Which headphones do you listen to for movies?
Sep 8, 2014 at 11:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

MichaelJames99

100+ Head-Fier
Wanted to throw this question out...

So which headphones and amps do you use to listen to movies?

Any setup that really blows your mind? Like you feel you are really there or find yourself looking over your shoulder to see if the sound is in your house or in the movie?

Movies and music have a lot in common.  So do movies and gaming.  But movies also have a need (maybe even a reliance) for strong positional cues, quickness of panning, dialog that has to be crystal clear and not "tinny", open soundstage that gives correct distances in a 360 degree sphere around your head, etc..

Sep 8, 2014 at 2:47 PM Post #2 of 8
Well, I only have my CALs and to be honest the only headphones I have compared them to are a pair of Koss KSC75... but anyways.

Just wanted to point out that in my experience the source and the equalization have a bigger impact on the result. For instance, when I watch a movie with my CALs plugged to my desktop (Asus P8Z68 V-pro on-board audio) with the equalization of the realtek's control center set to "powerful" I am generally wowed (even more with music than with movies), and in the other hand when i plug these very same headphones in my HP Pavilion Dv7 laptop with IDT HD sound manager, even when i try to copy the realtek settings, it just sound underwhelming when compared to my desktop.

That said, since i joined these forums several years ago, the headphones that I have consistently been recommended as fun headphones that are good for movies (and music, and games) are the Beyerdynamic DT 150.

Sep 8, 2014 at 3:10 PM Post #3 of 8
For movies, I have used:
Grado RS1 (10 years old): Not very Dynamic, not much soundstage, they sound like good stereo headphones.
Hifiman HE-400: Smaller soundstage (no matter what I use.... using a Recon3D external USB unit or Razer or premixed movie tracks) great bass though and highs can strain your ears sometimes. Strong on music.
AKG 712'w: Open, airy, good soundstage depth, decent immersion. (best so far but still trying out headphones), strong on music, good on movies.
KEF M500: Not good for movies, great for music. Stylish.

Amps:
Musical Fidelity X-Can v2 (10 years old) tube amp
Schiit Asguard 2 tube amp (brand new still breaking in)

Surround:
Razer on laptop
Premixed movie clips on laptop (5.1 and 7.1)
Recon3D external USB

External DAC:
none (although the laptop and Rccon3D are using their internal DACs)

Laptop:

ASUS Zenbook UX51VZ-XB71 2880 x 1620 screen resolution

Nothing is really blowing me away.....

Sep 9, 2014 at 1:05 AM Post #4 of 8
I use a bassport modded akg k701 out of my denon receiver and I am very happy with it.
Comfort is important when watching a movie. The k701 is light, not warm and my ears do not touch the driver nor the pads in any way. The sound of the k701 is perfect for movies imo with a clear and neutral response, nothing is missing and nothing is emphasized, and the soundstage is expansive.
Some may think a headphone should deliver extra bass when used for movies, I know I used to, but I don't think this is right anymore. Sure it is "fun" to be surprised with big bass in action movies and the likes, but it is not important in any way for the experience. Big bass actually adds to listeners fatique, and you do not want that from a headphone when watching a movie, not at all. In movies where the presentation of dialog is important, which is about 99,9% in my case, you do not want big bass and rumbling voices, you want clear and present voices where every subtle detail in the actors performance is displayed.
The comfortable, neutral and all frequency capable headphone is the long term winner here and the bassport modded akg k701 is such a headphone.

Sep 9, 2014 at 8:47 AM Post #6 of 8

How does the bass modded k703 compare to the AKG712 stock?

Sep 9, 2014 at 4:23 PM Post #7 of 8
Anyone else have headphones they really like for  movies?

Sep 10, 2014 at 1:34 AM Post #8 of 8
Ultrasone Pro2500
k701smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back