Which 'Closed' Cans produce the least amount of sound in the $100-$250 range?
Jan 24, 2013 at 4:53 PM Post #17 of 22
Quote:
Comparing the bass (40-200 Hz), mids (200-1 kHz) and treble (6 kHz-16 kHz):

nuff said.

You picked like, the two worst headphones to compare it against. Why not compare it against other headphones in the same general price range and form factor?

It's funny looking at this graph, because no one considers the SRH840 to be overly bassy at all. Anything below 50Hz is generally considered subbass, and midbass is usually where "bloat" comes from. That said, I wouldn't take the DT770/80 over many headphones in its stock form, but the drivers have a lot of potential. They're easy to mod, too.

Jan 25, 2013 at 7:39 AM Post #18 of 22
Thanks for all of the help you guys! I ended up pulling the trigger and getting the DT770/'250' Brand new
off eBay. The majority of sellers had it close to $300 + shipping but i managed to get it for $225. The seller is legit, at least based on his overall
near perfect seller score and amount of items he's sold. I'm a complete noob when it comes to this audio tech talk, so bare with me. Yet if this were a Horror movie or Retro Nintendo based discussion than things would defintily be a bit different haha. I'll have these cans close to around 2 weeks and I'll post my noobish impressions about how well they isolate, leak sound and overall compare to Sennheisers dissapointing 'boxed in' uncomfortable ear clamping 'closed' HD380's which DO leak next to no sound, and the amazingly' wonderful yet unbearable(from a sound leakage perspective) HD595's. XD

I didn't want to risk getting the DT770 '80's' just in case....So i spend the extra $80+ and went for the 250's just be on the safe side. Even thoug there's been debate on how much better the 250's perform, i'd still rather take that smaller(Or if they really are a signicant upgrade) and 'different' leap in Sound quality again just to be on the safe side. Previously, as in years ago i had the Sennheiser HD555's, but decided to upgrade since they were completely cracked and overall in pretty rough shape, to the HD595's basically as a replacement. I still would of been perfectly happy(aside from the sound leak) with the HD555's regardless since they do sound simular. if anything, the HD595's sound like they produce crisper high's and a bit more bass. There's a noticable difference, but it's not stagering or anything but enough to make the experience seem a bit richer and more grand.

Feb 4, 2013 at 5:15 PM Post #19 of 22
Just got my DT770/250's in the mail today!
Right off the bat, i was a bit dissapointed. I hooked them up to my PC Tower just for kicks and listened to some music and did comparisons between it and the Sennheiser HD595's. Now, the DT770's sound stage was flat, eveything felt subduedand there wasn't any excitement or punch that was 'found' in the Sennheiser HD595's. However....When you hook the DT770/250's up to a good receiver it's a whole different ball game. They sound amazing!... First of all, like i mentioned previously, i was extremely dissapointed with my previous pair of closed sennheiser cans,they sounded very boxed in and artificial and killed my ears/head after 20 minutes of use. The DT770's thankfully sound pretty darn natural and don't have that nasty box in sound to them at all, plus they're very very comfortable. They're phenomenal in terms of isolation and
VERY minimal at sound leakage. An enourmous improvement over my HD595's in terms of that....I can finally game
without worrying that i'm distracting others, since my HD595's pierced through the walls, you name it. XP

The SFX when gaming sound more pronounced, crisper and striking. Mind you, i could probably achieve simular results with my senny's if i increase the trebble on my receiver. However my Sennheisers are a bit superior with Bass. Overall, the DTS's sound 'alright' when you're using an I-pod or computer for example, but when you hook it up to a receiver that can get the most out of them they sound fantastic. They sound like a completey different set of cans(far superior, mind you) when doing so.

Feb 4, 2013 at 5:26 PM Post #20 of 22
Glad you like them.  Enjoy!  
size]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back