 2023 at 4:08 AM Post #14 of 32
Just my 2¢ 🪙 too.

Like the previous poster. I think you should re-evaluate what you really like/want. Instead of hitting everything/always comes to mind (and going nowhere).

Once identified, as he said, you can have the opportunity to scale down your inventory, use the money to move up the quality of your equipment: and enjoy more. With that also, you would be able to have less time testing your equipments (w/ the same tracks on and on) and enjoy/explore more music .

Last edited:
May 12, 2023 at 8:04 AM Post #15 of 32
I've owned or heard most of your headphones. Personally, I'd look into the Emu Teak or Denon D7200.

For tube amps, get a Bottlehead Crack, pair it with the HD600 and be done.
To be honest, at one point I did consider buying one of the Denon or Emu Teak headphones. After searching some more I just decided on buying the Fostex TH900 MK2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back