Which inexpensive amp for driving AKG K702 really well? Please help me choose....
Jun 8, 2010 at 10:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

daltonlanny

Headphoneus Supremus
Hello,
Due to my current budget, I am searching for a very inexpensive solid-state amp to drive mainly my AKG K702 headphones, but also my Sennheiser HD650's as well from time to time.
I want the amp to bring out the bass with great control and authority on my 702's, yet at the same time avoid edginess, excessive brightness and thinness, and have a good soundstage, and excellent detail retrieval.
I would also like it to have really good dynamics and drive, if possible. In other words, a GOOD MATCH sonically with the AKG K702's sonic signature.
I realize that one of these amps will not compete with higher priced units, but right now I don't care, I just want a decent low priced temporary amp to drive the 702's with, that will blow away the headphone jacks on my audio equipment.
I want the amp to show me some of the abilities these headphones possess, that headphone jacks do not.
My headphone jacks basically suck with these cans...or is it the cans suck with the headphone jacks! lol.
But, I know how impressive they can sound with the right amp! My friend has a Burson HA-160, and these headphones sound absolutely glorious with it!
Right now I have narrowed it down to:
1. A used Headroom Micro Amp.
2. Musical Fidelity V-Can.
3. Creek OBH-11.
4. Rega Ear
5. Any other inexpensive recommendations?
Thanks for your recommendations and advice!

Jun 8, 2010 at 10:12 AM Post #2 of 8
Wow.  You're asking a lot!
:)

I would recommend a good used Headroom Home Amp (older version) which I've seen for around $350.  Even though it's around 8-10 years old, it should provide enough 'juice' to power your AKGs and Senns properly.

My two cents.

Good luck!

CJ
:)

Jun 8, 2010 at 4:12 PM Post #3 of 8
Thanks CJ,
Yeah, I kind of have a hunch as well that a good used Headroom amp might be my best bet.
I appreciate any and all responses.

Jun 10, 2010 at 9:39 AM Post #4 of 8

Quote:
Hello,
Due to my current budget, I am searching for a very inexpensive solid-state amp to drive mainly my AKG K702 headphones, but also my Sennheiser HD650's as well from time to time.
I want the amp to bring out the bass with great control and authority on my 702's, yet at the same time avoid edginess, excessive brightness and thinness, and have a good soundstage, and excellent detail retrieval.
I would also like it to have really good dynamics and drive, if possible. In other words, a GOOD MATCH sonically with the AKG K702's sonic signature.
I realize that one of these amps will not compete with higher priced units, but right now I don't care, I just want a decent low priced temporary amp to drive the 702's with, that will blow away the headphone jacks on my audio equipment.
I want the amp to show me some of the abilities these headphones possess, that headphone jacks do not.
My headphone jacks basically suck with these cans...or is it the cans suck with the headphone jacks! lol.
But, I know how impressive they can sound with the right amp! My friend has a Burson HA-160, and these headphones sound absolutely glorious with it!
Right now I have narrowed it down to:
1. A used Headroom Micro Amp.
2. Musical Fidelity V-Can.
3. Creek OBH-11.
4. Rega Ear
5. Any other inexpensive recommendations?
Thanks for your recommendations and advice!

Read the Matrix M Stage thread. 270.00 delivered

Jun 10, 2010 at 10:00 AM Post #5 of 8
Jun 10, 2010 at 11:06 AM Post #6 of 8
I'm with AmanGeorge on this one.  I have owned the K701 for two years and firmly believed it mated better with SS than tube until I had a revelation with this tube amp.  Our own Skylab ranked this amp highly in his vast amp experiences.

PS.  I noticed you own a HD650 also - I just finished a thorough comparison with the rest of my amps (5 total) and this remarkable tube amp won hands down, amongst my amps is Senns own reference BCL.

Jun 10, 2010 at 6:16 PM Post #8 of 8
Yes, I am slowly getting back on my feet.
I went through some hard financial times the last couple of years and had to sell most all of my headphone gear except a pair of Sennheiser HD650's.
I just received a pair of Audio-Technica ATH-M50's, and I am extremely impressed with them, except for a slight metallic signature in the upper mids/lower highs. Does this go away with time?
They do some things better than the 650's!
I also just received a pair of AKG K702's a couple of weeks back, and I am still looking for an amp to drive them with.
My CD players and receiver headphone jacks pretty much sound awful with the 702's.
Thanks again for your replies, and thanks Happy Camper for your Welcome Back. I appreciate it very much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back