Which tube / power supply - on Muse/Bravo Tube amp for HD-330
Oct 18, 2013 at 7:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

r3l1c

New Head-Fier
Hello there :) I've just purchased the Superlux HD-330 and therefore - am thinking about headphone amp. Found out about the Bravo/Muse tube amps and I'm wondering which tube would you guys recommend for this setup. The HD-330 seems to punch out bass a lot .. however, i find the SPACE/Soundstage/ too dull ( i own mdr-xd200 and these may not be sound quality on par - but i guess you'll understand what i mean when I say the MDR feels like a huge outdoors with 3d sound compared to the superlux ). So I'm thinking about the tube amp , and possibly replacing the tube it-self .. as I've read you can mod these amps easily. I think the hd-330 provides a plenty of BASS yet lacks on space/soundstage - - - so keep that in mind when making recommendations. 

PS: Lotsa people used to complain about the noise in such amps , I suspect the right power supply makes the difference ( in some cases - turning of the WIFI as well ) .. so If got any info on that.. feel free to enlighthen me as well. THNX

Oct 18, 2013 at 4:03 PM Post #2 of 7
Might consider replacing the stock ear pads, I did on my HD660s and it really made the headphones more comfortable to wear I was lucky enough to have some well used DT880 ear pads laying around)

The Superlux HD330, HD440, HD660 use the same size ear pads as the Beyerdynamic DT770, DT880, DT990.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ear-Pads-Earpad-Replacement-For-Beyerdynamic-DT770-DT880-DT990-DT-770-Headphones-/251323275425?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item3a8408d8a1

As the HD330s are 150-Ohm,  they really need a headphone amplifier to sound their best.
What sources (sound card?) are you currently plugging the headphones into.

Any of those "Chinese brand" low costing ($50-$120) tube amps will drive the HD330s.

Oct 19, 2013 at 5:22 AM Post #3 of 7
Hello there PurpleAngel :) thanks for the reply

I have audigy 2 card in my desktop, so it drive the headphones to a fairly good level ... however; my computer is quite noisy and I'd prefer to listen to the music without turning it on. I do have a amp that I might use , ( custom build out of http://dx.com/p/y148-audio-amplifier-module-93121 ( this yamaha baby is actually sweet ) ) .. but I was thinking about getting the tube amp for headphones, as it may be used also as a pre-amp. Anyway, I know I'm at cheap/poor level at the  moment so I'm trying to get best sound for low bucks. HD-330 has been compared to much more expensive cans, and there was thig thing you were talking about - modding. I've already read about the part compatibility with Beyer cans, but so far ... even in stock configuration , there are the most comfortable cans I have ever had so I don't consider this to be a important factor at the moment. 

I love the cans, but I would like to get more SPACE out em and I need to drive em hard. Once I found out about those 60USD tube amps from china, i felt in love with those. I know it's not THE REAL THING , but hey .. keeping the spirit - much bang for no bucks :) And mostly - the modding. There are quite a few things you can do with the amp, but mostly .. I've read replacing the tube with a different one, might take the product to a new level. I was hoping that I would stumble onto someone who's been dealing with such amps, and would have a recommendation on which one to use as a replacement , to get most space out of my cans, yet keeping the equalization neutral.

Maybe I should Move/Start this in another section of the headfi forum ? 

Oct 19, 2013 at 5:33 AM Post #4 of 7
Some of those low cost tube amplifiers can be fine adjusted for balance and voltage output.
Check on the website Rockgrotto, there are several threads there about modications for these tube amps.

Feb 4, 2015 at 7:19 PM Post #5 of 7
  Some of those low cost tube amplifiers can be fine adjusted for balance and voltage output.
Check on the website Rockgrotto, there are several threads there about modications for these tube amps.

FYI - http://www.korg.com/us/news/2015/012212/

MAYBE this will be the future of headphone amps ?

Mar 7, 2016 at 2:53 PM Post #7 of 7
  Can my phone drive these headphones at decent volume, it is new phone Oneplus two?? Right now I dont have money for amp.

The HD330 are a good value for their audio quality, but the cable they come with is way too stiff.
Check out the Takstar Pro 80 (Gemini HSR-1000) headphones, should be a little easier for the phone to drive them, over the Superlux HD330.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back