Which headphone to choose?
Feb 16, 2021 at 2:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Slazyel

100+ Head-Fier
Hi guys,

I live outside US so the prices are a bit different here. I am in search for a headphone that i can use alone for years. I mainly listen to rock and metal songs and play games, so it can be considered.
I have a Topping L30/E30 combo too.
I have to admit i'm leaning towards the HD660s.

So, considering what i've said and a bit of the prices below, which one would you recommend?

All with shipping included.
HD 660S for $500
HD 650 for $480
HD 600 for $420
HD 560S for $235
HD 800S for $1250 ~ $1385 (depends)

Also some other brands:
Hifiman Sundara for $420
HarmonicDyne Zeus for $330
GoldPlanar GL2000 (double) for $600

Feb 16, 2021 at 3:40 PM Post #2 of 8
What is your budget and what sound signature do you prefer? You have both the HD650 and HD800 listed. Very, very different sounding headphones.

Feb 16, 2021 at 4:07 PM Post #3 of 8
My vote would be for the GL2000 or Sundara given those prices, but I also prefer planars over dynamics as a rule (yet my current top two headphones are dynamics - there are exceptions!) and am not a big fan of Sennheiser's 600 series. At the same time I realize this puts me in the minority.

Edit: I think most would agree the HD800S isn't suitable for rock and metal, in most cases. It's much more a classical / jazz headphone, in my understanding. You might be able to EQ it to where you want, and the positional audio for games is supposed to be very good, but there are probably better options.

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2021 at 4:23 PM Post #4 of 8
What is your budget and what sound signature do you prefer? You have both the HD650 and HD800 listed. Very, very different sounding headphones.
My budget for now is $500~$600, but if the 800s is sooo much better, i would wait some time to purchase it instead.

So, i'm a newbie in the audiophile world. I dont know exactly what to say about sound signature. I'm looking for something that works the best for both Rock/Metal songs and for Gaming. Also, something that would combine great with my topping l30/e30 combo. Longevity would be something big for me too.

Feb 16, 2021 at 4:34 PM Post #5 of 8
Man.... with your gear I can't help but think of the HD650. Maybe 660s. The 650 is a great all arounder. I worry about the other cans maybe having a little too much sizzle especially the 800s. The 650 never got fatiguing no matter what metal I've ever thrown at it and it's resolution and imaging would be great for gaming. Delivers a nice impactful crunch but its smooth nature helps with the upper registries. My daughter is a metal head/gamer and she uses the HD58x. The 58x is another option. A little more lively with better dynamics and bass response. Especially sub bass.

Cheers.

Feb 16, 2021 at 4:48 PM Post #6 of 8
I think most would agree the HD800S isn't suitable for rock and metal, in most cases. It's much more a classical / jazz headphone, in my understanding.
I would tend to agree with this statement, though I have come across a few people here and there who like it for rock and metal. It sounds much too thin to my ears for rock.
My budget for now is $500~$600, but if the 800s is sooo much better, i would wait some time to purchase it instead.

So, i'm a newbie in the audiophile world. I dont know exactly what to say about sound signature. I'm looking for something that works the best for both Rock/Metal songs and for Gaming. Also, something that would combine great with my topping l30/e30 combo. Longevity would be something big for me too.

Allow me to say I have never heard your amp/DAC combo, so the following suggestions are not necessarily a good (or bad) match for your system. Rather these are generally good HPs for the genres you like. I too listen to a lot of the same stuff as you.

ZMF Atticus (used)
Audeze LCD2
HiFiman HE500 (used)

Of these three Id tend to suggest the ZMF Atticus. Its very, very good for rock and many (but not all) metal sub-genres. It has excellent mids, incredible midbass slam, and has a warm sound signature...great for cranking it up.
ZMF just released a gaming cable, mic included, that works with all ZMF headphones, and perhaps Audeze too.
Finally ZMF has lifetime warranty on drivers. However if buying used I do not think that warranty transfers.

Audeze LCD2 is darkish, with great sub bass. Didnt like the mids and they arent super comfy.

HE500 is like the planar HD650. Excellent mids, great midbass. However its discontinued and reliability issues are a frequent complaint with Hifiman gear.

Grados are popular with rock fans. I do enjoy their sound, but very uncomfortable for me.

HD650 is good for rock. Too slow for most metal genres.

Theyre are others of course but those the ones Ive had experience with.

My go to metal and rock headphones are the ZMF Verite closed ($$$$$), AKG K240 Sextett (super hard to drive) and ATH AD2000 (non-X version) insane clamp and rarer than hen's teeth.

Feb 16, 2021 at 10:35 PM Post #7 of 8
Save some money and grab the 58X. I've owned all 4 flavors, and the 58X plays better with those genres imo. I don't like highly technical and resolving cans with those genres, especially considering a lot of it is poorly recorded. The 58X sounds awesome for your purposes, though it won't be the best for gaming.

Feb 17, 2021 at 10:29 AM Post #8 of 8
As a metal head I love my ZMF Atticus and Aeolus and would highly recommend them. I also really enjoy my HD6XX for rock and metal. The HD6XX are basically the same as the HD650. For your budget I would go with HD650.
Also I agree with everyone else, with your taste in music I wouldn't get the HD800s. Personally I don't find them fun. But they do make a great gaming headphone with their amazing soundstage and imagining.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back