Which one of these headphones would best fit for this type of music?
Aug 27, 2011 at 8:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Mirza

New Head-Fier
Hey im new to headphones in general but i have been doing A LOT of research because i am dedicated to buying some this weekend.

The headphones i have in mind are Sennheiser HD555 , ATH-M50's , Sennheiser HD 280 , Audio Technica AD700

Now i know some of these are open and closed but i really don't know the difference in how the sound quality would be in lets say these songs 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZeyTyh2mf4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkEhhmj1DHM

I really need to upgrade from my crappy apple in ear buds. Even after hearing my friends pair of like 10 dollar behringers the sound was so much better

All i am really looking for is which headphone out of those or if you have any suggestions of other headphones (try to stay under $150) 
Would sound best on those songs for example , im having real hard trouble deciding what would get the the best experience

Isolation does not matter to me one bit. 

Aug 27, 2011 at 9:09 PM Post #2 of 15
ath-m50

Aug 27, 2011 at 9:58 PM Post #5 of 15

Quote:
Ultrasone anything

otherwise the M50

watch some of those ultrasones, they can all of a sudden need a amp if you don't choose well.

Aug 28, 2011 at 10:15 AM Post #6 of 15
The Sony XB500s are really nice for bas, as are the XB700s, which have more low bass with less impact. Look up some of the bass phone threads search these two. They do alright straight from a computer or player, but get much better with a modest amp like of the Fiios or an EQ on the computer.

I had the M50s and I did not like them. The highs were a little metallic, and the bass was not good. Straight from a computer there was very little bass. I got the white box version, so you might want to try the black box, but I would steer clear. 

Aug 28, 2011 at 11:21 AM Post #7 of 15
I really like the punchyness of the XB500 in the 2nd song, not any bloated bass, visceral fast attack punch that doesn't bloat. I suppose that's due to the "drum & bass" style of it.

Bad quality in the video you linked to, this is more listenable http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrqQWq8mWGU

Aug 28, 2011 at 3:44 PM Post #8 of 15

Quote:
Hey im new to headphones in general but i have been doing A LOT of research because i am dedicated to buying some this weekend.

The headphones i have in mind are Sennheiser HD555 , ATH-M50's , Sennheiser HD 280 , Audio Technica AD700

Now i know some of these are open and closed but i really don't know the difference in how the sound quality would be in lets say these songs 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZeyTyh2mf4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkEhhmj1DHM

I really need to upgrade from my crappy apple in ear buds. Even after hearing my friends pair of like 10 dollar behringers the sound was so much better

All i am really looking for is which headphone out of those or if you have any suggestions of other headphones (try to stay under $150) 
Would sound best on those songs for example , im having real hard trouble deciding what would get the the best experience

Isolation does not matter to me one bit. 

Heya,

This headphone (HP541) and put these decals on them.

Well under budget. You'll be surprised with it's ability in bass, it's generous mids, decent sound stage for closed headphone, it's got good isolation, good build, compares directly to the M50, HFI 580, but for a lot less. Also, you can get a lot of different decals to make it look however you want, check that out too (just search hp541 decal on amazon, there's like 30+ of them and they're not expensive and they're replaceable). I would start with a headphone like this, because you'll be getting sound very similar to what headphones that cost three times as much, and more, sound like.

Very best,

Aug 28, 2011 at 4:41 PM Post #9 of 15

Quote:
Heya,

This headphone (HP541) and put these decals on them.

Well under budget. You'll be surprised with it's ability in bass, it's generous mids, decent sound stage for closed headphone, it's got good isolation, good build, compares directly to the M50, HFI 580, but for a lot less. Also, you can get a lot of different decals to make it look however you want, check that out too (just search hp541 decal on amazon, there's like 30+ of them and they're not expensive and they're replaceable). I would start with a headphone like this, because you'll be getting sound very similar to what headphones that cost three times as much, and more, sound like.

Very best,

Ill definently take that into consideration but , is there a big difference between these kickers and lets say the hfi 580's. is the extra $70 bucks worth it for hfi?

Aug 28, 2011 at 4:47 PM Post #10 of 15

Quote:
Ill definently take that into consideration but , is there a big difference between these kickers and lets say the hfi 580's. is the extra $70 bucks worth it for hfi?

Differences are relative. Unfortunately one man's opinion and another's will vary on this subject. I think any headphone with more mids being heard will essentially sound better, more full, because that's the bulk of the spectrum that we actually use (talking, activity, etc). A headphone that has recessed mids will typically just be bassy and treble-bright. If you can get a headphone that has generous mids but is still bassy, I'd call it a better overall headphone. From there it's all about refinement, comfort, style, sound stage, etc.

For example, you could try out a pair of HFI 580's and then try say, some HE-500's. Stark difference in price. They sound pretty different. But will it be worth the extra $870? That is relative to the listener.

So to answer your question. I don't think the HFI 580 is worth the extra $70, unless you listen to both headphones and simply prefer the HFI 580's sound signature & build more.

Very best,

Aug 28, 2011 at 7:20 PM Post #11 of 15

Quote:
Differences are relative. Unfortunately one man's opinion and another's will vary on this subject. I think any headphone with more mids being heard will essentially sound better, more full, because that's the bulk of the spectrum that we actually use (talking, activity, etc). A headphone that has recessed mids will typically just be bassy and treble-bright. If you can get a headphone that has generous mids but is still bassy, I'd call it a better overall headphone. From there it's all about refinement, comfort, style, sound stage, etc.

For example, you could try out a pair of HFI 580's and then try say, some HE-500's. Stark difference in price. They sound pretty different. But will it be worth the extra $870? That is relative to the listener.

So to answer your question. I don't think the HFI 580 is worth the extra $70, unless you listen to both headphones and simply prefer the HFI 580's sound signature & build more.

Very best

I sppreciate all you have helped me with so far but after finding a really cheap price of $130 for the sennheiser 598 i think that i will be going for those. Well coming from my crappy ipod in ear buds people are saying that the bass is not thumpy and hitting which i seem to enjoy and the apple in ear buds seem to deliver enough for my liking of the thumping. I see that you have the hd580 which i think are open ear if im correct but do you think that open ear headphones are really that lacking in bass , lol i kno wim a newb and this question is awkward but do they deliver more bass than the apple buds ,atleast do you think you do?

Aug 28, 2011 at 7:26 PM Post #12 of 15
^ just keep in mind while a good value is appealing (regarding the senns), you may be getting something that is entirely not what you're looking for.

Though yes anything is a huge upgrade from ipod earbuds. 
L3000.gif

Aug 28, 2011 at 7:39 PM Post #13 of 15
Samson SR850 with Fiio E11 are amazing(compared to HD555) and without AMPs they still sound great.

Aug 29, 2011 at 11:06 AM Post #15 of 15

Quote:
Overall im satisfied with my choice and for that price its a steal ^_^ im ready to experience my first REAL headphone 
beerchug.gif

You will be happy if you are coming from the Ibuds. Just be sure to get some kind of amp in the future. Fiio makes amps with great value. Ibasso is also good, though a bit more expensive. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back