Where does the iPod 5G rank in 2012?
Jun 12, 2012 at 10:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

Perplexed

Head-Fier
So I bought me a 5G iPod, and due to weird circumstances with Amazon and eBay I'm now in possession of both a 30GB and 60GB. 
Loving them both, but that's the issue - I can't decide whether to keep one, and if so, which one to keep.. :\

Obviously when the Video came out it was darn epic, but how does it hold up nowadays? I bought mine for £65 in completely mint condition, and I'm wondering if that was a waste and I should have just gone for a new 7G classic or some alternative brand player from Sony or something?

All thoughts are most graciously welcome:

Jun 12, 2012 at 11:55 AM Post #4 of 32
well if your happy, dont upgrade.
the 7G doesnt have the warm treble rolled off sig of the 5G, and has more storage, i prefer the 7G

Jun 12, 2012 at 12:01 PM Post #5 of 32
You prefer the 7G sound sig? You've got the be the only person I've seen saying that! :)
Tbh I don't even think I can tell the difference between my iPod with ALAC, compared to my laptop with 192kbps MP3s. I just like to think that it's better... stupid I know.

Jun 12, 2012 at 12:57 PM Post #6 of 32
there are a few people that agree with me actually, and its mainly because of wolson fanboys that the 5G gets so much attention. the 7G is tecnically better, and i prefer the ruler flat frequency response to the treble roll off of the 5G

Jun 12, 2012 at 12:58 PM Post #7 of 32
Don't bother upgrading then. Just know if you ever are able to notice the difference, you will be able to iMod or diyMod your iPod Video and get better quality since it's a 5G. I personally have own the 5G,6G, and 7G iPod's and they are all different. I don't remember the sound of the 6G that much as it was before i was into Audio, but the 5G is warmer for sure, and less analytical. The 7th gen is nice, just not as smooth and warm as the 5th gen. I like both for different listening sessions. Working on getting an iMod now though, gonna be fun.
Quote:
You prefer the 7G sound sig? You've got the be the only person I've seen saying that! :)
Tbh I don't even think I can tell the difference between my iPod with ALAC, compared to my laptop with 192kbps MP3s. I just like to think that it's better... stupid I know.

Jun 12, 2012 at 1:32 PM Post #8 of 32
Quote:
Don't bother upgrading then. Just know if you ever are able to notice the difference, you will be able to iMod or diyMod your iPod Video and get better quality since it's a 5G. I personally have own the 5G,6G, and 7G iPod's and they are all different. I don't remember the sound of the 6G that much as it was before i was into Audio, but the 5G is warmer for sure, and less analytical. The 7th gen is nice, just not as smooth and warm as the 5th gen. I like both for different listening sessions. Working on getting an iMod now though, gonna be fun.

Quote:
there are a few people that agree with me actually, and its mainly because of wolson fanboys that the 5G gets so much attention. the 7G is tecnically better, and i prefer the ruler flat frequency response to the treble roll off of the 5G

Cheers for the advice. I think I might go to an Apple store / nick a Classic off a friend, and then compare them side by side to see. I can't see myself noticing a different tbh :)
You don't think I should just sell the iPods and go for something more 'this decade'? :) How do players like the Sony S765 (and other walkmans), the built in players on phones like the GSII or HTC Sensation, etc. compare to the iPod?

Jun 12, 2012 at 1:58 PM Post #9 of 32
I like almost every iPod over my HTC Sensation as a source, though I avoid using my Sensation as a source as often as possible, so i havent even done a comparison since I got more higher-end gear to listen through. GS2 might be good, got a wolfson DAC chip in it and my friend likes his. The Voodoo mod thing is wonderful for it, i wish i had that kind of customization. If you ever use an amp with a LOD from the iPods and do a comparison, you'll notice it quite quickly. Using the LOD from the bottom of the iPods bypasses parts of the internal amp, giving you a better signal. The differences between the 7th gen and 5th gen are clear once you do this, at least to me, it's clear anyways, but i have friends that notice the difference when i use the LOD to my car stereo for both and switch between them on the same song.
Quote:
Cheers for the advice. I think I might go to an Apple store / nick a Classic off a friend, and then compare them side by side to see. I can't see myself noticing a different tbh :)
You don't think I should just sell the iPods and go for something more 'this decade'? :) How do players like the Sony S765 (and other walkmans), the built in players on phones like the GSII or HTC Sensation, etc. compare to the iPod?

Jun 12, 2012 at 6:15 PM Post #10 of 32
Quote:

Quote:

Exactly, there are a lot of people who prefer the 7th over the 5/5.5g. I think there's a misconception in regards to the two classics that came after the 5.5g(better known as the 6th and 6.5g). After the 5.5g, the ipod took a step back in terms of sound quality. I found both the headphone out and lineout of the 6/6.5 to be inferior to the 5.5g. But I don't think it really had anything to do with wolfson vs CL. There's so much that goes into the final sound than what dac chip is used. With that said, I prefer the 7g over all the ipods. It doesn't suffer from the treble roll off of the 5.5g, and also the anemic bass response of the 5.5g. I find the 5.5g smoother sounding(prob because of the roll off). But the 7th is more transparent, has greater extension at both ends, and more livelier sounding. I also find the lineout to be on par if not better than a modded 5.5g.

Jun 12, 2012 at 6:52 PM Post #11 of 32
I prefer the 7G myself,...but there's nothing wrong with the 5.5G. Some Rockbox it,...some prefer it raw!!!

Jun 13, 2012 at 3:58 AM Post #13 of 32
You can also rockbox a 7G like me. Then it is amazing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back