Who Here Has A Tattoo? Pics?
Jun 6, 2004 at 1:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 95

ipodstudio

Banned: - aka full monty - aka didikossa - aka R1D1 - aka migraineboy - aka setharmstrong - aka threavester - aka Sarah.B - aka javier - aka DoomV1 - aka JIAA
When I read a comment by eyeteeth in another thread it came into my mind to ask my fellow Head-Fiers which of them had adorned themselves with tattoos?
wink.gif

I must admit to having one around my left bicep, which was done for me in Sweden about 5 years ago. It figures a black panther jumping over a barbed-wire fence and symbolises a period in my life when my back was against the wall and I was forced to fight very hard for what I believe in.

I'll try to get a picture in the mirror some time, though my wife will wonder what on earth I'm getting up to on my internet excursions..
icon10.gif

I have no regrets about getting it done and it sits nicely in a place that is almost always hidden from view, except for those who are close to me..
wink.gif

How about the rest of you?

Jun 6, 2004 at 1:41 PM Post #3 of 95
Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Pa
Got you thinking, didn't I?
icon10.gif

LOL!! Yep, you did...
lach_3.gif

Jun 6, 2004 at 1:56 PM Post #4 of 95
I have a cross on my left hand middle finger that i did when i was 13.

means nothing and was something to do 'cause my buds had the same tat so .......

When i was very young i was more of a "me too" guy and followed the crowd

Obviously i got that out of my system early and became more of a "get out of my face and leave me alone unless you have something important to say " type of person and where i lead no one really wants to follow , even if they could
icon10.gif

BTW-I also pierced my ear around the same time but that I don't regret one bit . In fact I like my earring and enjoy selecting one to match the occasion-diamond post,gold loop,dangle cross...

Jun 6, 2004 at 2:01 PM Post #5 of 95
If this is also a discussion of tats, and hopefully without insulting anybody of differing views, I'd like to throw in my two cents:

Cent #1: In my aforementioned job in the DFB twenty-five years ago in Chicago, I ran into a lot of young corpses with tatoos. Some of these were for gang identification, some were to camouflage intravenous drug use injection scars, and some were evidently for self-expression. All I'm saying is that I noticed that the young folks back then with tats were over-represented in the young dead. Made me think. Getting average people in the middle class to embrace tattooing as acceptable "body art" is only slightly more amazing to me than getting average people in the middle class to desire light trucks for their daily rides. Monkey see; monkey do.
biggrin.gif

Cent #2: When I look back over my long, illustrious career, I often realize that If I had gotten caught doing some of the stuff I did repeatedly as a young spud, I probably would not have been allowed to do the neat stuff I got to do later and continue to do to this very day. Getting caught, in my considerable experience, has something to do with bad luck and a lot to do with being identified. Anything that is of a uniques and identifying character could wind up helping put your ass in the slam. Tattoes often fall in this category, in fact most police report forms I have used and seen have a special box for tattooes and other unique identifying characteristics (like having two heads). Think before you mark yourselves, people.

Jun 6, 2004 at 2:16 PM Post #8 of 95
Eh, I guess my desire for a fulfilled life of self expression outweighs my concern about being "identified" :p I think the real solution to that would be not to put yourself in that type of situation.

I have 2 tattoos.. one is a mayan symbol, called "Ahau", on my right shoulder. The other I just got, a sun, on the back of my neck. I'll take some pics in a bit..

Jun 6, 2004 at 2:19 PM Post #9 of 95
Honestly, I do not like them at all, and I prefer that everybody think the same way, but it seems that i will be alone in a couple of years. IMO they serve no purpose at all, and they are not needed, OTOH is not properly done, it could carry you infections, and a lot of health problems, and there is no more disgusting thing that seeing a old guy laying in bed in a hospital, all full of tattoos, IMO it is disgusting, and shocking, I have seen a couple, and I still remember the faces of those poor fellows...
They are also against my religion, and the most important thing, against my principles, sorry I was grown looking at tattoos as a thing for sailors and ex-convicts/delinquents....Now it is more common everyday, specially among young people, IMO a real shame. There is no reason to mark your body like that, a fashion? maybe, but sometimes a dangerous one....same as piercing...
One thing to point is that when you are young, they are cute, it is "a fashion" you are a hero. Once you get older, you begin to regret of them, and once you are old, most of the times you are ashamed of them and try to hide them....Sorry guys, no tattoos for me, I hate those, get rid of them please!!!!! Look Ozzy Osbourne now, when he was on his 20's, he looked amazing, now he look pathetic....IMO of course, no offense for the ones who like them but mine is just one more opinion of the bunch that do not like tattos....Do not feel offended, please, I have a lot of friends with tattoos, but I do not like them, sorry, no tattoos and no piercing.....
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif

Jun 6, 2004 at 2:24 PM Post #10 of 95
Well, I got my first and one and only tattoo when I was 32 years of age. Now I'm 37 it still looks great.
wink.gif
...of course that could just be because I still look 20 but....
icon10.gif

EDIT: ..and Ozzy would have looked pathetic even without the tattoos..
icon10.gif

Jun 6, 2004 at 2:26 PM Post #12 of 95
Tatoos need to considered carefully due to their permanence. I hate poorly executed, gaudy, attention seeking, or too numerous tatoos. Maybe because some of my acquaintances appear to be part-map/part-man I've been conservative. I also went to Art college so i'm naturally picky.

Jun 6, 2004 at 2:34 PM Post #13 of 95
OK, balancing on one foot in the mirror trying to take a picture of one arm is a real pain, so please understand the camera shake in the photo..
icon10.gif
Plus getting my arm in a position that looks like I still have a bicep is not easy either..
icon10.gif

Here goes:

tattoo.jpg

Jun 6, 2004 at 2:36 PM Post #14 of 95
I have nothing against body art. But I think you'll choose something a really good tattoo if you think - will I want this on my body when I'm 85? If the answer is yes then by all means go for it.

Two reasons I don't have a tattoo. Firstly, I am a complete wimp to pain. I am so over-sensitive that things like tickling are painful. Secondly, I haven't found anything I'd want on my body when I'm 85. But I do keep looking anyway.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 6, 2004 at 2:45 PM Post #15 of 95
Quote:

Originally Posted by plainsong
I have nothing against body art. But I think you'll choose something a really good tattoo if you think - will I want this on my body when I'm 85? If the answer is yes then by all means go for it.

Two reasons I don't have a tattoo. Firstly, I am a complete wimp to pain. I am so over-sensitive that things like tickling are painful. Secondly, I haven't found anything I'd want on my body when I'm 85. But I do keep looking anyway.
smily_headphones1.gif

I can tell you that when they tattood the inside of my arm it took alot of discipline not to take a swipe at the tattooist....he kept looking at me strange, too so he probably sensed it..
icon10.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back