Which of the following combinations would you go for the LCD-2s?
Jun 11, 2012 at 11:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

underhysteria

100+ Head-Fier
Currently considering an upgrade to my DAC-->Amp setup for my upcoming LCD2s. I dont have much cash to spare so im looking the most bang for the buck to maximize the potential of the audezes. I am torn between the Burson and Schitt since many have claimed that they pair well with the audeze. I am opened to any other recommendations as long as they provide improvements in the dynamics of the LCD-2s without altering its signature that much (a tad warmer is okay).

I am trying to keep the setup below 900 bucks..

Burson Setup

1) Nuforce UDAC-2  --> Burson HA-160 ( i would save alot if this setup works decently, the HA-160 would be a used set) 

2) Burson HA-160DS (~900USD)

Schiit Setup

1) Schitt Bifrost --> Schitt Lyr (~900USD)
2) Nuforce UDAC-2 --> ****t Lyr (~600USD)
3) Music Fidelity V-DAC mkII --> Schitt Lyr (~800USD)

Or should i go straight into a less costly dac/amp with either the yulong d100 or nuforce icon hdp? I do not mind if this bang for the buck setup provides a good deal of synergy with the audeze. 

Many thanks

Jun 11, 2012 at 12:02 PM Post #2 of 4
I'd also suggest throwing the Audiolab M-DAC into the mix, when I had the LCD-2's I ended up using the M-DAC's own headphone amp the majority of the time.

I wouldn't suggest going with you're second scenario, IMO a headphone like the LCD-2's should have the best source you can afford.

Also, if you have the space you could consider a vintage 70's amp or receiver, a decent one can typically be found well under $200, this would allow more money to be allocated to the source.

Jun 11, 2012 at 12:33 PM Post #3 of 4
So you're saying that the dac would have a heavier influence on the lcd-2s?

Jun 11, 2012 at 12:51 PM Post #4 of 4
I guess that's debatable, I come from more of a source first mentality so given a choice I'd be more inclined to pick an option that has a better source and compromise on the amp vs. compromising on the source to get a better amp. Given that a decent vintage receiver/amp gives great performance to price ratio that to me seems like the best budget conscious decision.

That said, something like the M-DAC which has a decent internal amp capable of driving the LCD-2's might be a good option as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back