Which pair of closed headphone should I get for under $150?
May 26, 2013 at 5:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Shiny-Lights

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone,

I am fairly new to head-fi and I did do some search around the forum trying to get the best closed headphone for under $150.
I only have a pair of HD 203 that I brought from e-bay and honestly speaking my in-ear JVC HAFX1X xtreme-Xplosivs headphone sounds way better than the HD 203.

So now I wanted to buy a pair of good closed headphones to use in my University this fall. I would like a closed pair because I would normally use them in the library and I cant crack up the volume in there while others are studying,so isolation is a must. I dont really care about the looks but would love some comfortable headphones. I listen mostly to songs people make on soundcloud.

Some examples are:
CMA - Without You
Superbus - All Alone (Seven Lions Remix)
Lullabies - Yuna (Adventure Club Remix)
Kill Paris- I Do Love You
Kill Paris- Tender Love (FREE DOWNLOAD)
Florence And The Machine - Cosmic Love (Seven Lions Remix) [DL link in description]
Rameses B - I Need You (feat. Charlotte Haining) (nExow Remix)

I like listen to all kinds of music, but prefer the "light" ones. I personally would choose a music that consists of pure sounds rather than the vocal ones for reference.

Now this is the list that I have so far for my next headphone that I have in mind after reading countless of thread in Head-Fi:

Fostex T50-RP headphones T50RP

[size=medium] Shure SRH840[/size]

[size=small] BRAINWAVZ HM5 Studio Monitor Headphones

[/size]

[size=small][size=small]Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO, 250 ohms[/size]/80 ohms[/size]

[size=small] V-MODA for True Blood V-80 On-Ear Noise-Isolating Metal Headphone

Audio Technica ATH-A900X Headphones

Ultrasone HFI-680

Ultrasone HFI-780

For my budget,I would like to set within the $150 range, I can buy headphones on both ebay and amazon, so I can normally find a cheap pair in ebay acutions. I also dont mind getting a used or refurbished ones as long as they sound good at a reasonable price.

Lastly I thank you all for reading my thread and have a wonderful day. :)

[/size]

May 26, 2013 at 5:36 PM Post #2 of 3
For going to college, definitely get a closed pair. And while a nice headphone, I would also stay away from the A900X. Those wings on the headphones don't make them very portable. Get some headphones that fold up (DJ style).

Next, you should decide if you want a more neutral phone or one with heavier bass for the type of music you listen to.

Finally, for portable sources (phones, mp3 players), 250 ohm headphones are not a good choice unless you have an amp.

May 26, 2013 at 5:42 PM Post #3 of 3
Quote:
For going to college, definitely get a closed pair. And while a nice headphone, I would also stay away from the A900X. Those wings on the headphones don't make them very portable. Get some headphones thafor t fold up (DJ style).

Next, you should decide if you want a more neutral phone or one with heavier bass for the type of music you listen to.

Finally, for portable sources (phones, mp3 players), 250 ohm headphones are not a good choice unless you have an amp.

Hey Cel, thank you for the reply!

I would like a pair of neutral phone for more clarity of the music itself, I also would like some bass, but not the bass heavy type of phones.

I might get an amp later on, but as for now I will just use outputs from my Samsung Galaxy SII smartphone and my sony laptop.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back