Which budget headphone is best for listening across different varieties of music?
Dec 4, 2013 at 4:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

laserfart

New Head-Fier
Looking for a good over-ear phone for listening to music ranging from EDM to free form jazz. 
Should I look for one with apparently a more neutral configuration like KNS6400 or Shure SHR440?
Don't want to spend much more than $100.

Dec 4, 2013 at 5:45 PM Post #2 of 4
  Looking for a good over-ear phone for listening to music ranging from EDM to free form jazz. 
Should I look for one with apparently a more neutral configuration like KNS6400 or Shure SHR440?
Don't want to spend much more than $100.

Check out the new JVC HA-S680, $81 on eBay.

Dec 4, 2013 at 7:27 PM Post #4 of 4
If you are interested in closed headphones, the first introduction to good audio for me was the M50s. The red versions are a just a dollar over $100:

http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-ATHM50RD-Pro-Headphones/dp/B00B0FR2QO

They aren't amazing, but for the price handle every type of music well. One reason why I also mention them is that they have enough bass to handle EDM. A lot of headphones are good for most genres but fall for EDM because of the lack of bass. The coiled cable is also nice and they fold up so you can use them at home and on the go. The build quality is top notch too so you can hold onto them for a while. their resellability(sp?) is nice too (I sold mine recently for $85). Again this is a personal recommendation, others aren't as high on the M50s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back