Where to go after DT990
Aug 11, 2020 at 5:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

tozz

New Head-Fier
So, I'm looking to go somewhere after my DT990 600ohm, I love some parts of them (vocals, comfort) but I would like a little bit more sound stage and some more depth.
Essentially I only listen to female vocals in the pop and singer songwriter genre (at least 95% of my music consumption).

Some headphones I've owned and tested, my taste might be a bit out there..
Sennheiser HD650, I find them utterly boring.
Sennheiser HD660, a lot more enjoyable than HD650 but compared to the DT990 it's almost as they have a veil in front of the vocals, it sounds muted and disconnected.
Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80ohm, enjoyable but nothing special.
Audeze LCD-2, sounded great but about as comfortable as wearing a pair of concrete blocks on my head 😅

Price range $500-$1000, if it sounds great when testing I could go higher.

Currently running a Magni Heresy with Modi 3, no plans to upgrade.

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2020 at 11:11 AM Post #3 of 4
Since you like the DT 990 and do not like the muffled Sennheiser sound, the Beyerdynamic DT 1990 Pro would seem an obvious upgrade. More detailed across the board, livelier treble, with an extra octave of bass vs. the HD 650.

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2020 at 1:40 PM Post #4 of 4
Since you like the DT 990 and do not like the muffled Sennheiser sound, the Beyerdynamic DT 1990 Pro would seem an obvious upgrade. More detailed across the board, livelier treble, with an extra octave of bass vs. the HD 650.
The DT 1990 Pro has popped up on multiple occasions so it's definitely on the list, no open stores (thanks Covid) that I would like to spend that amount of money in has them though. But would you say they resemble the very clear vocals of the DT 990 or have it been dialed back a bit?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back