Which one should i get? Superlux 668b or 681 evo?
Oct 17, 2018 at 12:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

BrutalFeather

New Head-Fier
I have been watching and reading a lot of reviews about the superlux 668b ad 681 evo and settled down to these 2 as my starter headphone. I was aiming for the phillips shp9500 to drop to 50-60 range but they are way over 100 now. So I need to decide between these two and all over the internet the community is divided between the two.

I mostly use my headphones for music, gaming and movies and they're always stationary besides my laptop. I mostly listen to acoustic musics. To have a general idea of what type of music I listen to, here's a list:
1. Lord of the Rings soundtrack (Concerning Hobbits, Into the west, Rohan Theme)
2. Broadway Musicals (Hamilton-Satisfied, Wait for it; Dear Evan Hansen-Waving Through a Window, Requeim)
3. Instrumentals especially violin and violin covers: Lindsey Stirling (Take Flight), Taylor Davis and piano like Yiruma (River Flows in you, Maybe, Kiss the rain)
4. Movie Soudtracks (The Greatest Showman, Now we are Free, Ectasy of Gold)
5. Two Steps from Hell musics
6. Disney Songs
7. Classical pieces: Gabriel's Oboe, Ode to Joy, Eine Kleine Nachtmusik
8. Others: Linkin park, Avicii, Ed Sheeren
I have a huge library of .flac audio files so I would love to hear the details.
Moving towards gaming, I am a competitive gamer (I usually manage the top10 leaderboard on most servers) and I rely havily on audio. However, I can accurately pinpoint enemies even on my free earphones. So I want a headphone that makes the games lively and beautiful and immersive. If theres a big difference in imaging between the two, please note that too. I mostly play competitive fps games like CSGO and COD but I do enjoy singleplyer games like Far Cry, Battlefield (singleplayer), Mirrors Edge. I have heard that a greater soundstage makes gaming a lot impressive.
Third, I want the one that is decent for movies. I usually watch musicals, war movies, martial art movies and thriler movies. I only watch movies with DTS audio.
I am a complete noob in these headphones because I can't try them out myself and I need to order these. So I need to heavily rely on your helpful suggestions considering my mentioned tastes.

I have heard that the 668b have bright treble but are more analytical and that the 681 evo have a more focused bass, are more immersive, a comparatively warmer and smoother sound signature and slightly less soundstage. According to Zeos, he prefers 668b for gaming and 681 evo for music but 668b are more detailed. All these are really confusing me.
My priorities Music>Gaming>Movies.

I look foward to your valuable suggestions.

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2018 at 1:08 AM Post #2 of 11
I think your descriptions are spot on. I was between these two and went with the Evo. Couldn't be happier, but then I am really annoyed by sibilant sound signatures (668B). It hurts my ears. Overall, you are probably going to have to make some compromises at this price-point, one way or the other. If I had to do it again, it would be the Evo again for me. FWIW. YMMV, of course, but that is my take. Good luck. :)

Oct 17, 2018 at 1:22 AM Post #3 of 11
HD681 EVO.

Oct 17, 2018 at 3:17 AM Post #4 of 11
I think your descriptions are spot on. I was between these two and went with the Evo. Couldn't be happier, but then I am really annoyed by sibilant sound signatures (668B). It hurts my ears. Overall, you are probably going to have to make some compromises at this price-point, one way or the other. If I had to do it again, it would be the Evo again for me. FWIW. YMMV, of course, but that is my take. Good luck. :)
THanks for your answer. Are there any more reasons why you prefer 681 evo over the 668b? So you think 681 evo is the one for me among the two?

Oct 17, 2018 at 3:26 AM Post #6 of 11
THanks for your answer. Are there any more reasons why you prefer 681 evo over the 668b? So you think 681 evo is the one for me among the two?
It is more balanced, more immersive, really solid bass. Much less objectionable on the top end--a real problem for the 668B IMHO. The soundstage is good--not really a weakness, IMO. The Evo is just a really good sounding headphone especially at its price-point. I agree with @PurpleAngel--it's the Evo. I don't think you will be disappointed.

Oct 17, 2018 at 3:36 AM Post #7 of 11
It is more balanced, more immersive, really solid bass. Much less objectionable on the top end--a real problem for the 668B IMHO. The soundstage is good--not really a weakness, IMO. The Evo is just a really good sounding headphone especially at its price-point. I agree with @PurpleAngel--it's the Evo. I don't think you will be disappointed.
I know I've been asking too much. Sorry for that. But one last question. Is there enough detail and clarity that I will be able to enjoy my .flacs and taste of music? I am now more inclined towards the 681 evo. Previously I was aiming for the 668b. Now I think I'm changing my mind. Thanks for your suggestions.

Oct 17, 2018 at 3:49 AM Post #8 of 11
I know I've been asking too much. Sorry for that. But one last question. Is there enough detail and clarity that I will be able to enjoy my .flacs and taste of music? I am now more inclined towards the 681 evo. Previously I was aiming for the 668b. Now I think I'm changing my mind. Thanks for your suggestions.
No problem. Well, if you are trying to get the most out of your flac files, then the best way to do that is to upgrade your headphone as much as you possibly can. So, if you said you could spend $100 on your headphones, I would say do it--you will find some improvement over the Evo at that price-point for some options (for example, the SoundMAGIC HP151 is a really nice option at a bit over $100). You would likely get more out of your flacs with the SoundMAGIC, eg., but that does not mean you won't enjoy them with the Evo. It is just a matter of how much money you want to spend, ultimately.

Oct 17, 2018 at 9:35 AM Post #9 of 11
No problem. Well, if you are trying to get the most out of your flac files, then the best way to do that is to upgrade your headphone as much as you possibly can. So, if you said you could spend $100 on your headphones, I would say do it--you will find some improvement over the Evo at that price-point for some options (for example, the SoundMAGIC HP151 is a really nice option at a bit over $100). You would likely get more out of your flacs with the SoundMAGIC, eg., but that does not mean you won't enjoy them with the Evo. It is just a matter of how much money you want to spend, ultimately.
I am currently on budget so superlux seems to be the best one for me. So 681 evo it is then. AFAIK, they come with extra velour pads inside the box which is nice. As long as the sounds are not diffused and various instruments and vocals are seperated (I listen to a lot of orchestras and acoustics), I am fixed on the 681 evo. But is it true that 668b are more detailed and more clear? I wont miss much with the 681 right? I would love to expand my headphone inventory in the future but for now I need one below 50$. And thanks for your professional answers.

Oct 17, 2018 at 9:56 AM Post #10 of 11
Oct 17, 2018 at 11:27 AM Post #11 of 11
I am currently on budget so superlux seems to be the best one for me. So 681 evo it is then. AFAIK, they come with extra velour pads inside the box which is nice. As long as the sounds are not diffused and various instruments and vocals are seperated (I listen to a lot of orchestras and acoustics), I am fixed on the 681 evo. But is it true that 668b are more detailed and more clear? I wont miss much with the 681 right? I would love to expand my headphone inventory in the future but for now I need one below 50$. And thanks for your professional answers.
I doubt that you will be disappointed in the Evo. It is always possible, but I doubt it. It is a good headphone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back